Is this forum overrating Larry Holmes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Mar 22, 2022.

1. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Of course ... and that's what separates General from Classic .. Prime Holmes is tough H2H for any heavy .. . and imo , he would come out with a winning record with the 6 you just mentioned above

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  2. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I used to be more excited for new fights, but now a days there is co much ducking and corrupt decisions it's hard to get as excited. PPV to watch some hype job against a non-contender? No thanks!

surfinghb likes this.
  3. surfinghb

Aug 26, 2017
    Ya me too .. how many times has Crawford , Spence , and Thurman got in the ring with each other ?? over what the last 5 years ? lol
    Enough said .... I hear ya ..

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    He gets over rated here for sure. I don’t think he falls in top five and borderline not top ten. Mainly his competition wasn’t good but he also didn’t dominate the competition like some of his competitors in the top ten may have. He also lost or had super close decisions with the best he faced.

5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    In my opinion there are other fighters who are severely overrated, they did not have longevity on their side to be considered great. Larry Holmes was a fine champion. He was not a flash in the pan to make numerous excuses over.

HellSpawn86 and Fergy like this.
  6. surfinghb

Aug 26, 2017
    Well we are glad that the thread doesn't say Marciano right ?? Are you sure this doesn't have to do with that ? somehow? Putting Holmes outside the top 10 criminally underrates him .. and a lot more than Marciano in case you are wondering ??
    All good having Larry top 5 -10 .. but much outside ,, You are reaching

7. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    You do know that beating a young very good fighter is better than a shot ATG right? Bruh? Shot Tyson, It's a f*cking shot Tyson. Norton was only slightly past his best who was coming of a pretty good win over Jimmy Young. If you count shot Tyson is a career defining win for Lewis than Shot Ali would become Holmes career defining win

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  8. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Good lord…not everything is Marciano related mate lol. We are referring to Holmes. Plenty of Marciano threads. Growing up Holmes wasn’t considered all that “great”. Modern revisionist history try’s to say otherwise. I have Holmes in my top ten personally but I can see an argument of
    Ali, Louis, Lewis, Foreman, Liston, Wlad, Frazier, Marciano, Tyson, Johnson, Jeffries, Holyfield, Langford to be made over him.
    The odd Marciano obsession continues. Even in posts completely unrelated.

9. The Phenom

The Phenom Pretty Handsome Full Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Norton,Williams,witherspoon,snipes,weaver,shavers.A lot of guys either hurt him or gave him a very competitive fight.I also heard he turned down 3.5 million dollars to fight Greg page because he didn’t think it was enough.

Top 10 is fair I think,but certainly not top 3.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I agree. His chin could be shaky at times, his defense was great and his offense underrated.