Larry Holmes vs Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by heizenberg, May 9, 2015.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Or like Tua ,60lbs heavier and twice as wide!

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    But they do!

Tommy Loughran gets into the rankings in every era, and occasionally wins a belt, or the lineal title!

3. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    You just stick to convincing yourself you know more about boxing than anyone who disagrees with you. I'll just let your post prove the exact opposite.:hi:

4. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    So basically you are all for using size and weight when it suits your agenda, but you like to dismiss these " advantages " when it doesn't?

I only ask this because I don't think for one minute that you actually believe any of those guys could EVER beat Holmes.

5. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Fuk me, now he's Jesus the miracle worker. 47 results out of 45 fights. Well that DOES take some beating.

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.:rofl

6. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    You beat me to it. I was going to say the script writer for Fantasy Island would have been proud of Split Nose's post.;)

And I bet you thought only Pacturds could make up sh it like that.

7. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    They possibly were to a guy that weighed under 190. That is a bit different to a guy who weighs 220, but with more variety of punches, better footwork, faster hands, and an ATG jab though.

8. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    The difference being that those skeptics didn't have the benefit of hindsight. Those of us that have seen his successors have.

9. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

If you paid attention to the post you can see I was answering a question about how the older smaller men dominated the younger BIGGER men.

As far as to what you believe that I believe. I believe that Larry Holmes picked his shots pretty good and beat guys with 10 wins 2X 14 fights 2X 13, fights, 14 fights 2X, 15 fights, 16 fights, 19 wins, never unified avoided 9 fights, unification's 6 X and tough rematches 3 times. I think Larry was a talented guy and always in good condition but he lost to Spinks as soon as he stepped up his opponent class and was beaten by Mike Spinks in MS's 1st heavyweight fight....why would I not think it would be possible for him to lose to experienced men like Walcott, Charles or Moore who were fighting and beating big Heavyweights regularly ....yea I know Larry was past it B.S. he had to step up once he lost the title and fought a young green Tyson and was KTFO...I do believe Holmes would have lost the title before the Spinks fight had he fought Coetzee, Dokes,Weaver,Thomas,Tate,Page (who he gave up a title and ran) and I am not saying that any of the bunch was soo great, its just that they were better than the guys Holmes fought

10. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Prime Holmes was not a 220 pound hwt. Most consider his bouts with Norton and ****ey as his best wins. For Norton he was 208. For ****ey he was 212. However even if Holmes was 220 pounds in prime form it should be the last thing anyone truly knowledgable about this sport should look at to size up this bout. If Holmes were to win it won't be because he weighed 208, 212 or 220 pounds.

11. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Again you prove your total lack of knowledge with your half baked theories.

The difference would be ten extra pounds of force in arguably the best ( or possibly 2nd to Liston ) jab in Heavyweight history pounding into Marciano's face.

Keep espousing your " superior knowledge " it can be quite entertaining.

12. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    I'm quite aware of what you were answering thanks very much. But the fact remains you quoted size and weight factors to suit your agenda, but dismiss those same size and weight factors when it doesn't.

As for your assertion that Moore, Walcott, and Charles were better at the time they fought Marciano than Holmes's opponents during his title reign.

Horse sh it.

13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

I am pretty consistent in my beliefs that the best big men Willard, Carnara Buddy Baer, Abe Simon, were dominated by smaller men Dempsey, Louis, etc. I do feel guys like Lewis, and the Klitschko's have been the best of the big men and give credit to amateur boxing for the development of bigger men. In the days of one champion the best fought the best, Holmes was not close in his split title era

I do think Charles, Walcott and Moore where far better equipped and experienced than the 10-12-13-14-15 fight guys Holmes was defending against and better prepared than the man that beat Holmes in his 1st heavyweight fight M.Spinks, so yes I think they would all be a big presence in the Holmes era

If you dont that's your opinion Mr. Horse sh-t

14. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Ali was far more " experienced " when he faced both Holmes, and Berbick, but he was in no fit state to pose a threat to either of them.

So your point is?

15. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    A fighter who knows how to punch at 190 will hit much harder than a 220 pound fighter who is not a puncher.

The best Holmes was a 210 pound Hwt.