Marciano v Cokkell Not In B & W.By D Brown

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Tonto62, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Just a thought Tonto, how bad did making the weight at Light Heavy effect Cockell? He had a condition I believe which made him put weight on.
    He was stopped and knocked down several times by Slade, who wasn’t a big hitter. Later by Turpin who admittedly could bang.
    His form seemed to improve dramatically when moved up to heavy after the Turpin defeat.
    Not looking for excuses for him but it seems inconceivable that a man who was stopped and dropped several times by Slade could take that shellacking from Marciano and be stopped on his feet.

BitPlayerVesti and choklab like this.
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    He had a bout of glandular fever which affected his metabolism.But he was stopped 4 times prior to the Slade fight and he weighed184lbs for that ,around the weight he scored his best wins before gaining weight

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Cecil likes this.
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Precisely.

His form as a heavyweight made Don a legitimate contender.

4. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    these have ALL been answered before,a good few times and ARE Public Reports QUOTED of their reports in Trade Periodicals and Papers...

you were even told by other posters of Gilroy's World Classification in Ring Magazine between the years 1938 - 1948 and you blanked, evaded and ignored the dialogue.

you didn't expect any such answer Mcvey,

you NEVER engage point for point you DEMAND exclusive acceptance of YOUR Points and completely IGNORE what others point out, direct you too and hope for honest exchange.

I'm not playing this EVER Again with you Mcvey... these past conversations are also in the Public domain as are the RECORDED History.

5. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Its my thread and it wasn't me that hi jacked it. Im inviting this poster to a straight forward debate on the abilities of Bert Gilroy and as a I expected he bailed out. Just as you never addressed the fact of Holyfield's age and Toney's weight and length of time since contesting at middleweight, but then again I expected no more from you.

6. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    He has wins over 2 busted flushes, Mathews who was never ranked at heavyweight and Lastarza who was ruined by Marciano.But you continue in your weaselly fashion, its what you do.lol

7. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Grow a pair Mate!

8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Breazeale went life and death with Kassi, Mansour and Ugonoh

9. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Ugonuh hits like a train!

10. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Mr Glenn .you have no nuts! Produce a Ring rating that has Gilroy in its top ten any year will do!
    Gilroy won the Scottish Area Middle title from Tommy Small in1938
    To put into context the significance of this win , Small had lost his last 5 fights,he would have 4 more, win just 1 of them ,over Billy Mawson who was 6-9-3 then retire.
    Gilroy won the vacant Scottish Area title in1945 his opponent Jock McCusker had won 1 of his last 4 fights and 3 of his last 11.
    Show us which victories earned Gilroy this unsubstantiated world top ten ranking?

11. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Who has he shown that against? He's fought no one.

12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Nice video. Marciano had great footwork. His movement was almost crab-like , he rarely moved in and out in straight lines.
    Elite levellers couldn't keep him off . One of the best pressure fighters!

choklab likes this.
  13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Why are you guys always bashing this guy's grandfather?

In Ring magazine’s February 1942 issue, they rank the top fighters in every division through 1941. At middleweight, Bert Gilroy is just outside the top 15. He’s in the Group 3 category with fighters like Fred Apostoli. He’s rated ahead of fighters like Jake Lamotta, Harry Matthews, Dick Turpin, Tommy Yarosz and Nate Bolden.

Of the fighters Ring has included in their middleweight ratings for the year ending 1941, Gilroy would beat Ginger Sadd (Group 4) twice and Pat O’Connor (Group 4) four times.

Gilroy is literally the only middleweight from the UK listed in the RING middleweight rankings from Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3.

Where did Ring Magazine rank your grandfather? Higher than Fred Apostoli?

Seriously. Lighten up.

https://ibb.co/zNqCBMR

young griffo and choklab like this.
  14. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    This content is protected

Tell me what you think of his power after watching this.

15. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Because
    1. He keeps inflating his ability
    2.He implies he is the only one who has ever read a book on boxing.
    3 He says others spread fiction and are unaware of results.
    My Grandfather fought on the cobbles I make no claims for him being a world class boxer.
    Gilroy never beat Sadd when he was ranked, which I believe was only at the end of 39, true or false? I'm happy to be corrected
    Thistle states his Grandfather is the greatest British middleweight who never won a British title, or world honours I dispute that, I think Michael Watson was better, and he has better wins .Who did Gilroy beat who was as good as Nigel Benn? Watson was also world top ten ranked true or false? Was Gilroy even better than Martin Murray or Ted Moore?
    I didn't start this, I just responded to oblique insinuations.I prefer a frontal approach myself..