Mike Tyson vs. Tim Witherspoon

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Melankomas, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Hey Terrible Tim Witherspoon: Hey champ who would have won and why?

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  2. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    At there bests possibility Tyson on points .The Tyson who was losing it I think spoon might stop him late had the power and skill to do it .Dangerous bloke

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Tyson would find his way thru the cross armed defense with his two fisted attack, mostly via the left hook, combination punching and quite importantly, handspeed. I think he'd overwhelm him personally completely based on styles. Holmes himself was supposed to utilize the left hook strategically in that fight but the left hook wasn't really part of his game and it never eventuated.

4. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    John Thomas1, Mike Tyson would have to be wary of Terrible Tim Witherspoon's overhand right hand, the one he used to stop Frank Bruno on July 19 1986 in London, England. That overhand right was very potent.

5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I don't think it would be such a dangerous weapon vs the shorter man though. Tyson gets low so it would nullify the overhand right of Witherspoon.

When this fight could've actually took place in 86 Tyson would've destroyed a fat unmotivated Witherspoon.

But as someone else said when Witherspoon cameback in 90s with a resurgence, and was knocking out Gonzalez and giving Mercer a tough fight. I think Tyson/Witherspoon in 96 would've been very interesting.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Agreed, maybe we should seek another opinion of a faithful Mike Tyson fan, Sangria. But Witherspoon did look good against Bruno, don't you agree? Witherspoon took out Bruno in round 11 to retain his WBA title, that fight was shown live on ABC's Wide World Of Sports from London, England on July 19 1986.

Sangria likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Somewhat but i don't think it figures to a fight turning extent. Tyson was a brilliant defensive technician (within his own aggressive style) at his best and single punches weren't going to end his night. Witherspoon wasn't an out and out banger even if he did have excellent power in a perfectly timed right hand. It never worried the likes of Page, Thomas, Snipes or even Smith. A weak chinned Williams went the duration too. Bruno actually lasted a long time and gave Tim quite an entertaining even before succumbing as he customarily did.

Richard M Murrieta and Sangria like this.
  8. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would have rather saw this fight than the Bone crusher fight. Tyson beats Witherspoon

9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Wouldn't have been a handful for Floyd Patterson

10. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Really good post, John. But I don't see it as being that easy for MIke. Spoon had a really good, bizarrely underrated jab. I think if the motivated Holmes Spoon shows up, it will be a full night (though I certainly see Mike winning).

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Rules. I respect your opinion even if we alter a bit here. At his absolute best Tyson turned jabs against the jabber. His whole style was based on it. Tim won't be able to hold off Tysons insanely fast start with a jab. That will simply give Tyson avenues to slip in and unload. Witherspoon either has to blast him off early or do what most everyone did and try and tie him up. Futch himself believed left hooks were the way to go against Witherspoon and his defensive style. If/when Witherspoon shifts his right hand due to hooks that huge uppercut is coming and coming fast. Tyson can smash the body as well if he raises both arms high.

Tim had an excellent chin but he could be hurt too. Holmes himself had him going a bit. If Tyson doesn't get him in the first 2 or 3 i'd probably side with a distance fight but my gut feeling is he gets him out of there. Tyson's probably the most dangerous Heavyweight early on in history.

Berbick was very tough and durable and Mercado was long forgotten. If they never fought there would be many people predicting it going beyond 2 rounds IMO.

Hope you are well and lifting big mate.

12. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    575X10 on the squat last week, 300x8 on the barbell bent over row, definitely hitting it hard and heavy!

Hope you're having a wonderful week, my friend.

13. Andrew Dickson

Andrew Dickson New Member Full Member

May 18, 2023
    Well if Tim's comes in top shape and is ready to fight Tyson is going to have his hands full. Tim is strong, good defence, good hand speed good jab and is tough and durable. Tyson at his peak is a force - lightning fast powerful and hard to hit.

Be a very good bout!

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Man, you certainly don't **** around!!!!

15. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Witherspoon got stopped in one round in 87 against Bonecrusher, I don't see how 87 Tim wouldn't get stopped. If this was 83-84 Witherspoon, this would be a much tougher fight for Tyson.

Reinhardt likes this.