Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. paddymickey

paddymickey Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Did u see it marty? Hiw did it go?

2. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
  3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    First item on radio 1 sports bulletin this morning was Cons win!! - I thought I was dreaming! (About a boxer getting first mention from RTE - not that he won!!)

4. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    He weighed 213?

Is he thinking of getting down to CW?

5. fra

fra Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 11, 2008
    ring article about sheehan:good

Michael Woods Michael Woods
    Con Sheehan, the heavyweight hopeful

January 20, 2016

A more normal order has been restored in the domestic boxing coverage scene, what with Wladimir Klitschko being toppled from his perch.

Tyson Fury is a talkative gent, one who, yes, sometimes finds his mouth full of his Chuck Taylors, but he has helped restore some lost buzz; Deontay Wilder is a bit unrefined but has a right hand which can instill a healthy fear in a block of granite; and people gaze with hopeful eyes at prospects like Anthony Joshua, hopeful for a day when we can at least call a current era a “Bronze Age,” if not a Golden one.

All matters heavyweight are more so in the zone of attention now, and that applies to the pro debut of 6-5 Irishman Con Sheehan. He popped onto my radar because he’s managed by the amiable helmer Gary Hyde, who found Guillermo Rigondeaux. I asked Hyde about Sheehan, a six time Irish amateur champ, who fought and won Tuesday evening in California. What’s this lad all about, Gary?

“Mike, I have watched Con boxing since he was a junior amateur boxer. He has beat some great Irish international boxers over the year in the national championships. He is 6-5, 220 pounds, has great movement. When I went to sign him he was sparring a bare-knuckle fighter and the guy had to stop and vomit a number of times as Con attacked his body with great accuracy and power.”

Ah, boxing…where vomitousness can be used as an endorsement…

I asked Hyde what he saw after I heard Sheehan, trained by the esteemed Virgil Hunter, tutor to Andre Ward and Amir Khan, got the W at Club Nokia Tuesday. “He punched well above his weight when he took on 270 pound Jonnie Rice (2-1-1 with 2 KOs),” Hyde told me. “Con fought at a high pace, using great distance with combinations. He won a wide unanimous decision and looked really comfortable fighting as a pro for the first time.”

Sheehan, outweighed by about 60 pounds on fight night, himself then offered his thoughts on the experience. “I loved it in there and really felt great,” the 26-year-old said. “I want to fight again as soon as possible and slowly but surely get to the top.”

So, what’s the probable arc of advancement for the kid, Mr. Hyde?

“In three years, he will be knocking on the door…and likely knocking it down!”

6. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    id say he could make cruiser tbh, I wonder who the bare knuckle boxer he made vomit was? any ideas

7. fra

Jan 11, 2008
    sh.ite in the bucket:think:good

8. gmurphy

Oct 30, 2013
    was it him?:lol: why on earth would con be fighting davy joyce?:lol:

also no way con is 6'5

9. gmurphy

Oct 30, 2013
    listed at 6'5 and a half on boxrec, he is more like 6'3 on the dot id say

10. fra

Jan 11, 2008
    sh.ite in the bucket is a super heavy... lost to big s.e.xy in the senior finals a few years back or have I got this wrong:huh:good

11. gmurphy

Oct 30, 2013
    I think he was super heavyweight champion in like 2009 but he has obviously gone seriously down hill from the:lol: I don't see why con would be sparring him

12. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Any chance Nolan will go pro now?

13. gmurphy

Oct 30, 2013
    highly doubt it, he is like 28 a guard and hasn't got a great pro style, much prefer to see Moylette turn pro

14. marty

marty Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 20, 2008
    No I was hoping they might show but it didnt happen. Im not to sure about his weight, would like to see him coming in around 224 lbs

15. fra

Jan 11, 2008
    Ireland is a possible venue for Fury Klitscho 2