Liam Smith, What Next?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Jul 22, 2018.

1. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Brook would fancy Smith in that match if rumours where correct leading up to GGG fight Brook was excellent up at a higher weight.

Brook be to good for a plodder like smith.

2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    You’d still describe Smith as a plodder after last nights performance?

305th likes this.
  3. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Smith fighting Brook now would be crazy.

He can't take another loss.

4. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I honestly think Smith would bust him up at 154. He’s messy to fight against, puts his head in. If you’ve fractured both of your eye sockets would you want to fight Liam Smith? Let’s be honest, would Brook last 12 rounds with Munguia?

305th likes this.
  5. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Iv yet to watch last night's fight from Liam, I should get to watch it later today. I was at a local small hall last night then when I got in I watched the usyk fight.
    If heard a lot of smiths fight and it was exactly what I expected from Liam.
    I would never describe Liam as a plotter he has a strategy and the way he executes it can come across as somewhat one paced but I don't think I would describe him as a plotter.
    Liam has always been my favourite Smith bros he loves a fight and he's a real tough lad.
    As mentioned earlier, where does he go from here....I'm not sure myself.
    Is stock will of gone up again across the pond...maybe something else will come up for him over there in the future. Hope so.
    In the meantime he needs to get back in the rankings. He's stayed with Frank when all the others left, maybe Frank can pull some strings for him and get him somewhere near been back in the mix

Twentyman and Scissors like this.
  6. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    This is a good clip on YouTube mate, enjoy.

This content is protected

im sparticus likes this.
  7. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Munguia lack of defence would get punished by brook way more effectively then Liam Smith's efforts

8. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Just my opinion mate, but I think Liam Smith has more durability than Kel Brook. Kel might be more accurate, have that edge in speed & timing but I don’t think he could put a dent in Munguia either. I like Kel but he’d get stopped/really hurt (again).

9. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Smith put in a commendable performance last night. Can't help think the smith brothers have picked the wrong sport at times tho. Athletically their too limited for world level with the exception of Callum who gets away with it because he pretty much outsizes everyone in the division.

Poor athletically. No speed. No power. Workerates not all that great. Pretty basic tactics. Just been beaten up a bit by a 21 year old. Got took apart badly against canelo. Its pretty clear he doesn't really belong at world level. He's a half decent opponent for the level at best tbh. No shame in that...the smiths are to be commended. Dedicated boys who have got the most out of themselves. But they all have pretty limited natural ability. He can only really go back down a level or stay where he is and be an opponent...and take a bit of a beating. Time to go back to domestic/euro Get some wins going. Take on brook. Get beat. Call it a day. Good career. Not a bad fighter. Just a bit too limited to beat anyone world class. Its actually credit to the smiths they got as far as they have. They,ve done well.

im sparticus likes this.
  10. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    i can see Liam Smith ending up as an Austin Trout type fighter. someone who will get a few title shots and fights against the better 154lbers. he's known to the US fans now, comes to fight and isn't a walkover who will give tests to the better fighters

Scissors and im sparticus like this.
  11. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Thanks mate
    I got to watch the first 7 rds last night, I'll watch the rest tonight or through the day if I get chance.

Twentyman likes this.
  12. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Not all fighters are naturally athletic mate. It’s not stopped them from achieving great things in the sport. They work hard in training camp and get themselves into the best shape they can be to do 12 rounds...ultimately though it’s about the boxing skills, heart & courage. Are/were the Tyson Fury’s, Tony Bellew’s, BJS, Ricky Hatton’s naturally athletic? On the world stage I instantly think of Mikey Garcia whom I don’t see as naturally athletic. Some might disagree or think of better examples. Having natural athleticism is a bonus but it isn’t essential in being successful.

Did you watch the fight?

305th likes this.
  13. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Think I seen the first seven rounds of it mate. As I said commendable performance from smith. But the reality is he's gonna end up taking too much damage for too little reward fighting guys around world level.

I m not one for Athletical ability being an essential. But look at all the guys you,ve listed. Fury and billy Joe have world level boxing ability. Hatton had world level workrate. Tony bellew can punch a bit and world level ring IQ. Mikey Garcia has world level boxing ability and gives very little away.

They,ve all got world level attributes. Liam smith doesn't have that. Although athletical ability isn,t essential...you do need to have something otherwise your gonna end up getting damaged. Smiths best attribute at that level is...he looks like he can take a decent beating. That guy the other nights is only 21. Still looked pretty raw to me. Not sure if he decided early smith can't hurt him...so he didn't,t bother with defence or he just doesn't have much of a defence either way tho...smith just lost pretty fairly to a decent 21 year old.

As I said it was a commendable performance from him...that does deserve a lot of credit. But like Paul they don't have anything for world level. No power. No speed. No world level ring IQ. No real athletism. Pretty basic tactics. Liam can take a beating even then tho how many times has he been down/hurt in the last few fights.

Not knocking the guys because four brothers fighting at that level is an unbelievable achievement in itself. I,d love liam to prove me wrong tbh. But he's needing to take a step back forget world level for the minute. Go domestic/euro. Get a run going. And see where it takes him.

Don't need another smith to start believing their genuine world level because they gave a decent account of themselves and continue to get beat at that level avoiding tough fights that you need to win to prove your world level. Its not been a bad go at world level...but he needs to rebuild properly now. Against good British/euro level guys.

14. hitandhope

hitandhope Well-Known Member Full Member

May 2, 2009
    That’s a great call.

15. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    He would have got double that with Eddie.