Joshua hyped and protected

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by john roberts, Apr 1, 2018.

1. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    We will have to agree to disagree
    I think Joshua brings the money and titles (could be wrong about the money) and has taken the risks so far to get the titles.
    Should it not also be about Wilders legacy? You say its a small price you think
    40 to 50% when one has won WBA IBF WBO and the other the WBC

2. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Lol it is!! Respect mate.

3. Toddtuck

Toddtuck New Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I
    If Parker get beat up in 3 or 4 rounds,you'll call him a bum

Potwash likes this.
  4. john roberts

john roberts Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Yes because like I said before you either want all the marbles or you don’t, and at the end of the day how much money do you want. so at the end of your career you are worth 600 million instead of 620 million because of wilder fight, some things are worth more than money especially when you have plenty.

5. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I don't get all the hate myself, especially from the Brits..

We have the biggest fighter on the planet at the moment, he's every where you turn, you're aunty, your nan, your kids all know who Anthony Joshua is, its great for the game, if you can't give credit for what he's doing for boxing as a whole then I don't think boxing is a sport for you..

We have a Brit as the HW flag bearer ffs, it doesn't happen a lot.. Enjoy it whilst you can..its one of those once in a lifetime or two for a Brit.. Lol

Like I said, he's not the prettiest and most polished in the ring but i think he deserves respect, boxing for such a short period and doing what he's doing...

Remember, some of these fighters have been boxing since very young lads and don't look much better.. Its amazing what he's doing in reality!

Potwash likes this.
  6. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    You seem to put more of this towards Joshua who has taken bigger fights, achieved more, taken bigger risks and has more to lose and you dont seem to give the impression that you think Wilder should be making the same concessions.
    That doesnt make sense.
    You pointed to Wilder having 40 odd fights and using that as an angle yet questioned whether Joshua has been protected in 21 fights
    You mentioned Joshua having had home advantage but Wilder has had all of his fights in the US.

Who knows what Joshua will do with his money but if he can make big money, good luck to him. Many fighters have made millions but are unfortunate not to have as much money later in their lives and I bet 20mil would go a real long way. Joshua has won, unified and defended. He is champ and with that can call some of the shots I expect

7. john roberts

Sep 5, 2017
    Personally I think wilder should take what Parker took but he won’t, I don’t think josh protected for 21 fights just a bit since becoming champion, most fighters are protected first 15 -20 if got potential, like I have said before unfortunately for wilder he doesn’t generate the money, or he could have had all those belts and josh could have been looking from the outside having to take scraps from his table but fortunately for Joshua for some reason people wanted to see him more and that gave him the chances at the belts first, for the paydays and yes he won thats good but with that now comes advantages when making the fights, but there is a bauble missing and I’m just saying if he wants he may have to give up just a little one more time to do what he keeps saying he wants to do, unify and it probably will only be 5-10 million at end of career no angles just saying.

8. bailey

Dec 11, 2009
    We can shake hands here John, and call it a day on this debate :ARMS1:

Potwash likes this.
  9. john roberts

Sep 5, 2017
    Thank god lol

Potwash likes this.
  10. Potwash

Dec 13, 2017
    Lol good thread boys!

bailey likes this.
  11. Potwash

Dec 13, 2017
    PREACH BROTHER!!!
    I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

bailey likes this.
  12. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Not from me mate. Parkers a good fighter. Its a good win for Joshua. I m not really one to criticize Joshua tbf...i did in the early days but he proved me wrong. Always thought he,d fall apart as a fight went on with all the muscle. But became a believer as he started beating half decent guys easily. I fancy him to clean up that division barring fury who,s a bit of a wildcard atm.

But the reality is...for all the talk of Joshua being a superstar etc. Hes actually only marginally better than the top guys. Who themselves aren,t all that great themselves. The guys done great to get to where he is....but Saturday cemented for me the Joshua hype pretty much is just that. Good fighter...but theres more hype to him than there is ability.

Thought he was poor on Saturday. Boxed smart. Didn't really push the fight enough. Didn't,t land much on a guy 4 inches smaller with a 7 inch reach disadvantage. You need more than that to be a genuine superstar. 9 of them rounds had a difference of about 3 punches landed. 6 of them they landed roughly the same amount of punches.

Scissors likes this.
  13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He holds the centre of that ring though mate. He’s such an imposing figure, and he has a very strong jab. In his last two fights he’s dictated the pace of the fight with that jab and that wins you the rounds.

I agree that he’s not the most skilful of fighters but I can’t see many active heavyweights around who can dictate the fight on the front foot with him. He’s getting better at cutting the ring off too.

On the protected subject, I think Anthony Joshua would fight a polar bear if it looked at him funny....he would fight anyone. However, Eddie Hearn is developing a habit of throwing his other fighters in front of AJ when they arise. We had Haye, so he threw Bellew in front of him. We had Wilder so he told him you have to fight Whyte first. We had Povetkin but yet again Whyte gets thrown in front of him too.

bbjc likes this.
  14. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    He does that mate. I agree hes getting better with his approach as his careers going on.

But Saturday night...was a lot more klitchko than he was joshua. It wasn't,t meant to be like this. He was the guy that was meant to help us forget about the guy that basically killed the heavyweight division. Klitchko was a great fighter but it got to the stage no one wanted to watch him it was so bad. Joshua doesn't clinch like klitchko but apart from that it was klitchkco esque. When the smaller opponent tries to go forward to exchange they move out of range. Then start edging up to get their big reach advantage off. Before doing the same again. Its not bad tactics but it is spoiler tactics to an extent. I m not saying the guys no good what I am saying is you,ll never be a superstar using tactics like that.

Yeah eddies doing that and tbh he doesn't really need to. There's no one outside fury to protect Joshua from. Think he knows he can get 80,000 fighting anyone for a couple more less risky fights first.

Almost wish David Haye came back looking tremendous because a prime haye would have been a dangerous fight for Joshua. He hits harder than parker....and Joshua not quite mastered the Klitschko's tactics like Klitschko had.

Twentyman likes this.