Jack Johnson and the black heavyweights a chronology

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Nov 12, 2018.

1. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I honestly think it's just because it'd be too controversial.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I report facts from the news papers you zealot. You don't read old clippings or watch video often, that much is proven.

I laugh at your reactions, always questioning the source, but ill equipped to do anything but conjuring up the passages from old books you like, while ignoring the rest! Are you going to tell us what Johnson made vs Battling Jim or not? You said you know, so why not share it?

As a footnote, I do like Langford, and Jeannette. Your lying again if you think I am going after Johnson opponents. The truth is I am showing the opposite, that they were green / young or very inexperienced at heavyweight when Johnson fought them! DUH.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You stated not so long ago that McVey did not have the appetite for the fight when things got tough.Of all the fighters of the 20th century none proved that to be more false than McVey!
    Old Books? You've just made a post denigrating Johnson using an article that was written 5 years after the fight! Whereas I have ringside reports of the fight from the men that were actually present! rRead the Boston Globes next day account of the Johnson Langford fight , a fight that was held in Boston!
    Here are three extracts from their report.
    "Sam Langford was beaten badly by Jack Johnson at Chelsea last night, but earned the cheers of his admirers and many more besides by a superb exhibition of grit and courage that makes other local exhibitions of gameness in the ring fade almost into insignificance."

"Sam went down three times. On the first occasion it looked as if he slipped or stumbled to his knees, as the accompanying punch was not heavy. He was knocked down with a powerful left hook in the middle of the sixth round and lay on his face. He was down just nine seconds, according to Timekeeper Murphy, a thoroughly honest man, and the referee, Maffit Flaherty, who says he was on his feet at the call of nine, and according to several watches in the hands of men around the ring.

Down Again.

Later on in the same round he was down again for nine seconds. On the first knockdown it looked as if he couldn't continue. But he arose within the specified ten seconds. The second time he went to the floor from a right hand smash on the jaw."

"It was a one-sided fight. It was all Johnson all the way. Sam did well on his left stabs and showed at times an inclination to shoot the right over for Jack's jaw. But he was outclassed too much naturally to make it any kind of an even fight."

Do you actually know how absurd this makes you look!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  4. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Good info Matt where have you been ?Come back ,we are approaching ,"Our Darkest hour"!

mattdonnellon likes this.
  6. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    mcvey likes this.
  7. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Peter Maher was commendable for fighting black opponents, Godfrey, Craig, Butler, Smith, Klondike, Stevenson, Harris, Clarke.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  8. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
  9. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    mattdonnellon and mcvey like this.
  10. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    mcvey likes this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
  12. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
  13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    That's an impressive line up!

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It states Johnson"pounded Jeannette to pieces ",which is interesting because it was over 15 rds and Jeannette was considered excellent over longer distances.Pollack says one of their fights was close but that Johnson had the edge.

15. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    The 1906 ND one? That'll be an interesting one if I can find the report.

mcvey likes this.