Joe Frazier vs. Nicolai Valuev

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vince Voltage, May 4, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No but he was a bit taller than Joe..

2. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Real question is how the big man reaches Frazier not Visa versa. In his low crouch Joe would be knee level. Valuev would need to bend low to land and in process be wide open for the blistering FRazier hook. PRime FRAZier was a hard target to hit with Slow punches. FRAZIER by stoppage in 10. BLooodbath.

SluggerBrawler and Big Ukrainian like this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I pick Frazier, but Mathis went into the 11th I think Valuev was more durable than him,I see a decision here.

4. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Mathis was more elusive however. Prime Frazier was very quick with his left and would not miss his hook. It was a wicked slashing blow. If the big man catches that punch full bore as Ali did especially in round 11 of the FOTC the result may be interesting.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I doubt Frazier would find his chin more than a half dozen times and Joe was a grinder, he wore men down, he ain't wearing down this hulk,if he concentrates on the body, he wins a decison.

6. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Going from what I have learned from other threads here in the classic section from people who claim to be knowledgeable I pick Valuev by KO early. Frazier would be giving up 115 lbs here, over a foot in height and a foot in reach. Frazier was a better fighter by far but don't these things matter? He got knocked down and out by guys who weighed 100 lbs less than Valuev. Don't guys who weigh 100 lbs more hit harder?

reznick likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Frazier would grind him down in an ungainly fight.

8. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    I disagree. Prime Frazier would easily find that big targets chin....all night. Joe was hitting Ali, a far more elusive target, on the chin all night in 1971. Kia although not a bone crunching puncher had tremendous speed, snap and power in his hook. Enough to put this human punching bag away IMO. With Joes hand speed he can't miss.

9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

Valuev is surely going to use that big frame to tie him up and make things awkward and then he has that reach. Ali tho far more elusive is 4 foot shorter with 2 feet less reach. You don't think this comes into play at all? It's going to be an ugly fight, Valuev is not exactly prone to getting stopped early?

10. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Way too much emphasis on size ignoring Fraziers hand speed. Every solid hook by Frazier rattles the giant from head to toe.

The big guy won't be able to handle Joes speed and when he connects which will be often....well...look at round 11 vs the greatest hwt ever to live in 71.

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know. I think it is a very stop start affair for Joe (due to size) and that you are placing too little emphasis on size. We are arguing the same thing, i said Frazier would grind him down and you said Frazier stoppage in 10. How are we different?

12. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    It would be like watching an man working on felling a huge tree with an axe.
    Hopefully the tree's corner throw the towel in before he gets carved up too badly.

13. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Frazier is giving up 100lb.

Unless all these newbie fans think their hero of old can overcome ONE HUNDRED pounds lol. And a foot in height and reach?

Where do they find these people? I guess the fable of mythical classic boxing heroes persists.

Valuev KOs him in 1 after sitting on Joe.

/s

14. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    If you think Frazier can win this, you MUST think that Mayweather could beat Wladmir Klitschko.

Pfft, pathetic casuals...

Mr.DagoWop likes this.
  15. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Also, Valuev is from a new era.

What will Joe do when he sees that Valuev can pump out two jabs while holding his right glove to his chin? Frazier would be flummoxed. He has never seen technique and fiber optic twitch muscle strength like that before.

Mr.DagoWop likes this.