Let’s create the perfect fight ... round by round

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Saintpat, May 5, 2020.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah, and I totally understand the lack of great (non-stoppage) Round 14s — it’s late in the fight so both combatants surely have less left in the tank ... and what they do have they were usually saving for the 15th to finish strong.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  2. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I’ve added Frank Fletcher-James Green to the Round 5 nominees list.

3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Round 5 is stacked!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    I'm finding this series interesting in how it reveals people's preferences over what they like in a fight and what they consider to be good action. I was actually surprised Norris-Waters took round 2 as I didn't think it was the outstanding candidate and Napoles-Backus is getting lots of love for round 3 - it's a great round but I didn't put it in my top 3. Maybe there will be some upsets in this series!

George Crowcroft and Saintpat like this.
  5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    An interesting side note about Napoles-Backus round 3. Napoles had been cut (he was cut early in both their fights - that southpaw/orthodox thing was rough in these fights) and decided he had better end things in the 3rd rather than pick his shots which he should have done. But Billy was a tough dude and simply engaged Napoles. We got a fantastic 3rd round, but being unable to stop Backus, Napoles' cut only worsened in the exchanges and was stopped in the 4th.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Berchelt vs Vargas I had a wicked 4th round.

Jel likes this.
  7. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Pat, I keep searchin' the old noggin and youtube to add to the 12th, 14th and 15th rounds - which are a bit light - and its still a bit confounding. However, I did come across a round that was outstanding, but it was a 10th round, which we already have 6 nominees. Anyways, if you wish to check it out, it is the 10th round of the first fight between Tony DeMarco and Virgil Akins. The film is decent too.

8. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Jose Napoles-Billy Backus I is our Round Three winner.

I’ll get to work on Round Four tomorrow and update nominees for all rounds that have come in lately.

Thanks to everyone who is participating.

9. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
  10. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Damn, I really hoped Gomez-Pintor would win. Never mind...it will remain the greatest 3rd round in my mind at least.

11. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Round 4's already up - you can vote on the rounds already nominated. There are some crackers to watch!

Saintpat likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Betulio Gonzalez vs Espadas had great 13th and 15th rounds.

Jel likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    You're a proper dick.

14. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Hate responding to a guy who got himself banned (again) right after he returned, but ...

These are the greatest completed, 3-minute rounds of all time.

It’s like someone starting a discussion of the greatest 15-round fight that went the distance and you wanting to put a 10th-round knockout into the mix. Doesn’t work like that.

And while it’s really creepy that you decided to stalk my posts to come up with something to make yourself feel superior about (I literally asked a question on a thread ... sorry I don’t keep who held which alphabet title years ago on the top of my head) I hope whatever is happening in your life that is making you agitated gets resolved so you can contribute to this forum. I really do.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  15. mirandasd

mirandasd New Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Act 3 (1.40 - 2.10) Somehow Franklin weathers the storm and now has Lopez backing up and against the corner post shipping punches!