"Joe Calzaghe would beat prime Michael Spinks"- Max Kellerman

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thread Stealer, May 23, 2009.

1. Pride In Battle

Pride In Battle Member Full Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Calzaghe wins that all day.

2. Henke67

Henke67 One of the 45% Full Member

Feb 10, 2009
    It's pretty hard to justify picking Calzaghe over Spinks.
    Don't think it would ever happen - I can see Joe getting caught with that right hand all night.
    In the same article, a trainer who's name escapes me was asked to predict Wilfredo Gomez - Israel Vasquez.
    He picks "a draw or either fighter by split-decision"!!

3. slicksouthpaw16

slicksouthpaw16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2008
    If Kellerman meant Cory Spinks, then he'd have a point. Michael was too big of a light heavyweight and too good of a boxer, and his strength showed because he was able to fight effectively at heavyweight, beating Holmes twice( even though i had him losing the first fight) and Cooney( who he blew out). His right hand was certainly better than then the two right's that floored him against Hopkins and Jones and unlike them, he was much stronger and a better finisher. In last months ring magazine, i think i remember Kellerman choosing Pacquaio to beat Armstrong as well. It was laughable.

[yt]Wg3d8NjDSYQ[/yt]

4. TonyT

TonyT Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Lbflb Jones was better than spinks. The 168lb jones VS Spinks at a catchweight of 171 I'm picking jones. Now back to calzaghe, who is a great fighter I don't know on spinks whipping hopkins I thought Qawi did very well vs spinks. It is a very interesting fight.

5. bladerunner

bladerunner El Intocable Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    more proof that Kellerman is an idiot.

6. thomaschetwood

thomaschetwood Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Good point, well made. Just another thread to diss a 46-0 fighter who beat two american legends in their own back yard. Don't worry Joe, all the non-american fans (which these days carry more weight than the blinkered, delusional yanks) know how good you were. Anybody who thinks Joe Calzaghe would get demolished by any fighter is way off the mark. Dont you guys get it? Joe will have beaten almost any fighter you can name on points. Too quick, too fit, too ring smart. He'd have made Spinks looklike a fool.

7. slicksouthpaw16

Jan 26, 2008
    Qawi would have beaten Calzaghe as well, and also from what i remember, the Spinks/Qawi fight was not close. It was a better fight then the scores indicated, but Spinks was mainly in control. He did well at boxing, and Qawi had his moments when he close the gap.

8. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Joe Calzaghe was a fantastic fighter despite the nonsense spouted on here regularly but to put it mildly... the majority would favour Spinks.

9. slicksouthpaw16

Jan 26, 2008
    He would have eventually lost to Dawson had he kept fighting( which isn't anything to be ashamed of). Don't get me wrong, Calzaghe is a great fighter who is the best super middleweight of all time, but his resume at light heavyweight cannot hold a candle to the resume of Spinks or even Dawson. The only top fighter he beat was Hopkins, who while still crafty and dangerous, was clearly past his prime and it showed during the second half of the fight.

10. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Yes, JC beating Spinks has the same chance as Pac beating Armstrong but the difference is, you put a poll for both fights on the general forum & Joe would lose by a landslide... Pac would probably win.

:-(

11. slicksouthpaw16

Jan 26, 2008
    I understand but honestly, i think its because Pacquaio is consistently fighting the high profile fights the way he always has while Calzaghe didn't come over to the U.S and get the big fights until he was at the end of his career, and apparently so was Hopkins and Jones. Pacquaio is more proven and an all time great himself, while Calzaghe took the safe route. That's what the fans realize. Pacquaio cares more about legacy, Joe cared more about keeping his unbeaten record and not fighting anyone like Dawson or Hopkins in a rematch.

12. Hatesrats

Hatesrats "I'm NOT Suprised..." Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I'm going to have to disagree on that... M'kay!

13. thomaschetwood

thomaschetwood Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2008

I agree that his resume at LW doesnt prove that he could hang with with the best LWs of all time but I think his pure ability and record at SM shows that he could. Joe was a serious fighter. Fighters like Joe simply dont get battered. HE may well have lost to Spinks but it's certainly not a given. And I dont think he would have lost to Dawson. I still dont. If Dawson keeps progressing and becomes big time and can see him tempting JC out of retirement. An I'll tell you what will happen now. Dawson wobbles Calzaghe in rounds 1 and 2. Calzaghe wins the next 10 rounds on points and Dawson quickly becomes an overhyped fighter and Joe once again gets little credit. A sad but predictable story.

14. slicksouthpaw16

Jan 26, 2008
    I know what you mean, but honestly( IMO) Dawson is miles above Lacy and Kessler, the two youngest fighters that Joe has one his resume and Chad's resume shows it. Who has Kessler beat that was as good as Adamek or Tarver? If Joe was to somehow beat Dawson, then i guarantee you he would get a lot of credit for it, because Dawson is finally starting to get the recognition that he deserves and the fans is realizing how good he really is.

As for the style match up, i see Dawson boxing circles around Joe. Hes faster( IMO) stronger, longer, punches harder, straighter puncher, more experience against southpaw's and more experience against the natural light heavyweights. Dawson is simply too big to out muscle if you're Calzaghe and too good of a boxer. I think he has the ability to exploit Joe's bad balanced and negating his aggression with feints and straight crisp counter punches while giving lateral movement. In this fight, Joe is in a very difficult position because everyone knows he doesn't have the power to stop Dawson, so his only hope would be to get on the inside of Dawson which would put him in harms way against a naturally bigger light heavyweight. Hes not fighting Jones or Hopkins( who has noticeable stamina trouble at this stage of their career's) hes fighting someone way younger and stronger. If Dawson was to get Joe hurt early, rest to sure he would go after him.

15. DINAMITA

DINAMITA Guest

You don't even know who Spinks is.