Let's put this to rest once and for all

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Aug 12, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That’s the thing about the internet: You can probably find someone saying anything... Doubt many, if any, of the people who post in this forum would be saying it though.

2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    For me there is nothing that suggests either one is clearly harder puncher than Satterfield. They are all in the same tier in that aspect and picking one over the other is more of a preference than real facts.
    Tua, no disagreement.
    Tough to say to be honest. I've never seen any other fighter who destroyed so many very durable opponents so easily. Maybe it's a matter of deivery, but Louis right hand is hard enough to be compared with any other punch, even Wladimir's straight right.
    Again I agree.
    This is strange because Wilder isn't really bigger than Baer (weight-wise) and I don't see any meaningfull difference in their power punches.

I get your point but some of your examples are far from the best you could use.

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Size doesn't make power in itself. 250lbs Micheal Grant doesn't hit harder than 205lbs Joe Louis. But that's because your comparing an ATG puncher to someone who's just a bigger guy.

When you compare an ATG puncher to a bigger ATG puncher, the bigger one will hit harder, especially as the weight difference gets bigger (and even more at HW)
    For example Wladimir Klitschko clearly hits harder than Jack Dempsey.
    Both ATG Punchers, 1 who's 65lbs bigger. Clear power difference.

But natural power without size will always have a fighter hitting harder than size without power would be.
    Natural power without size will not hit harder than the same natural power with size.

4. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
  5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I personally think the rule where the big man typically beats a smaller man (all other things, including skills, being equal). Bowe was a great example of this, and even he got beat once (on paper) to Holyfield.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I almost admire the level of misplaced optimism in your thread title.

7. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Where does that theory come from, whats the base of it beside inductive reasoning cherry picking? Source: Great Sensei HOUDINI?
    Why should it stop at certain weight? To make hereos of the past like Rocky, Dempsey, Tunney and Charles fit into HW fantasy bouts, satisfying their fans? No stress, just keep it simple, hm ?

As I know your posts LaMotta, I´m pretty sure you´re aware of this and just want to stoke the discussion, which is fine.

Lets put this into perspestive of rational, in some sort scientific reasoning:

115lb/130lb = 0.8856
    130lb/145lb = 0.8965
    145lb/160lb = 0.9063
    160lb/175lb = 0.9143
    175lb/190lb = 0.9211
    190lb/205lb = 0.9268
    205lb/220lb = 0.9318
    220lb/235lb = 0.9362
    235lb/250lb = 0.94

As we can see, an increase of 15lb at the lowest weight matters 100% - 88,56% = 11,44%, as a change between 205 and 220lb means 100% - 93,18% = 6,82 %. At SHW, 15lb difference leads to 6 % difference in weightclass. You could calc. the discrepancy as meaningful difference of 15lb at the lowest weight and SHW as 11,44%/6% = 1,9066 --> 15lb matter 90,66% more for a Flyweight than it does for a SHW.

Lets make this a 30lb weight difference, as for Dempsey going up to HW: 190lb/220lb = 0.8636 (13,64% diff.), and for Duran going up to LHW via 145lb/175lb = 0.8286 (17.14% diff.)

What matters for Duran going up to LHW by 17,14%, matters for Dempsey or Rocky 13,65% going up to HW. The difference bewteen these scenarios is again 17,14%/13,65% = 1,2557 (25,57%).

Conclusion: Going up to LHW is 25,57 % more "task", than going up to HW from Dempsey or Rocky weight. So the "matters less" reasoning is only true for about 1/4 from a rational standpoint, while 75% of it remains the same.

8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I didn't say size doesn't matter but you have to admit that it isn't everything, otherwise, Carnera would hit a hell of a lot harder than Shavers. Carnera was about 6 inches taller and 50 to 60 pounds heavier. No light weight is going to hit harder than a pro with that kind of size advantage, but we have seen it among the bigger men. We've also seen in the past where cruiserweight sized heavies have beaten, dropped, knocked out, demolished, massacred etc super heavyweight sized heavies. And if not for the CW division, we might see more of it. What we didn't see were bonafide light weight fighters beating light heavyweight fighters.

9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I think the probability is high

10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree with this

11. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Exactly. Modern boxing has shoehorned fighters into divisions that are ridiculously close together and the weigh ins today allow a greater latitude for fighters to abuse weight classes. In the old days you just fought whoever you could make money against or move up the ladder against. Five pounds was rarely ever an issue. I wish there were more cross divisional fights without forcing someone to come down in weight etc. it made for more versatile fighters and more interesting fights when it happened.

12. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    This is exactly what I´ve been talking about: Inductive Reasoning by minority examples of choice. Its shows by no contex the big picture.

The big picture is an environment of a fighter X with another 60 opponents. These 60 opponents fought another 60, lets say some of them fighting the same, making the "big picture", or the "Environment" 1000 boxers. These boxers could only reveal their credentials among the avarage chin and punching power as the background reference (power*chin level) of that 1000 boxers "big picture".

You say Schmeling punched harder than Pinklon Thomas => small(power) > big(power) for example will never work, because in fact both Schmeling and Thomas could only prove this value among their background reference environment, with that explicit chin level on avarage. You say Schmeling knocks out Carnera as prove of small > big, than you have to keep in mind what power*chin level Carnera in fact had to overcome to prove himself fighting Baer or Schmeling. According to this, Schmeling proves punching harder than Pinklon Thomas.
    All of that is Inductive Reasoning by picking minor examples among an environment, then putting these credentials (with their power*chin value to overcome) against a total different new value of another environment, in fact the environment Pinklon Thomas had to overcome with power and chin among men 30lb bigger. Of course this can never work.

The Deductive Reasoning is physical science plus studys including punch measurements etc. proving an environment of bigger man got bigger power*chin level to overcome to get into the top 50. It simply makes no sense to put credentials of old environments against environments totally distinct.
    I hope I´d clarify that.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    How can size not matter? Think of it this way.. if you have two guys, one is 185, and another 225, both equally skilled, you believe their chances to be the same?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

I'd wager that a prime Dempsey would destroy Tyson Fury inside 2 rounds

15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    So you should. It's right