Jack Dempsey Vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RAMPAGE0017, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    With all due respect Boiler Oliver and Hasim could both hit a ton as did Sanders - McCall and Hasim had very VERY live shots at kayoing Lewis at any time - as does anyone who can get a shot on versus Vlad Klit - not really the same thing really at all. Flynn flat out could not punch at all - in his next 43 fights after the amazing 1st round KO of the Legendary Jack Dempsey - he compiled an awesome further 7 KO wins from 43 fights (of which he lost 26, 9 by KO) - the guy couldn't punch at all - I'm sorry it just doesn't wash mate - it's like saying Chris BYrd could 1st round KO Mike Tyson!! It just ain't happenin!! Anyone with even an ounce of sense (and no biase against Dempsey - either because he wasn't white or didn't seem sophisticated enough or was too small etc etc etc) knows that there is no way in the world the Flynn genuinely KO'd Dempsey it's a joke - even before the Dempsey fight he'd only managed 4 KO's in his previous 20 fights???!! Come on mate get real - don't fall in line with the haters - be real :good

2. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Rocky, good observations by you ! But your enlightened post will NOT alter the opinions of some posters who are absolutely paranoid. Dempsey's mere name evokes the same reaction as a bull seeing a red cape...It is clinical, I think Rocky !!!:hi::hi:
    Jack Dempsey.!

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    How would you have fought him ?
    "I would have just walked into him ,and thrown punches".
    What sort of punches?
    "Short ones, that come around with a lot of shoulder power behind them"
    Jack Dempsey.

How about that fight Joe?
    " I would want to be very well paid for that fight".
    Joe Louis.

4. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    Mc,two quotes by the two best heavyweights in my opinion. Who would win ? Difficult to say, but as boxing matches are all about style, I'll pick Dempsey.
    Jack was a tremendously fast starter, who guided by Jack Kearns, would have bobbed and weaved into close quarters where he was best at. He would rough up Louis, and hurt Joe with Dempsey's famous short hurting punches, and
    most likely drop Louis before Louis , could get started...
    But my man Joe Louis, was capable of teeing off on Dempsey, as he did with Arturo Godoy in their second bout..
    Result : A toss up, but Dempsey a 7-5 favorite, based on his better set of whiskers....

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    That's how I see it Burt ,Dempsey in Joe's face giving him no chance to establish that immaculate jab, taking him out of his stride and finishing matters inside 2 rds .No reflection on Louis , the longer the fight goes the better Joe's chances, imo.
    I just can't believe the lack of support for Jack here.

6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    .... yeah, and if you put up a Joe Louis v Tyson poll you'd get an overwhelming swing towards Tyson and the reasons given : because of his ferocious opening bell onslaught, he speed coming in, his crowding style etc. ... all attributes that Dempsey had to the maximum.

I do see Dempsey-Louis as a 50-50 proposition though. Just a fight I'd love to see, doesn't matter about picking the winner.

7. Pachilles

Pachilles Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Yeah he had those attributes in his day, fighting only white fighters who looked like ****, had no skill and the majority of them were tiny in comparison.

And no, Louis v Tyson threads tend to go about 50/50 on here, with predictable voters on the side of Louis

8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    And you accuse burt of saying the same thing in every thread. :lol:

And no,

[url]http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214884[/url]

44 votes to Louis, 80 to Tyson, (8 undecided).
    That's a heavy swing towards Tyson.
    It's more like 65- 35 than 50-50

:deal

9. Pachilles

Nov 15, 2009
    Fair play, i didnt think Tyson would be/should be so heavily favoured.

And burt is worse for it than i am, he does it when its not relevant.

On this very page for example, someone is favouring Louis over Dempsey, and he's claiming that its an agenda driven witch hunt to suggest Dempsey wouldnt blast Louis out in the early rounds

10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Well, all you seem to go on about is Dempsey's opponents looking like **** and other disrespectful stuff.
    You've brought Dempsey into several threads where it's not relevant.

No, he's probably aiming those claims at people who say Dempsey and all his opponents were ****.

11. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    P, is there any subject but race, race, race on your mind ? Can 'whitey' [your words] do anything right P.? After all P,this very instrument you are communicating on ,was invented by "whitey". I don't know if U are joking or not ,but stuff that you constantly spout helps NO ONE, not even you P..
    P.S. The man Dempsey, had American Indian blood in his veins, so do you despise him half as much ?. Cheers...

12. Pachilles

Nov 15, 2009
    burt, he refused to fight blacks for his title. His outstanding number 1 cntender was black.

That is a big black mark on his legacy. Why can you not even acknowledge this fact? Instead you excuse it and accuse people who state this face reverse-racists

13. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Pachilles you talk about Wills as though just because Wills was black it automatically means that he was some higher force - some super human being who it would've been impossible for some puney white guy to beat at all?? He really wasn't that great a fighter at all - Firpo took him 12 rounds - Bartley Madden took him 15 - Dempsey spar mate Bill Tate held him to a draw - John Lester Johnson took him 10 - the blind and shot to peices Langford twice blasted him out - Sharkey would quite easily trounce him and Uzcudun made mincemeat of him too - Wills had no chin in my opinion and was far to static and straight up to have been able to cope with the bouncing crouching bobing moving constant on the move and on the attack Dempsey

14. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    P, how many times do you want me to say that Harry Wills DESERVED the FIRST SHOT AT DEMPSEY ? I have posted this time and again that Wills deserved a shot at Dempsey ,though they did sign once for a bout. Do U want me to legalize my statement in the papers ? Of course Wills deserved his shot. Would he have won ? No,he most likely wouldn't have, as Dempsey thrived on big stand-up fighters...
    P.S. And Robinson avoided some black fighters also...Boxing is a BUSINESS P, nothing more, nothing else....

15. Swarmer

Swarmer Patrick Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    pachilles you should be ashamed for berating an old man. you're worse than grandpa killing stinkmeaner.