Marciano-I Just Don't Understand It

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by janwalshs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
  2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
  3. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    No doubt those would be hellish fights for Rocky.

4. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011

Ok, I don't think we are disagreeing.

5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    It's not just power but size, reach and speed, none of which he had. He won by overpowering guys. He'd never do that against any of the guys mentioned. It's fantasy.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Are you arguing that Holyfield, Spinks, and Byrd still would have been top-tier heavyweights had they fought in the 180s?

PS - Byrd was taller and naturally heavier than Loughran.

7. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    But your description of Rocky has almost nothing to do with explosiveness (other than your unconvincing use of the verb "explode"). Rocky didn't move or punch fast.

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano was not fast at all, he was pretty slow of both hand and foot .Dempsey in contrast was fast into range, quick on his feet and had excellent hand speed .He looks like a cart horse to Dempsey's thoroughbred.During his title reign he was viewed as a poorer,cruder facsimile of Dempsey, I've the magazines of the period expressing that opinion.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    It isn't debateable,and Holyfield also has a proven track record against super heavies.

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You don't know this at all, this is just your unverified opinion as such its worthless.

I've read contemporary reports on both where the writer calls them dangerous opponents for Marciano. The 50's Ring magazines did not hold Marciano in half the esteem he has acquired today. There wa sa school of thought that Marciano was ducking Valdes and articles were written on the subject!

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You don't know this at all, this is just your unverified opinion as such its worthless.

I've read contemporary reports on both where the writer calls them dangerous opponents for Marciano. The 50's Ring magazines did not hold Marciano in half the esteem he has acquired today. There was a school of thought that Marciano and Weill were ducking/avoiding Valdes and articles were written on the subject!

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He obviously does not hit as hard as a heavyweight,he's a very good puncher at 160lbs as his opponents have attested.That's it.If he ever fights Kovalev or Stevenson you'll see how good his power is!

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano is fine with me, a terrific fighter and, by all accounts a great guy.What's not too popular with me is the fanboy BS that gets spewed out denying the laws of physics on his behalf. I didn't say Dempsey would beat them, I said he was not Marciano he was quicker of both hand and foot,had better defence ,was less susceptible to cuts and has a proven track record against big men.Now which part of that statement is false?

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You're just a fan boy ,when you make statements like Marciano threw fast combinations its patently ludicrous, he was slow and crude and had poor balance that often saw him on the floor when he missed a punch , he was also a dirty f*cker.No amount of hero revisionism on your part will change that.Now here's something for you to ponder on before you call me silly again.The Don Cockell that fought Marciano against any of the names I picked in the thread,how many rounds does he go? Ditto 40years old Archie Moore!

BTW Louis was not knocked out cold in fact he wasn't knocked out at all Goldstein did not complete the count, best not make statements that can so easily be disproven.He didn't knock Charles out twice their first fight was a points win for Marciano.He fouled the **** out of Lastarza and Cockell and insisted on tiny rings to gain an advantage because of his slow footwork.The average age of his best opponents is 35.25years! Do some home work next time.

15. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Well he already knocked Kovalev down in sparring. But yeah, we will see!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016