Mike Tyson vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Jun 25, 2007.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Debating subjective topics we can do all day long. Debating objective topics is very easy because it is or it isn't. Every available footage of Frazier in YouTube I've seen. So if that is counted as much by you, then you're wrong. If that isn't counted as much by you, then you're right.

Totally disagree with you calling Foster a bum. He's literally one of the best ever to lace em up.

Being fair is all I ask of you.

Tyson's jab was used as a terrific offensive weapon to set up his combinations and give extra cover to his weaving stance. His use of a jab is right up there with anyone's imo. I love seeing a jab used offensively to set up an attack rather than defensively to rack up points. So maybe I'm biased in that I prefer offensive measures to defensive but then again I have Sweet Pea my number 2 ATG so maybe I'm not that biased after all.

2. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Better body puncher? Again Tyson had an all time right hand to throw to the body. All Joe had was the left hook. You cannot compare the two offensively just because of this factor ALONE.

I've seen big hwts wearing body padding using big sparring gloves quit in the ring with Tyson due to body punches. The guy had dynamite in both hands.

3. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Very few people stood toe to toe with Tyson in a shootout, the only guy that lasted the 12 rounds was Ruddock.

So all this 'Tyson will wilt in a long battle' is kind of pointless.

What the Ruddock fights show us is that Tyson can stand toe to toe with a hard puncher for 12 rounds and still carry on fighting.

So anyone who thinks if Frazier makes it out of round 6 (which he wont) all of a sudden its Fraziers fight, are mistaken.

Tyson stopped Ribalta in 10, dropped Douglas in 8 and also stood his ground with the 6'5, 230+ Ruddock.

Sorry, Frazier isnt miraculously turning this around, unless its rounds 13-15 in a 15 round fight.

4. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Think you need to go watch the Tillis fight and Holyfield fights, both men especially Holyfield fought fire with fire. Any of time Tyson opened up Evander came back with more.

Ruddock couldn't dream of carrying Frazier's jockstrap, landing one or two power shots is nothing compared to what Frazier could do.

5. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Put the gloves on and ill show you the difference between a hard puncher and a sharp puncher.

6. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Tillis did anything but stand toe to toe with Tyson.

Apart from being black and fighting George Foreman, Frazier and Holyfield have nothing in common.

7. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Slapping doesn't count as punching I'm afraid, I'd love to have a spar with you believe me... :lol:

8. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Tillis didn't stand toe to toe? Me thinks you haven't seen the fight.

Who said Frazier was like Holyfield? Holyfield out slugged Tyson in both fights, Frazier was also a master of it.

9. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Sort it out then.

10. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Holyfield didnt outslug Tyson, it would help if you actually watch a fight before commenting on it.

Most of Holyfields offence consisted of simple counter punch 1-2s, pushing and wrestling Tyson around and tiring him out.

If Tillis stood toe to toe with Tyson, why does everyone say he fought 'Ali like' in that fight?

11. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Anytime anyplace, I reckon I might get done for animal cruelty after I've beaten a skinny rat like you....

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Oh but he did, every time Tyson tried mixing it Holyfield would fight back harder and boss the exchanges. He bullied Tyson in every aspect possible.

Who said Tillis fought like Ali??? Ali didn't exactly back out of exchanges now did he...

13. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    :lol:

I boxed at MW, 15 years ago, im CW now

:lol:

14. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Tysons mental issues are very well known by those close to the game during his time. These type of issues generally resurface when a fighter is in situations during fights that bring out their inherit self doubt. Look at any bout where Mike was losing, being hurt, forced the think and guess what? He loses! He dominated Rudduck both times they fought so this is a bad example from you.

I always said and this comment was generally agreed with by others I know as close to boxing as I was at that time.......Give Tyson Fraziers heart and will to win and you would have an unstoppable hwt. The wars he had with Ali in fights one and three where he was taking tremendous battering but still triumphed in one and nearly came back in another to win I could never see Tyson enduring.

That all being said I strongly believe Tysons power, speed and very quick start would prove a very short night for Frazier.

15. Azzer85

Mar 13, 2010
    Anyone and everyone who have watched the fight all say, Tillis fought just like a Prime Ali in that fight.