Khan v Earl - The verbals have started!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by elle, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    It was definitely a huge step back from Limond , but to be fair to Khan Lawton was the English champion and had given Thaxton a decent fight . Just because Lawton was perfectly suited to Khan and froze like a rabbit in the headlights is not Khan's fault . None the less Lawton is a capable boxer when he's not starstruck .

Combo I think Khan will despatch of Earl before he has to take a big shot flush . Khan will box Earl and wear him down on the outside . Earl's not that big a puncher either and when I saw Khan's chin is fragile I mean fragile not Herbie Hide fragile .

2. Alex_NA_Exile

Alex_NA_Exile Member Full Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm of the opinion that Khan leaves himself open a lot judging from what i've seen. I think the chin's suspect but it hardly takes a powerhouse puncher to floor a fighter who leaves his guard down as Khan often does. It's one of those things that i'll have to wait and see myself.

Btw, did that many people really buy into the talent of (Fr)Audley? Honestly, i don't know many that did. I think Khan will be a different story but i guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

3. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

I do believe in giving credit where it is due and was one of the few on here who suggested Lawton was worthy of a bit more recognition before the fight.

He did ask some questions of Thaxton but still lost that fight and was coming off the back of that loss when he fought Khan.

He had also not fought for 7 months prior to facing Khan.

His low KO record suggested he was another light hitter.

This was a clever piece of matchmaking by Warren after the Limond fight - I agree he was perfectly suited for Khan in many respects but just not for fans who would rather witness an actual contest. No fault of Khan's that Lawton failed to 'show up' on the night.

The point I was originally making is that, for me, Lawton was not a notable win for Khan when all these factors are taken into consideration.

4. combo slice

combo slice Member Full Member

May 23, 2007
    I think this post from the bbc website is spot on regarding the two likely responses from certain quarters after the fight depending on the result :D

"DaFatNinjaTurtle

I think that if Amir Khan beats Earl it will prove that Earl is a low level domestic class boxer with no chin, ring craft or punch. Oh yeah and he is also most certainly past if after losing to Katsidis.

On the other hand I think if Khan loses, it will prove that once Khan comes up against a seriously high level domestic operator, who can punch hard and equally take a good shot, and who has been in with a few class operators like Kadsidis he will have been exposed for the fraud he is."

This content is protected

5. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    He's every bit as good as Krence who I named as one of Audley's 'good wins' .

Lawton is a light hitter , he hadn't been active and quite frankly I was appauled at someone who had given such a great effort for the British title freezing against Khan seemingly because of his name(just look at his interview after the fight , he was starstruck and just happy to be there :-()

But none the less he was a top 10 British Lightweight and because of that deserves mentioning .

6. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

I agree with much of what has been said but it is the original context Lawton was mentioned that I differ from - "Khan obviously doesn't have as numerous 'decent' wins as that with Limond being his big win and Lawton, Komjathi and Medjadji being his next best wins".

I totally respect your opinion - this is just mine and I've tried to explain what it is based on. I think my reasons are fair - if I was being harsh there could be a case for saying only Limond so far is really a 'decent' win for Khan.