John Conteh v Joe Calzaghe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Clinton, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    A well past prime Eubank and a shot to pieces Jones.

2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Still, it shouldn't be possible. They were training hard as **** and of a special stature.

3. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Can someone talk me through who Conteh beat to be so revered? Not saying he wasn’t a good fighter and the 70s isn’t my era admittedly but I struggle to see an ATG resume...

4. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    'ATG' - what's the official definition for that?

5. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    With 24 hours at 12 stone 7 ?

6. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Chris Finnegan twice. Lenny Hutchings. Have a look at Conteh on You Tube. In the 70's, John was a revelation. He was nasty and tough as well as a superb Boxer. We used to say he fights like an American.

lencoreastside likes this.
  7. ryanm8655

Oct 23, 2008
    I hate to do the boxrec thing but Chris Finnegan only ever won a british and commonwealth title (I appreciate they meant more then) and Hutchings was never a world champion. I’m not trying to be a hater, just out a bit of perspective in place and am more than happy to be corrected. Have watched Conteh in the past but will have another look. But if you watched Saunders against Lemieux you’d think he was the greatest of all time...

8. Cecil

Mar 22, 2015
    Finnegan was also an ex Olympic champion.He gave an ATG champion like Bob Foster all the trouble he could handle before being stopped in the 14th round. He was an extremely tough fighter.
    Conteh beat Jacqui Lopez one of the top contenders of the era one handed in Copenhagen, as he had huge problems with his right hand the 2nd half of his career.
    The first fight against Matthew Saad Muhammad he was basically robbed. Muhammad was cut to pieces and they used an illegal substance to stem the flow, they basically cemented the cuts. That really was his last stand, well past prime he fought a great fight against a formidable champion, got decked twice late on and lost the decision, I thought he won.
    We always assume in these imaginary match ups that fighters are prime for prime, but sorry as much as I liked Joe he's not beating a prime Conteh.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. ryanm8655

Oct 23, 2008
    Noticed the Conteh fights aren’t shown on Saad Muhammad’s record, anyone know why?

How about the Parlov fight? And Jesse Burnett?

He seemed to peak very young.

10. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Finnegan, Hitchings and indeed, Yaqui Lopez were genuine contenders at the time. If you have 40 minutes have a look at Finnegan's challenge to Bob Foster, Ring Fight of the Year 1972.
    Take your point about Saunders and relative performances Ryan. I'm not trying to make a nailed down case for Conteh against Calzaghe, for whom, as I say, I have the utmost respect. Just trying to give some perspective.

11. Cecil

Mar 22, 2015
    Never noticed that.
    I don't know about peaking young or simply that his partying lifestyle and bad choices took over.

ryanm8655 and LoadedGlove like this.
  12. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    See Cecil's previous post. Conteh broke his right hand twice in one year and was very reticent to use it freely after that.
    The Parlov fight was a scandalous robbery.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  13. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    He did like a night out !

14. Cecil

Mar 22, 2015
    And smashing up Rolls Royce's!

15. LoadedGlove

Dec 6, 2019
    Ha ha ! Was that when he decided to drive home from Tramp ? John's been dry now for about 20 years and does a superb after dinner routine.