Jerry Quarry vs. Oscar Bonavena

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hookie, Aug 16, 2013.

1. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I like Jerry Quarry an awful lot,...especially how took Mathis and Spencer apart and gave Lyle such beautiful boxing lesson,...but, f he found Chuvalo a tough nut, remember that Bonavena was just as strong as George, was cleverer & way more unpredictable and could hit harder.

2. Kid Bacon

Kid Bacon All-Time-Fat Full Member

Nov 8, 2011

Gotta agree .... I can envision Quarry winning by points, but a stoppage seems like a pretty wild bet :huh

3. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Quarry by decision. It would be very similar to Bonavena vs. Ellis.

4. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I wouldn't be too sure about a Quarry decision win...this would a very difficult, awkward fight for Jerry....and he didn;t exactly have the same skill set as Jimmy Ellis. Whoever Bonavena fought, he gave trouble to or he actually won...he was and still is a very, very underrated heavyweight. Easy to criticize, all kinds of faults to make a big deal over, but outside of Jimmy Ellis, ..and he gave Jimmy a bit of a fight too, he troubled everybody he fought...including Ali,..and he sure as hell would have done the same to jerry Quarry. Like I've mentioned before, Oscar was what he was, but he was more sophisticated than the unimaginative, straight ahead George Chuvalo, and you know that George even got lucky and nailed Quarry...and Oscar had more dimension, sophistication (believe it or not) than George, and he was unpredictable as hell and of coursr, could hit much harder. His punches came from unexpected, unorthodox angles, and as he showed against Frazier both times, he knew how to protect himself against anyone who wasn't a sharp-shooter like Ellis. He effectively used distance and range against Frazier...going 25 rounds against Smokin Joe when everybody else, including Quarry and Chuvalo were getting eaten alive by Frazier. If Jerry would have won, it would have been by the narrowest of point margins, and I'm not convinced Jerry would have had it go his way at all.

5. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Jerry wasn't Jimmy Ellis..don't count on that.

6. Hookandjab

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not counting on anything, just giving my opinion. Quarry wasn't Ellis. He had a better punch than Ellis and a better chin.

7. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    But he wasn't the boxer/mover/sharp-shooter that Ellis was.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jerry by clear decision.

9. Hookandjab

Feb 19, 2014
    Jerry was the sharp shooter Ellis was. Jerry fought a dumb fight against Ellis, and even then it was very close. Also, Jerry fought that fight with an injured back. And though the decisions regarding the Quarry/Patterson fights were controversial, the Ellis win over Floyd was pure robbery. The Quarry who beat Spencer was very sharp and skilled, quite a contrast to the crude Oscar who was decked by Ellis twice and lost to Lyle and an ancient Patterson. But, my friend, who knows who would win? We don't, even if we think we do. Have a great day.

10. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Greetings Woller.
    Yes, a Floyd left hook put Quarry down at the end of round 5? or 6? in the first scrap.
    I've not seen the entire Floyd-Oscar fight but wasn't Ringo's KD a 'questionable' one against Floyd? Maybe a push or a slip. Either way, Floyd was up in a heartbeat.

11. Hookandjab

Feb 19, 2014
    And Patterson was legitimately knocked down four times by Quarry in two fights.

12. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Greetings Hookandjab. With all due respect, I don't understand your logic. Jerry and Jimmy were miles apart in styles. Just look at their WBA championship snoozefest. Jerry lying on the ropes wanting Jimmy to come into his territory for his counterpunching, Jimmy standing in the middle of the ring waiting to box his ears off.
    I always viewed the Quarry-Chuvalo fight as an anamoly; Jerry had George cut and swollen badly and got caught with a left hook which didn't seem enough to keep him down. Plus Chuvalo was actually jabbing Jerry! IMO Jerry would try to size up Ringo early but, before long, he would wade in and start trading. I don't think either fighter could KO the other; Jerry simply didn't hit hard enough and his chin could take Oscar's occasional bombs. There is a chance that Ringo could cut Jerry, don't see Jerry cutting him. If Jerry avoids cuts, I think he would simply outwork Ringo en route to a hard-fought UD. Much faster than Ringo and Ringo had that 'caveman' mentality whereas Jerry only had half a 'caveman' mentality.
    My somewhat limited $0.02

13. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    It would be interesting if Quarry and Chuvalo were rematched. I think Jerry would have learned his lesson and would have focused more on just outboxing George...inflicting damage with his short, quick counters and would have possibly have turned in a performance like in the future Ron Lyle fight. It's incredible that Jerry could look so masterful in dismantling big, skilled Buster Mathis and he wouldn't be able to outtrick the limited George Chuvalo....anyway, whatever the case, I think Quarry would have avenged this defeat if they fought again.

14. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Excellent post, damn voted before I read it.

15. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Quarry was erratic, but you said at their very best. At his very best Quarry was better than Bonavena in terms of speed and skills. Quarry was actually good on the counter.

Both guys had good chins.

The real question is will Quarry box or slug?

I see Quarry winning on points 8-4 in a 12 round match or 9-6 in a 15 round match. It would have been a good one.