Joshua v Whyte April 13th

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t mind the Whyte Joshua fight. People seem to have no time for Whyte, he’s more than earned a title shot when you compare what he’s done to how Joshua and Fury got their latest shots. Wasn’t he in line for a Wilder shot a while back? He’ll fight anyone, I can’t believe he’s took on Chisora now, even Chisora was saying it on the gloves are off. I think he beat Parker quite easily, except for that last round, he gets under Joshua’s skin and they have history. Not to mention he’s usually in good fights. I don’t mind that fight at all.

If Joshua beats Whyte then he’s got nowhere else to go but Fury and Wilder anyway.

Momus and BigStiffIdiot like this.
  2. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Without looking at the heavyweight landscape as a whole, it isn't a good fight in my opinion. But considering what's available for that date, AJ v Whyte is a fine enough fight

3. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thus making him vastly more than the Wilder fight....

4. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    AJ has to fight Whyte in April (should Whyte beat Chisora) or get slaughtered for taking an easy touch.
    He's held to a much higher standard than the two other belt holders, they need to end their quarrel and step up before AJ can even attempt another unification.
    I expect AJ to run through both Whyte and Ortiz before Fury and Wilder are ready.

5. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think it's very interesting to see these reactions after the fight. Both of these have now had a lot of time with each other, and the weird thing is I think both seemed happy enough with what happened.

Fury has done himself a great service by performing as well as he did. Wilder has just about clung onto his belt. But are both thinking 'what if' and wondering how close they were to losing? Wilder could (should) have lost on points. Fury could very easily have seen the ref wave it off. In both cases nobody is talking about the loser and everyone is demanding the winner take on Joshua.

Are both men not that keen on the rematch because having fought the other both feel second time round they could lose? Fury less so in my opinion - I think he wins a rematch. But Wilder definitely so.

I said elsewhere, but I reckon Wilder's team sit down, work out whether Fury II or Joshua makes the most money, and go for the bigger pot.

hitandhope and 305th like this.
  6. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Couldn't care less for Whyte v AJ, its just another fleecing exercise.

Joshua should stop being a wuss and step up not step back to this level.

7. Sampneb

Sampneb Active Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Joshua/Whyte with a Usyk/Takam semi is a solid PPV IMO.

Crixus139 likes this.
  8. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I think suggesting Joshua is a wuss and suchlike is a fairly pointless exercise. He was fighting Wladimir Klitschko at a stage when Wilder was fighting blown up middleweights in eight round fights. He's not a wuss.

A thing people have missed is that if Whyte gets the fight then he's beaten Chisora, Parker and Browne since the Joshua loss. It's not an elite list but it's not that bad either and he's into a position whereby he's probably done as much as Miller or Pulev to earn a crack.

Reality is anything bar Fury or Wilder will be a little disappointing as they're the fights everyone really wants.

305th likes this.
  9. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Firstly Whyte has to beat chisora, he hasn't beaten him yet.

Secondly, fighting Whyte again is a step back for him, and if people are honest nobody really cares about it.

He was offered the Wilder fight but doesn't step up, Fury despite his lack of activity and his problems stepped up and against all the odds should have been given the decision over wilder.

I for one am bored with Joshua, he should grow a pair and act accordingly instead of pretending.

hitandhope likes this.
  10. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I think it might be Usyk. I know Usyk should have a couple fights first but the timing after Usyk v Bellew is right and if Usyk is offered the fight I think he takes it.

11. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    I like Whyte and no doubt he has improved since his last fight with Joshua but Joshua has also improved. I think Joshua knocks him out even quicker this time around. Im not interested at all in this fight.

Seriously the only 2 men i want to see him fight are Wilder or Fury. Sky sports wont be getting another penny off me until he does!

12. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm not so sure Wilder is going to want the rematch. I suspect him/his team will take the mandatory fight against Dominic B next instead. AJ-Whyte was always the plan anyways. I've no idea where that leaves Fury. Ortiz maybe?

Scissors likes this.
  13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Joshua-Whyte is a decent title defence.

The problem is, Hearn/Matchroom/SKY and Team Joshua have decided on a "2 fights per year" schedule, each fight a huge heavily-hyped stadium event, with Hearn promising record attendance or whatever.
    They are in danger of becoming victims of their own grandeur.
    If they were talking 3 or 4 fights a year they could afford to face guys like Whyte.

Joshua also holds 3 belts and has mandatories to deal with.

Barry Hearn was clearly talking about Wilder in 2020 or later, failing to fully grasp the possibility that Wilder could be defeated before then.

Tyson Fury seems to be the man to beat again now, BUT he doesn't hold the belt.
    Joshua probably needs to be fighting Wilder in April, and if he can knock Wilder out he's got all the belts and he's nicey set up for a Fury fight later next year.

305th, Momus and BigStiffIdiot like this.
  14. Secret Service US

Secret Service US New Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Joshua v Whyte 2 is a pointless rematch. Fake hype and feuds will be built up for a fight we have already seen when Joshua knocked his brains out

Joshua v Wilder or Joshua v Fury has to be made for April

Klitschko was already beaten by Fury before Joshua got the shot.

305th likes this.
  15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Fury can probably take a step down, since most people reckoned he'd be fighting at the lower levels for at least a year anyway. He doesn't hold any of the belts so he's free from worrying about the rankings.
    He'll want Wilder or Joshua.
    But in many ways they need him more than he needs them.

zfc likes this.