Josh Kelly vs. Conor Benn

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, May 26, 2021.

1. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    He does have good reflexes, for 3 rounds. The twitchy style coupled with the weight saps his gas tank rapidly. I agree sticking and moving seems the sensible approach, but that would mean being less flamboyant which you can see he works hard at, as it is self made and not his actually style.

2. Rob Maclean

Rob Maclean New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Even though I'd be very interested in seeing it, I think Josh Kelly has to rebuild his confidence first. The fight that makes most sense for Benn is Avenysian, European belt holder and also above him in WBA rankings. As for Kelly, I'd fancy him vs McKinson, I could see him really struggling with him.

iamthegreatest likes this.
  3. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    No way does Benn face Avenesyian next. He has taken the right fights so far.

It’s too big of a jump up in class too quickly.

He needs to test himself a couple more times around that European level. I consider Avenesyian to be slightly above European into world class. It wouldn’t be a good idea for Benn.

4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Eh Day has a huge track record in making very average fighters multi millionaires and there is a long list Bellew, Chisora, Whyte .......

The best salesman in the boxing world and he certainly extracts maximum wonga from pockets.

Taylor's earnings must be on a similar trajectory to Froch before he joined Matchroom and surely only a matter of time before he gets his deserved share of loot.

5. Rob Maclean

Rob Maclean New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Admittedly, it would be a very hard fight to win for Benn (a great learning fight), Avenesyian is more than just a mere puncher, he's very skilled. I remember Kerman Lejarraga was running a train through European fighters when he met up with him and his walk forward style, Avenesyian just walked him into dead ends whilst picking him off.

Who would you put Benn in with next? I think he's made a rod for his own back with his callouts and Avenesyian would be sink or swim.

6. RT7

RT7 Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2014
    No we won't nigel we'll cheer from the rafters when he beats an opponent they haven't had to dig up