Is Jaron Ennis the real deal?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Bladesmanstan, Feb 9, 2022.

Is Jaron Ennis the real deal?

1. Yes absolutely

26.2%
  2. Needs to be tested more to judge

69.0%
  3. Totally overrated

4.8%
  1. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    he hasnt fought anyone with a pulse

Bladesmanstan likes this.
  2. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Hard to say when he hasn’t faced any real comp. Definitely has ability and is someone who many people will be watching. I like what I see so far but won’t go overboard like many. Everyone these days just wants to be the first to say “I told you so, I knew from the beginning”.

3. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Voted needs more testing but he's really at that edge and I'd say I'm sold that he will hold a real belt at some point. For me his floor is the Caleb Plant level, snatched a belt and defended against some weak opposition but eventually ran into a champion who is a on higher tier of ability.

Whether he could reach even higher and be a worthy successor to the great WW-MW champions through the years is yet to be seen.

4. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Needs tested more I reckon. He has looked good so far though. Anyone remember Berto when he first turned Pro...he looked lethal and eventually as the competition stepped up he struggled more and more.

5. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Boots is absolutely the real deal. And he already has better wins than Porter had at a similar stage of his career.

I think Boots at this point is top 5ish at WW. Eventually once Spence moves up (if he doesn't retire), and Crawford's prime ends, Boots and Ortiz will be one of the top 3 WW's (along with Josh)

6. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    He does need to step up, he's levels above the guys he's fought recently.

Looking at him he looks like he's going to be a top welterweight. He has the size, decent movement, decent hand speed, he counter punches nicely not just from the outside but on the inside too. He has a pretty well rounded skill set including a solid defence. If he's given the opportunities I will be surprised if he doesn't pick up a world title at some point.

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    I think he is yes. Although I feel like his mean streak could be his undoing, he fights way to aggressive imo although it could work sorta like Crawford.

The fact I'm comparing to Crawford should show how highly I think of him though.

8. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Exactly my thoughts, he looks to me like the real deal but there's a sliver of the unknown with him at this point. I think he'll prove himself in a big fight but as Judge Roy Bean said," men are like watermelons, you don't know what they're made of until they've been thumped"

velagod and Serge like this.
  9. uranage

uranage Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    My opinion, Ennis have not faced no one on their resume nearly as skilled as Spence & Crawford. I don't even know if they can beat any of the 2nd tier guys (Thurman, Garcia, Ugas, Porter) and then there are other fellow prospect (Bustaev, Stananios, Benn, Yeleussinov, & Besputin) who are not walks in the park.

With that being said, they are both good prospect but the eyeball test is not enough.

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    :lol: Cool quote

He certainly, bare minimum, possesses the talent to win a world title. Many far less gifted fighters have done so.

Reinhardt likes this.
  11. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So i guess theyre trying to mstch Ennis with Custio Clayton on the Fundora undercard. Not exactly the type of step up i was hoping for, but a pretty decent fight nontheless.

12. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    seems it
    i having him beating spence down the line

13. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    His punch power and athleticism look impressive for 147. Need to see him fight better opposition and get that chin tested.

14. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    He's a good fighter, but he need to tighten up his defenses at close-mid range. He relies on his reflexes too much to avoid punches in mid range. He got hit more than he should be in the Lipinets fight, but Lipinets had no power at 147.

At close range, he is susceptible to getting caught with ring hands and left hooks. Against a guy like Crawford and other power punchers, it won't end well for him.

He need to fight better guys. I'd like to see him against the Mean Machine as a measuring stick.

15. Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2020
    He losses to Terence “TBE” Crawford