Is Groves been massivly underrated??

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by nurological, Feb 11, 2018.

1. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    All i seem to hear is talk that he is in decline and if it goes to a war he loses!

Groves can fight! I dont know where this myth has come from but the lad has heart and can fight inside if he needs to.

Is he on the decline?!? You could argue he is experienced at the top level and coming into his prime.

Either way i cant wait for Saturday!

Sugar 88, N17, Twentyman and 2 others like this.
  2. RoughD

RoughD Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2006
    I've always rated him

He's Had bad luck with his trainers in the past which have stalled his progress IMO.

He's a brilliant price at the bookies, Eubanks the type of guy who doesn't mind taking shots to land his own, and I think GG will land something big.

Sugar 88, N17 and Suspect.chin like this.
  3. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I think Groves beats Eubank soundly.

Sugar 88, N17 and Suspect.chin like this.
  4. Plaza

Plaza Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Groves too big strong and experienced to lose to eubank Jr... Eubank does not have the knockout punch to stop groves IMO

N17, Suspect.chin and ipitythefool like this.
  5. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    He has definitely never been the same fighter since Froch 2, which took something out of him.
    However Groves has great ability, no doubt. Writing him off or expecting Jnr to walk through him is nonsense.
    Having said that, I feel Eubank is still improving as a fighter. There are stamina issues with Groves, the man can be hurt and you don't know for sure if he will perform.
    I fancy Eubank to grind out a win with a late stoppage.

projexx and N17 like this.
  6. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Many posters on here have expressed very strongly their belief groves will win and pointed out his strengths very clearly. So NO he is most definitely not being under rated at all. By no means.

N17 and Devon Dog like this.
  7. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Massively I think.

If he wins I hope he gets the credit he deserves, let's not forget he's classed as the underdog for this fight.

Watched some Eubank Jnr fights back, along with some sparring footage. Still leaves chin hanging in the air, off balance.

I think he's going to get caught by a counter left hook, right uppercut and bodyshots in particular, think there's a good chance he gets dropped in this one.

BEATDOWNZ, RoughD, N17 and 1 other person like this.
  8. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Yes I do believe he has been underrated by quite a few.

People forget the Badou Jack fight was a split decision and Groves was badly hurt in the 1st and fought back with many thinking he won. Badou Jack happens to be a damn beast.

Since then Groves has been on a tear and has become a world champion, IMO he should be undisputed no1 based on form and resume. The fact that he isn't definitely means he's underrated

Either way I believe the winner will get full credit, however that doesn't mean the loser will definitely be humbled and embarrassed. It just depends how the fight plays out.

Obviously if one fighter is outclassed then they will be written off and that is probably to be expected.

S.K, N17, im sparticus and 3 others like this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    i think he has just been fighting, mostly, higher level oppositon since the froch fights. Granted he hasnt reached the heights of froch 1 but id say he is better than before that.

N17 likes this.
  10. Devon Dog

Devon Dog Member Full Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Lost to Froch (at his best) Only lost to Jack Marry said he hits harder than GGG

Next week he fights a bloke who takes pride in stopping fighters at British level fighters while claiming to be a world level fighter
    Very tough fight for Grooves next week but he has defiantly been underrated and he will prove it
    Winning this fight will not only cement his name among fight fans but also casual sports fans

Suspect.chin likes this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Good thread.

Groves was 25 when he lost that second fight to Froch. It was the best thing to ever happen to him. This 29 year old version of Groves is much better. He doesn’t throw with the punches anymore and leave himself wide open, he picks his shots instead. He’s wiser, more patient and humble (due in large part to Gutknecht’s injuries).

This idea that Groves is some kind of sitting duck in the championship rounds and will be picked off by Eubank is a myth. Yes, he gets tired like all fighters do, however, he has only been stopped by Froch. He lost to Jack in a split decision over 12 rounds and sneaked the last 2 rounds. He went 12 with Gutknecht and won the championship rounds. He battered Murray over 12 rounds. Rebrasse was never in it. You’re going back 6 years+ for his other 12 round wins over Johnson and Degale. He’s a world champion that’s only ever lost once over 12 rounds.

Maybe it’s because he is ginger, and as a result he reddens up and looks absolutely ragged, but the proof is in his results.

Furey, S.K, stittyb and 6 others like this.
  12. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    should never have left booth

fought the wrong fight against jack

can't wait to see him tag jr and see how he reacts

good fight on the undercard between lowe and walsh

RoughD likes this.
  13. EX7EY

EX7EY YDKSAB Full Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Said it before myself, dont understand at all where this feeling that GG may be a bit shop worn comes from. People talk about the Froch losses as if they were the end of him. No denying the KO defeat in the second fight may have taken something out of him for a short while but the guys still young for goodness sake. If anything he is actually now in his absolute prime and he's on the incline, not decline. Yes sometimes his victories dont necessarily look crisp and clean but it's just the way he fights.
    He has a very very decent resume and I'm sorry but he his far too experienced to let somebody like Eubank Jr swarm him into defeat. I really don't think Eubank has the power to KO George with one shot and George is far too good a boxer to just get blasted out with a Eubank 11 punch feather fist combo, just not gonna happen.
    I checked the odds last night, Groves is 13/8 for the win with my bookie and I've had a pretty large chunk at that price, printing money IMO.

S.K and RoughD like this.
  14. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Yes but has groves never scored a stoppage after 6, twenty. Be interesting to see what happens if it's the 8th Or 9th and CEJ is still forcing the pace.

15. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    To be fair, Eubank has only clean KOed one person and that was avni Yildirim, all his other stoppages have been by TKO.

He's also only done the full 12 rounds twice, once against BJS and once again Abraham, he virtually did 12 against Chudinov though to be fair.

The Abraham fight he was allowed to fight at his own pace and I doubt he will get that luxury this fight, I think that's going to throw him out of his comfort zone.