Is George Foreman the most overrated fighter in history?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Blg Man, Dec 5, 2022.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    All respect to your views, my friend.

Eddie Ezzard and swagdelfadeel like this.
  3. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Might be the most padded record in heavyweight history (after Shannon Briggs) but an impressive career with solid victories and a few great victories. Still, his biggest wins were BIG. History making.

Definitely a folk hero among his fans who can crush bones in a single bound and cause fighters to suffer humiliating losses in their very next bout after facing him.

Foreman, Liston, Dempsey and Tyson are on the Mount Rushmore of BAD MOTHERF*CKERS.

Top 10 ATG Heavyweight for sure.

slash and RulesMakeItInteresting like this.
  4. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    One of the most repeated pieces of propaganda I’ve ever seen on this forum. One of those things people not saying you, read and repeat without giving it much personal judgment in my opinion. Watching him I personally don’t see it you might but I saw him fall head first into traps he was being lead not chasing regardless of the commercial product being sold.

greynotsoold likes this.
  5. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I’d drop Foreman and Tyson from that list and add Johnson and John L.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree with the overall point that Foreman shouldn't be top 5. With that said his comeback was amazing. The man took 10 years off before coming back. He faced two undefeated Heavyweight Champions Holyfield and Moorer. Foreman gave a good account of himself in both fights.

I don't really look at anything he did after that as a boxer because he was just taking a victory lap and getting paid well.

Let me know when another athlete takes 10 years off and can do what George did. It does make him tough to rate because it's like they were two different fighters. In the 70s he was on top for a very short time.

His power wasn't overrated though. It was uncommon.

7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    What ever they say about Foreman, how many heavyweight Champs could come back and win the title again, at the age of 46!?
    That's just crazy and despite his faults, that s one thing George is taking to the grave with him.

8. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I have him at #6. I can see arguments for him being lower.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  9. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    So, it looks like ( unless I have read it wrong ) that on a list of BadMotherf'ckrs you would replace Tyson/Foreman with Jack Johnson and John L Sullivan , they are unusual picks, if I might be so bold, but as I have said on many occasions, you pays your money, and take your picks.
    stay safe amigo, chat soon.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  10. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Why?

11. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    He had a style advantage over Frazier n Norton but those r still top rated wins. Can't take that away from him. Don't fault him from getting dropped by Ali n Young but sum r harsh about it. Dude was exhausted both times but he needed those losses to learn how to pace himself later in his career.

His comeback was very orchestrated but if u fault Foreman for that u hafta fault others such as post prison Tyson too. Still beat Moorer to make history again, can't discredit that.

U need hella ring IQ and/or sturdiness to beat him in his prime he's a beast H2H. Still a top 5 heavyweight of the 70s and an ATG but this thread has me reassessing Nortons place despite losing to George.

ETM likes this.
  12. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Ali and Holmes beat ANY version of Foreman...............wait , a diminished Ali did laying on the ropes and the most "powerful" Heavy that has ever lived, according to Classic Forum Folklore, barely won a round before getting stopped.

Holmes would not lay on the ropes and box Foreman silly until wild swinging zero defense Big George runs out of gas, if past prime Ali can bounce lead rights like candy on Foreman so will Holmes.

Grandpa Holmes literally begged to fight Comeback Foreman but Big George blamed "not enough" money despite the fight would have pulled plenty aka he was afraid to loose, and loose he would against Pensioner Holmes.

From a historical perspective his win against Moorer at age 45 was worth noting yet I can pull at least 5 fighters at the same time frame who would have waxed that glass chinned Ex Light Heavy without much fuss or would not need the lucky punch in the 11th hour to get bailed out after being almost white washed.

The Long Count and Sangria like this.
  13. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    To be fair, these are the types discussions that really do make me appreciate @McGrains top 100 heavy list, especially what he had to say about the top 14, which I think is effectively a top 15 after Wlad’s retirement. Although bias will always play a part in the clear top 2, Ali and Louis. He really hits the nail on the head when he says that any of these 13 fighters could be argued to be anywhere in that 3-15 range. Maybe George does score in that higher bracket, but every one of those other 13 fighters have something going for them that George doesn’t. Maybe 15 is a little low for George, but Whether it be more greater depth in opposition, longer title reigns or more wins over top 10 oppositions or H2H rankings, there’s plenty of arguments for certain fighters in that range that could be rated above him depending your criteria

14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don’t think he’s overrated, no.

15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    The comeback iteration of Foreman is one of the most underrated fighters at HW.

You had to be the best versions of Holyfield and Tommy Morrison to ever enter the ring to beat him. His jab was a lethal weapon unless you had the legs to move around it

Id favour the 88-91 version to beat most top contenders in history