Is Wilder the most exciting fighter since Tyson?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GotchaHat, Aug 16, 2022.

1. GotchaHat

GotchaHat Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Is Wilder the most exciting fighter since a young Mike Tyson?

shadowuppercut likes this.
  2. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If they marketed him correctly no reason why touch of death couldn't have capitalized more.

sasto and shadowuppercut like this.
  3. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Hard to pick only one man as the most exciting fighter since Mike, but Wilder certainly is one of them, regardless of whether his haters like it or not

ikrasevic likes this.
  4. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    no. having some skills would have helped. there is excitement there though...just not the Mike Tyson level imho.

catchwtboxing and kiwi_boxer like this.
  5. kiwi_boxer

kiwi_boxer nighty night, ellerbe ☠ ☠ ☠ banned Full Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I'll admit Wilder is incredibly exciting to watch. Each time Fury dropped him I was in hysterics. There's only certain fights that have me on my feet laughing or cheering - fight 2 and 3 had me folded like a lawn chair.

don owens likes this.
  6. shadowuppercut

shadowuppercut New Member Full Member

Aug 3, 2022
    Way less excitement at heavyweight without Wilder. I've been watching more of the lower weight classes lately.

sasto likes this.
  7. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Evander Holyfield
    Tommy Morrison
    David Tua

sasto likes this.
  8. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Based on a false metric. He has beaten mostly mobs who he had to outlast to land the big right. Had he fought quality fighters he would be long gone and forgotten at this point.

I mean, bar fights can be exciting.

9. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    The simple answer is no. Just being able to knock someone out doesn't make a fight exciting. It just makes the knockout part of the fight exciting. Tyson was always moving, on the prowl, searching for an opening. His punches were thrown with power and ferocity. A lot of Wilder's fights are boring other than the big moment.

For me the most exciting fighter since Iron Mike is Manny Pacquiao and among active fighters it is Naoya Inoue.

10. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    If by since Mike Tyson, we mean post 2005, not as exciting as Tyson or contempories such as Holyfield, and we limit it to HW, still not sure.

AJ gives him a good run for his money. Big glass cannon, not a lot of clinching, got flashy offense, and in recent years it feels like he's capable of beating or losing to anyone.

What AJ lacks is personality. Wilder's father (grandfather? Uncle? I forget) was a preacher and it shows. He understands drama, contrast, and what people want to see. He's not on Tyson's level here, but there is also a genuine darkness and instability.

What Wilder lacks is a bunch more quality fights and Fury 1 and 3 were almost painful in that they showed those missing fights could have been classics.

Fogger likes this.
  11. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    No not even close, just because he's a big puncher doesn't mean he's exciting on the level of Tyson. I mean what's his most exciting fight? The first Fury fight or perhaps the 3rd, where he was out boxed for 90% of the fight and landed nothing of consequence. I think Joshua before the Ruiz loss was more exciting with his war with Wlad.

Tyson had a far more aesthetically pleasing fan friendly style, with his pressure, combo's and intimidating demeanor.

Wilder isn't even the most exciting boxer right now. Inoue for me is far more entertaining and exciting to watch. I think even at heavyweight now, Joyce with his high work rate and willingness to eat punches in exchanges is more exciting. When was the last time Wilder stood and traded? Answer never, he's not that type of fighter. He ends fights in dramatic style due to his right hand but before that finish his fights aren't exactly barn burners like Gatti/Ward, Morales/Barrera, Pac/JMM.

12. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    His first fight against Ortiz was good to watch, Fury 1&3 also.

It’s a stretch to call him the most exciting since Tyson but he’s been good to watch for the reasons we all know. Horses for courses I guess, I’ve always tuned in to his fights.

13. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    No. you need more skills to be excited, not just windmill power.

Now this is exciting.

This content is protected

LobsterAndCrack likes this.