Jack Sharkey vs Johnny_B

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 70sFan865, Jul 20, 2020.

Who wins?

1. Jack Sharkey

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Johnny_B

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    So you're a heavyweight, right? And think yourself near the upper echelon amateur level?

Well, my pick to win the Olympics was Bakhodir Jalolov. A gangly, 6'7 southpaw with good reflexes, long arms and lots of experience. He also has an explosive, quick-fisted offence, set up by a cagey lead. Tech a look:

This content is protected

You really think you're the same level as this? And please note, this is just the guy I picked to win the Olympics, there's a flock of 10-20 amateur heavyweights who just turned pro who are exceptional. There's more who are still am, which I'm looking forward to as well.

Point being, the highest level amateurs are very, very, very good. I highly doubt you genuinely believe that you're that level. If you do, and aren't willing to provide some form of credentials (tourneys vs other 16 Y/Os don't count BTW), it says more about your ego than your boxing ability.

cross_trainer and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This thread is ****ing hilarious. :lol:

cross_trainer and 70sFan865 like this.
  3. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Why is this a troll attempt? How many 220-pounders did Shakrey fight and beat? May I remember that an absolute amateur physique took him 21 rounds in a 1-1 outcome just by weight advantage?

Btw, put Canelo at unlimited 18X pounds into the "Heavyweight Devision" of Firemen, Cabdrivers and Miners and you´d see a run.

4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    George Godfrey
    Harry Wills
    Primo Carnera

cross_trainer and 70sFan865 like this.
  5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    How many 220 pounders did he spar and get the better of in the gym you mean?

Because that's what we're dealing with here. A guy who hasn't fought in an amateur comp since he was 16. A guy who never turned pro. A guy with 0 wins.

We're talking an absolute amateur as you say. Sharkey probably sparred and got the better of hundreds. He certainly beat Carnera once which is, on its own, enough to say a big amateur can't beat him with size alone.

6. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Yep, thats what I remember too. One, two (the ancient one) and the SHW cheetah (who beat him too).
    Last time I checked, a HW resume like this was enough to put a 185lb 5'10" against George Foreman, Lennox Lewis and Wilder. While Jhonny gets the lol-brand, nothing ridiculous here of course :eusa_liar::eusa_whistle:

7. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    A fellow who looks worse than solid amateurs took him 1-1 just by weight adv. A fellow with a shakey chin too, who he didn´t manage to put down, We don´t know how many solid 220-pounders he sparred, like Vesti wrote, he doesn´ t have an resume at 220-weight.

8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    We aren't even talking about a solid amateur here.

We're talking a guy who last competed as an amateur at the age of 16

cross_trainer likes this.
  9. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    He wrote he fought amateur comp. until then.

Carnera took Sharkey 21 rounds. When Rocky can fight Foremans, a solid 220lb amateur with a training camp can carry the featherfist the distance. And you know what? The boxing might very well look better than "Primo "The Cheetah" Carnera vs Hollywood Max Baer".

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Yeah until the age of 16. He never won the tournaments, never competed at a high level.

A victory over Carnera is more than enough to make his claims laughable.

11. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Of course his claims are more than brave. But

1) Carnera had nothing
    2) Sharkey is miles away from something like a resume at 220lb+
    3) Sharkey is a good match due to his nonexistent power

His claims are as laughable as Rocky vs Lennox Lewis or Langford vs Tua. Threads that go 50+ pages.

12. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I don't know weights of all Sharkey opponents, but he beat a lot more big guys than that. All of them were definitely better than some guy that stopped amateur career at 16.

13. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Do you know all weights of all Sharkey's opponents?

cross_trainer likes this.
  14. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Reflecting his career at modern 220lb is not possible, because its not existent. Its a guess how he would do here. A total oaf took him 21 and beat him once.

Pat M likes this.
  15. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    We know these that were taken and know that even in the 40s and 50s lean good 220-pounders did rarely exist. I wrote tons of text to dumblab, including statistics and numbers telling to show that smaller avr. humans result in way less bigger athletes.