Jorge masvidal vs cowboy cerrone

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by elmaldito, Dec 19, 2016.

1. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I discussed this matchup with Jorge after the chiesa fight. Told him it's the perfect match style-wise for him to look good against a well known top guy.
    Jorge has been screaming for it ever since. I thank god that Dana is pissed at cowboy for getting into a streetfight and having to hire a lawyer and bail his ass out and now this fighters union ****. Cowboy is officially out of protective custody and now being fed to the wolves. Dana has hired the right guy in masvidal to punish cowboy.

This fight will be all stand up. I look for masvidal to counterstrike early but when he decides to step on the gas he will get him out of there.
    Cowboy stands in a Muy Thai stance where as masvidal a boxing stance. Cowboy isn't a great defensive fighter to begin with and that square stance will get him eaten alive. You got your classic straight forward face first fighter vs your classic tech slick counterstriker.
    Masvidal is gonna touch his body every chance he gets cuz we feel that's a weak area for cowboy.
    The bottom line is that it's a fight and anything can happen. Cowboy could land a head kick that could change everything.....though not likely. Tko masvidal in 1

Kevin Willis and pablinov like this.
  2. Francis75

Francis75 FAB 4 Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if Masvidal beats Cerrone myself. Both guys are very well rounded.

drenlou, UnleashtheFURY and elmaldito like this.
  3. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I love both guys, but the fact is is that they are both as inconsistent as it gets.

Cerrone has looked the goods at 170, where as Masvidal has never lived up to his potential.

I expect a barn-burner either way.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  4. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    Styles make fights and masvidal in a boxing stance is gonna take advantage of cowboys wide Muy Thai stance.

5. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    1 week before the fight. Masvidal has been in Colorado using the Cuban altitude methods and cowboys is talking a mess of garbage all over the radio that he is better then masvidal everywhere. Cowboy reminds me of a liberal talking about how great a president obama was. Not living In the real world. Talking bout title shots.....styles make fights and I honestly think masvidal runs him over in 1 round. Tko.

6. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah I'll never count out Masvidal in any fight. He has an advantage in boxing here, probably a better chin. That's about it. I think if Cerrone can keep it at kickboxing range and avoid and stupid exchanges then he should take a decision or pick up a late finish. Full credit if you're right here, but I doubt it man!

7. Francis75

Oct 1, 2007
    I'm a fan of Cerrone's fights/fighting style etc etc but as a person I think he's a bit of a d*ck. In interviews he comes across as a dumbo really. An example of this when he fronted up for that mma fighters association thing with Tim Kennedy/Cain/Dillashaw etc etc. He had basically zero idea about what was going on, no idea Bjorn Rebney was involved and then backtracked a week later when Uncle Dana said to him "WTF Cowboy".

I really hope Masvidal beats him but you would have to have Cerrone as the favourite. No one beats Masvidal easily though.

8. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    Major wrestling advantage. Don't forget that.

9. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Good prediction man. I thought it was stopped a bit early, but the writing was probably on the wall anyways.

Kevin Willis likes this.
  10. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Elmaldito nailed it! Not a fan of Cerrone, I find him obnoxious and quite frankly a bit dense not that Masvidal is any better. He made bigoted, broad brushed comments about Russians before his fight and eventual loss to Khabilov. This is a tough sport and these contrasting styles can cause sudden finishes, upsets and slam the momentum of the most impressive win streaks.

Again not a fan of either guy hopefully they got some good money for this fight but tend to doubt it. Dana white has been underpaying guys like these for years and getting his pound of flesh off them over and over.

Cousin Andy and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  11. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Love Cerrone as a fighter, don't care for him as a person really either. Even though I picked Cerrone I knew Masvidal was a nightmare matchup for him, everything that could have went wrong went wrong. Was banking on Cerrone keeping it in kicking range and maybe mixing in the odd takedown. Started off well but slowly but surely he was lulled into Masvidals game. That dullness you mention is likely the reason why Cerrone has issues with being a gameplan oriented fighter.

Kevin Willis likes this.
  12. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Perhaps cowboy was drunk?

'Look at me, I cowboy, always drunk"

_Khabib Nurmagomedov

In all seriousness you are correct about Cerrone's lack of implementing a game plan but in reality who knows. This is such a tough sport and these guys cannabalize one another. masvidal will probably get done the same way he did Cerone tonight in his next fight.

How many more times are they going to send Arlovski out there to get KO'd?

13. Francis75

Oct 1, 2007
    Herb Dean stuffed up AGAIN. He stopped the fight in the first rd just before the bell ended the round. He constantly imo stuffs up in fights. I have no idea why many people call him "the best in the business". I remember many horrible mistake Herb Dean has made in fights notably a disgusting LATE stoppage when Mike Pyle defeated Waldburger several years ago.

14. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    Masvidal beat cerrone twice in one night.

The Akbar One likes this.
  15. elmaldito

Jun 11, 2009
    No way
    I hope they sign him with nick or Nate Diaz. That's who I told him to call out.
    Both great match ups for masvidal similar to cerrone.