Is Fury considered a genetic freak?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mister Pugilist, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Fury is very skilful for a man his size. Wonder if he was trained from a young age or naturally gifted. He can sit down on punches and hurt people, but I would not classify him as a power puncher. Getting up in round 12 of his first fight with Wikder was a special moment showing true grit.

ikrasevic likes this.
  2. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I saw Fury IRL once and this guy is just freaking huge. And back then he wasn't 270 pounds. He's just a freak.

Everyone who thinks all those 70s,80s,90s HWs could have beaten him are delusional af

Fury would destroy guys like Ali, Foreman, Tyson etc.

It's almost impossible to beat this guy.

3. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He was trained from a young age. His father was a fighter and named him Tyson after Mike Tyson, also Gypsies and boxing go hand in hand, so it's safe to assume the moment he was old enough to put on a pair of gloves he was being taught how to box.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He is and there'll never be another like him.

5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    No, he's not a genetic freak. He's just a natural fighter with an excellent ring iq who happens to be huge and not a total oaf. He definitely has oafish tendencies though, and early in his career fought like a bit of a numpty till he began to settle into his groove.

Wlad was more of a genetic freak than Fury. Huge, powerful, explosive, fast, coordinated. But he never had Fury's crazy ring iq.

catchwtboxing likes this.
  6. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Boar meat. He gets it from the same butcher as Canelo get his beef.

7. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Of course. This is what I've been saying.

Guys can deny him a pound-for-pound berth on account of his size (even after granting a high rating to the much less versatile Klitschko as reward for knocking down a thoroughly ho-hum string of contenders), parrot that he only wins fights 'because he big'.

But they do so ignorantly, or else wilfully, choosing to ignore established reality, i.e. that there comes a point where behemothic stature constitutes a disadvantage moving up the levels of heavyweight prizefighting. Men as enormous as Fury have never done the things that he has done and still does in this sport. He defies the limitations that nature invariably imposes on boxers his size. Or, uh, maybe I missed Big Sky's lineal reign (worth noting that Fury was mockingly compared to Fields early on).

'If Fury wasn't so big...'

Oh, please do make it possible. Beseech the scientific community to find a way to make it so your Auntie has balls, then use that tech to shrink Fury to any ballpark dimensions that spring to mind, and he will be a multi-division champ and be widely considered the P4P Picasso.

8. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    He has great mobility and just has a big frame and big skull, if it wasn’t for his thick size then he would not have gotten up from wilders cross in their first fight.

9. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    immense fighting heart and extraordinary powers of recovery

His first days on Earth were a fight for his life. He was born to be the world's heavyweight champeen. Special, and the deniers can't even fool themselves otherwise.

10. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    He does have freakish and frankly repulsive love handles, and he's very hairy in Valuevian sort of way, but otherwise no, just large. There are dozens of 6'7" basketball and US football players way more athletic than he is. Look up Aaron Judge; a true 6'8" incredibly gifted athlete, no fat on his body at all. Probably not hairy but I have no data either way. And he isn't a compulsive liar, a mental case, a drunk and ex druggie.

11. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    Who would likely all have looked a lot less superhuman — and, frankly, sucked — if they'd tried to apply their athleticism to boxing.

Wilder played some hoopball and look how you guys talk about him. :lol: Might well be there are athletic contexts where he could make Fury look like an oaf, but we know the boxing ring isn't one of them. And he didn't even take up the sport that late. On the other hand, we can rightly argue that Deontay's done pretty well in boxing all the same. Thing is, them other hypothetical would-be boxer hoopballers probably wouldn't have had a game-changing right hand gifted from God to make them a chanpionship factor.

Basketball and US football ain't boxing. There are types and facets of athleticism (the ability to run fast doesn't mean you'll be twinkle-toed in a ring, for example).

12. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Of course, I'm not saying they would make good boxers, only that being 6'7" doesn't make you a freak.
    And I believe many of the pro football players are much more athletic than Fury, are actually heavier in some cases by 30-40 pounds and can run like gazelles. Take a punch? Probably not.

13. navigator

Nov 5, 2017
    Not in an of itself. But a man of Fury's size demonstrating his range of boxing ability and prowess is unprecedented. The smaller Primo was champeen for a year or so, but was not near as good as Fury. The larger Valuev's gargantuan dimensions did get him as far as holding a paper belt for a while, but he was nowhere near Tyson's level. The smaller Klitschko was a keen technician at range and enjoyed a reign, but was never as natural a boxer as Tyson.

Seth Mitchell springs to mind. (Granted, I never actually saw him run.) :lol:

14. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I was at a poker table with Regis Philbin, Tyson Fury and the surviving cast of F Troop. Also, George Zipp was not in attendance. He was suffering in a convalescent facility. The year? I don't remember. But a contest broke out. Some people mentioned Forrest Tucker, and this clay sculpture that was made, based on a cast of a certain anatomical feature of ole F-Tuck's. Well, now, boys, listen. I don't want to get into that and put this thread too far off of its intended purposes but, uh,...Tyson and Regis measured up pretty well to old Forest. And that's the truth. Now, I'm not one to hold up other men as idols, gods, even prophets or preachers. But as examples for things we should all try to be, no matter how many infowars supplements it takes, I do hold up genetic freaks like Tyson J. and Regis R. Fury and Philbin, respectively. In fact, when Tyson stood next to Tucker's sculpture and said "I basically won one for the Zipper" and winked, and we all bowed our heads in a moment of silence out of respect for George Zipp; we all shed a little tear and shouted "Alba gu bràth!" before sacrificing a small tan rabbit of questionable parentage. It was how we celebrated life and gave tribute. It was a fine day.

15. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Uniquely talented. Never seen a fighter that big move so well. High ring IQ also. Last few fights he has been sitting down on his punches, getting the KOs.

navigator likes this.