Jack Johnson v James J Corbett?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Set at 25 rounds and Johnson s Era s ruleset, who's the winner.
    Corbett, who beat old Sullivan -
    Johnson who beat old Jeffries.
    ???

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Johnson easily, anything Corbett could do, Jack could do better.
    Look at their resumes !WTF did Corbett beat?

KuRuPT, louis54 and Fergy like this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I think that there is enough difference between their styles to make it interesting, but Johnson should certainly be the favorite, based upon their resumes.

4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Oh really? Did Johnson have faster feet? Did he throw as many punches? Was he Ko'd by super middleweights? Mcvey = 0-3 Just admit your mistakes up front, you'll save yourself time. Johnson did not do everything better.

Corbett beat several hall of fame people. McCoy, Sullivan, Choynski, and Kilrain. Ignorance on your part. He also drew with Jackson, who according to Geroge Siler a famous official / referee of the times was better than Jack Johnson. I read an excellent round by round on Corbett vs Jackson, Corbett won more of the rounds until things slowed down. If Corbett and Ftiz had a re-match, I'd pick Corbett via decsion.

Based on Jack O'Brien a much smaller and lighter version of Corbett according to primary sources out boxing Jack Johnson, Corbett would likely do the same. There's the key point, which you will ignore.

Since Johnson was no puncher, he's not likely stopping Corbett who took hard shots from Choynski and McCoy, two pound for pound type of punchers. Jackson could also hit and landed plenty.

Now I'm 99% sure you will pick apart Corbett's resume. Johnson's loses and draws were vs. lesser men...and we know it . Save yourself some time.

Based on styles and activity, I'd go with Corbett via UD. He's not some 5'9" hack who is stationary with no defense that falls into a clinch to be mugged and hit.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    In your onion, what was Johnson's best win, For me its Tommy Burns, all 5'7", 168 pound of him. Losses to Choysnki, Hart, Klondike, are men Corbett would beat, wouldn't you say? Johnson never fought as man as good as prime Peter Jackson, and passed on matches vs Langford, Mcvey and Jeannette. He was shown up by O'Brien, who was near his end at that point, floored and hurt by Ketchel, and according to those at ringside, tired vs Flynn in a scheduled 40 round match that ended early via DQ. Willard was probably the best he fought when you factor in he was in his prime, and he lost that one.

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    The issue is this.

Corbett really only has a couple of really good wins, when you get into the details of it.

Johnson might not have a great win, but he has an embarrassment of wins against contenders.

There is nothing to argue, regarding who has the better resume.

mcvey and KuRuPT like this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Johnson destroys him.

Corbett might be the most overrated heavy on a functional level. All hat, no cattle.

mcvey likes this.
  8. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Johnson bro, cmon

mcvey likes this.
  9. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Yep I'm going with this. Jack would shred Corbett, he'd rake him with the upper cuts and have him beaten and bruised. I'll say Corbett manage s to get to the 11 th before he's had enough.

mcvey likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Johnson was more durable ,he hit harder ,had more all round ability, has a better resume,a much longer career
    And he wasn't one punch ko'd by a man weighing 157lbs ! I don't need to pick apart Corbett's resume .All I need do is ask ;

Q . What are his three best wins?
    Here is another question for you to duck.
    Q . Which prime heavyweight did he beat?

ps A young Johnson embarrassed the then top contender Tom Sharkey in sparring sessions.Corbett could never handle Sharkey.
    Waiting for your answers on this stormy Sunday morning here in the UK.
    NB You keep using a quote from Silers book in which he compares Jackson to Johnson ,what you don't know, because you are a thick ****, is that Siler died on May the 13th1908
    SEVEN MONTHS BEFORE JOHNSON WON THE TITLE!
    HE NEVER SAW JOHNSON AS CHAMPION!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Fergy likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    IN YOUR ONION????
    ps Johnson fought Langford broke his nose and floored him for two long 9 counts
    Johnson fought and beat McVey 3 times stopping him in their last bout.
    Johnson fought Jeannette several times and floored him multiple times in those bouts. Jeanette won just one of their encounters ,on a highly debateable foul.
    Johnson signed to defend against Langford and McVey in Australia but the promoter once Johnson jumped bail in the US, bowed to public opinion and pulled the plug on the fights
    Johnson signed to defend against Jeannette twice in NY but the NYAC banned the fights.
    I've posted this several times and included the purses and the promoters the arenas and the dates.
    I also posted the subsequent statements from the boxing commissions and the respective promoters as to why they pulled the plug on these title defences.
    All the information I supplied can be verified in Pollack's two volume biography of Johnson which anyone with an interest in the man should read.
    You haven't done so and won't because you are not really interested in the facts, all you want to do is to continue propagating your phobic and irrational hatred of Johnson.
    Now we can all stand back and await a lot of bluster and bull**** from you, but no refuting of what are stone cold facts.
    In short you are as usual ,pontificating on a subject on which you are ignorant ,very similar to your tag partner Rasta Gooly who, if brains were dynamite would not have enough to blow his hat off with!

Fergy likes this.
  12. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Johnson himself said Corbett had quicker feet.

13. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Johnson's greatest fights and wins were pre title when he fought and defeated everyone .. no color line , he fought and defeated the best fighters in the world , large and small that would fight him .. Corbett's big fight was Jackson and all on Corbett's terms .. Jackson fought injured and it was a distance fight ..

janitor likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I concede that. Johnson didn't need to run all around the ring,his defence was better,nobody knocked him out when he was prime they

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007

Siler was the premier referee of the times, who saw them all, often as the third man in the ring. But you're right, he saw far better than little Tommy Burns, the man Johnson win the title from and would have thrown up watching some of Johnson's poor title opponents, some of which exposed him in victory, others like Gunboat Smith who floored TKO'd Johnson an exhibition match. Suddenly your Sharkey comment, which I'll address later means jack.

Problem #1. I see you avoid key points such as O'Brien outboxed Johnson! Gasp! Well, Corbett was bigger, stronger, far more durable, and just as hard to catch. It's a key point you won't touch. I see you're already in CAPS, meaning you're upset already. :)

Johnson was in fact KTFO by a super middle weight Corbett beat. Might that be problem #2 for you? :)

Problem #3 is Johnson wasn't active enough in terms of punches, and Corbett would let him clinch. Nor was he more durable. Corbett fought the best of his times when they were dangerous; Johnson did not. Tom Sharkey wasn't the same after Jeffries II ( 1899 ) , Johnson sparred with him after that date. Besides, Sharkey was hardly good at sparring. He was far better in a real fight. Odd you put so much stock in sparring with a washed-up Sharkey, but won't touch Johnson's durability when Smith, who really wasn't a big puncher, and was a novice knocked Johnson silly.

You're double standards are acting up again....:)