Mike Tyson Vs. George Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Jun 29, 2007.

1. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    The Foreman that crushed Frazier would beat Tyson as well. The fight wouldn't last long no matter who wins so stamina would be a non factor. This would be a pier 6 brawl between 2 ferocious punchers and I see George taking it in 2 or 3 rounds. Mike would be intimidated not George. Plus George had a good jab that he would use to set up his big bombs. The man punching down has the advantage and that would be George not Mike. I think Mike would discourage fast when his shots wouldn't stop Foreman and he feels Foreman's power in return. One hell of a brawl but I think Big George takes it.

2. radianttwilight

radianttwilight Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
    Infinitely better defence/combination punching, a chin that at the very least equals Foreman's, and power that certainly isn't far off the mark.

The winner is "Iron" Mike Tyson via TKO in 4.

3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006

A bit later than that, but I'd otherwise agree with a Tyson win. Good reasoning.

4. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    But Tyson would have to be the one charging in. Wouldn't he be more prone to get caought coming in? If Tyson stuck to the outside, Foreman's longer arms would do alot of damage.

5. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Angelo Dundee in his book "I only talk winning" claimed that George was most effective punching down and hooking which is why he thought Ali would beat him. Against Tyson George would certainly be punching down and hooking since he was the taller man and had the longer reach. A good barometer for how these two would do in a head to head matchup is to look at thier one common opponent, Evander Holyfield. George took hundreds of clean shots in his fight with Evander and never stopped trying, even stunning Evander on a couple of ocassions before losing a 12 round decision. Tyson on the other hand was psychologically beaten when he realised that Evander wasn't afraid of him and fired right back at him when tagged by Mike. This gives us valuable insight into the minds of both men and how they react when faced with adversity which is why I think Foreman would win in this matchup between rounds 3 and 5. Mike would become discouraged after tasting Foreman's power and would quit, psycholgically speaking before succumbing to George's power in a physical sense. Another factor in this fight would be Foreman's jab. It would back Mike up and set him up for those sweeping down to up hook/uppercuts ala Frazier. Even Tyson's solid chin could'nt take too many of those. Styles make fights as we've heard a million times in the world of boxing and George's style is all wrong for Tyson period.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  6. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Do To Tysons Lack Of Heart ,and Somewhat Shakeble Chin It Could Go Either Way But I Belive Tysons Superb Slipping And Bobbing ,like His Itle DempSey Would Come Into Play And His Counterpunches Would Shake George ,causing A 3 Knockdown Tko Within Rounds 6-8

7. slicksouthpaw16

slicksouthpaw16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Tyson wouldn't even fight Foreman, let alone beat him. He ducked an old George becuase he knew he would lose even at that stage in his career. Foreman is too big and strong and Tyson didn't react to being pushed back by bigger and stronger fighters.He has also never came back from a lossing position to win a fight, but folded like news paper instead. Thats where some of your assestments are flawed. You guys are imagining **** happening that Tyson has never showed or done. There are 5 things that Tyson would need in order to beat peak Foreman, funny how they are 5 things that he never had.

1. Weathering an early storm
    2. Reacing well to being pushed backward
    3. Coming back from a lossing position
    4. Keeping a consisant pace for an entire fight
    5. Having Heart

Unlike you all. I actually go by things that i have actually seen. Foreman is the hardest hitter of all time IMO, on top of him being a bully. Tyson would simply be caught cold early and put away. Style match up favors Foreman. You have to give him lateral movement in order to beat becuase he is the bigger guy, better chin, stronger and tougher, not walk directly into fire. Which is what Tyson would do becuase he has no other way of fighting. Foreman TKO 4.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  8. slicksouthpaw16

slicksouthpaw16 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Its certainly far off the mark. Tyson knocked out tamota cans, Foreman knocked out greats and elite fighters that were in their primes. Funny how Evander looked his best when he was in his come back. Mercer even gave Holyfield a tougher fight than Tyson did. Tyson landed everything in his arsenal against Holyfield and didn't shake him up one time. Evander had previously been stopped by Bowe, that has to say something about Tyson's power. Hmmm, is it severly overrated? :D

9. prime

prime BOX! Writing Champion Full Member

Feb 27, 2006
    My view hasn't changed one iota: for the umpteenth time, Tyson will not simply mindlessly come forward like Jamaica Frazier. Tyson had much better tools: he was power, plus skills, plus speed, plus defense, plus a chin.

In challenging Berbick, Tyson employs speedy lateral movement and comes in from the sides with uncanny angle power shots that staggered the durable Jamaican within the first 2 minutes. Foreman's slo-mo Mummy-defense would be more porous than a Dutch dike.

On the other hand, Foreman's blows were too slow and predictable to catch the knowing Tyson by surprise. Tyson could mostly avoid the tree-trunk jab and sweeping uppercut. Of course, George could maul and push (Berbick's jabs, uppercut and pushing back were for naught), but, come engagement time, it could very well be a Foreman miss punished by a speedily shocking Tyson combo to the head. And if Ali could stun Foreman in Round 1, Tyson could do a Berbick on him quite feasibly.

This is not merely a slugfest, which is one scenario I believe has many picking Foreman. Foreman couldn't handle speed in Zaire and to me Tyson's unique skill set spells trouble for the defensively-challenged Big George.

10. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Did a prime Foreman fight other fighters with the size proportions of Tyson,Frazier & how did he do against them?

11. Hatesrats

Hatesrats "I'm NOT Suprised..." Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Depends Which Era Mike Tyson as opposed to which Foreman..IMO

"Kid Dynamite" Tyson Vs. The Foreman's
    Tyson by T.K.O. 8th RD. [Young] Foreman
    Tyson by UD [Comeback] Foreman

"Iron" Mike Tyson Vs. The Foreman's
    Tyson by K.O. 8th RD. [Young] Foreman

"Mighty" Mike Tyson Vs. The Foreman's
    Tyson by K.O. 10th RD. [Young] Foreman

"World Tour" Mike Tyson Vs. The Foreman's
    Foreman by K.O. 2nd RD. [Young] Foreman
    Foreman by K.O. 1st RD. [Comeback] Foreman

12. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Tyson's chin better than Foreman's? :lol::lol::lol:

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Utter shyte. Tho i pick Foreman (1st career) myself this post is total one sided crapola from someone that would pick his grandma over Tyson. What in gods name did Tyson have to gain fighting an old man who hadn't beat a single contender up to the time people are claiming Tyson avoided him. The whole Tyson avoided Foreman thing is embarrassing.

15. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Well, someone here posted a link to an article where the claim was made that Tyson refused a fight with Foreman. I was surprised myself, but the sources seemed to be pretty credible. Personally I always thought (back when they both were active) that Tyson would massacre old George, and was quite relieved that the fight never happened, considering how brave and game Foreman was then. I pictured him taking a brutal beating.

Of course, Foreman in his prime would be a totally different concept.