Joyce vs Parker - Discussion and Poll.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Sep 18, 2022.

Joyce vs Parker

Poll closed Sep 23, 2022.
  1. Joyce - KO/TKO

27.6%
  2. Joyce - Decision

38.2%
  3. Parker - KO/TKO

9.2%
  4. Parker - Decision

25.0%
  1. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    It will if Joe uses it.

2. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Joyce threw no combos whatsoever against Dubois because of his lack of speed. I expect the same against Parker. He'll just be jabbing away.

3. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Yeah, I have said this about Zhang as well, and it's true for both of them. (I have seen CST80 use the term too of course, I just hadn't seen him explain what the term meant.)

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Using it has never been the issue with Parker's jab. His jab had always been pointless and thrown with no real purpose, if anything it was a liability because he started every attack with a jab and that made him predictable.

But he did show in the Chisora rematch he had finally started showing some purpose with the jab. Instead of throwing it just out of habit, he started throwing it and leaving his arm extended to obscure Chisora's view so he could land the right hand. So he has shown some improvement with the jab.

But having said that he can't match jabs with Joyce, he will get jabbed to death as Joyce's jab a levels above Parkers. He really needs to learn to slip to get inside and then out again and what he's done in the past is simply try and beat guys to the punch and then just stands there to get countered or dives in and clinches like we saw against Joshua. A double jab alone will do little to help him against Joyce in my opinion.

5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    This is some what true. Joyce being such a big and slow unit, might be able to land shots but can't get out of the way quick enough when his opponent replies and that's why he was so conservative against Dubois. It's one thing to wade in against Hammer and Takam another to do that against a big puncher like Dubois.

I too expect a more conservative approach he'll rely on his size and jab and work rate but won't take the the kind of risks we saw against Takam where he was throwing combo's and more that willing to stand and trade.

6. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Of course it is, parker lives with him, he's his mukka, he's hardly going to say joyce now is he.

But deep down tyson knows the score, really.

7. Kiwi Casual

Kiwi Casual Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Gonna be really interesting to see your reaction when Joyce loses.

Cally likes this.
  8. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I'm not impressed with Joyce... but I'll be picking him to beat Parker. I think it will come down to mentalities. But we'll see.

9. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    No. I’ve never been impressed. Dubois was teeing off on him at times. Why would I be impressed by that besides chin?

10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    :lol: I can and I have

There are lots of fast fighters

Lots of slow ones

But slow-fast speed fighters are actually very rare

Some slow-fast speed fighters

George Foreman
    Vitali Klitschk0
    Rocky Marciano
    GGG
    Carl Froch

Notice that all those slow-fast speed fighters are, like Big Joe Joyce, titanium-jawed very big punchers

And they all went onto become legends or great and their slow-fast speed had a lot to do with that

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  11. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Excellent example

Zhang is a slow-fast speed fighter

Hrgovic, as so many do with slow-fast speed fighters, made the mistake of thinking he was worse than he is because he looks slow

But then when those 'slow' punches of his kept landing consistently Hrgovic was really taken by surprise

And slow-fast punches tend to have a lot of weight and thump behind them

They hurt and no one wants to get caught consistently by the shots of a slow-fast speed fighter

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  12. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Hrgovic is a slow-fast speed fighter himself and he's also, as is so often the case with slow-fast speed fighters, titanium-jawed and a big puncher so he really should've known to never underestimate another slow-fast speed fighter

JunlongXiFan likes this.
  13. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Slow-fast speed is not a myth :facepalm:

And I actually rate J-Park 3.0 and I think he possesses the tools to diffuse a slow-fast ATG like Big Joe Joyce

Big Joe would roll right over J-Park 1.0 and 2.0 like a truck rolling over a hedgehog

But this new and improved bulked up harder hitting J-Park stands a much better chance and he'll have plenty of success

14. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Mentality is the only reason why Parker would ever lose to someone like Joyce... Because he has all of the skills necessary to beat him. Looking like he's changed for the better since the much needed coaching switch. Kronk Parker can definitely win this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    kirk likes this.
  15. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    100% this. Getting old, too easy to hit etc. if he wins it will be a very solid scalp, but like you said the highest mountain he'll likely ever climb because he just has too much going against him.

Dementia Pugulistica likes this.