Most one sided you've seen?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by impacted, Sep 25, 2021.

1. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Box and move. Kept it simple. Real Olympic style boxing.

Gatekeeper and Bulldog24 like this.
  2. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I'll be completely honest and say I have always been high on AJ. I have been a boxing fan since Hagler beat Minter for the MW title and have trained a bit of boxing on and off and still go to a boxing gym now at 50 to do a bit of bag/pad work, cardio and shunt a few weights.

The point I'm making is I saw AJ as a ever present top 10 HW in the current scene, likely holding at least one belt and being a threat to any other HW but, last night was a humiliation and AJ seems to have regressed when he should be hitting his stryde.

He looked gun shy and clueless and although most of that was down to Usyk, I saw a genuine vulnerability in AJ's self belief and total lack of a plan B. AJ lost the first 4 rounds by a mile and other than slightly increasing his output for a few rounds, did nothing differently. His corner advised him like it was an even tactical battle when it was anything but and I see AJ as damaged goods now.

He might be saying all the right things in defeat but, there's no conviction there or self belief.

If I was AJ, I'd scrap the rematch, see if Shane Mcguigan is up for training him, get a decent sports psychologist and take some confidence builders at the 02 Arena.

Unfortunately, commercial pressure will dictate AJ take the immediate rematch, he will lose and AJ will steadily fade into obscurity.

BoxingABC1 and Gatekeeper like this.
  3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    You're right that AJ has regressed mentally since the Ruiz loss but his power and intensity are not what they once were for example the AJ who hurt Whyte with every meaningful shot 6 years ago is gone.
    Best course of action would be a new trainer followed by at least 2 tune up fights but suspect he'll take 6 months off stay with McCracken and go straight into an Usyk rematch if that's the route AJ takes he's done.

Brixton Bomber and Tankatron like this.
  4. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I really do think there are too many people not realising how difficult Usyk is to fight. AJ is limited along with countless other fighters out there. With the best will in the world, was AJ ever going to get to grips with Usyks mobility and technical skills. It’s not a wrestling or strength competition. The only chance he had was to catch Usyk with a damaging, fight ending punch. Poor old AJ has a couple of blips on the radar and it’s all over. Let’s see how Usyks future fights go before we judge too harshly on AJ.
    Usyks cv is outstanding. He is a formidable foe for any fighter of any era. Usyk put a career defining performance in on Saturday night that very few fighters of any weight could of dealt with. As I have said many times, ‘It’s no good having a shotgun if you can’t hit the rabbit’

5. Glenn McKrory

Glenn McKrory M&S luxury pudding Full Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Most one sided fight I've seen?

Campbell Hatton Vs that fella last night was pretty one sided.

He still won mind you, so it doesn't really matter what happens in the ring.

nilrem, rezzer and Twentyman like this.
  6. BirdieNumNum

BirdieNumNum New Member banned Full Member

Sep 23, 2021
    Barrera vs Naz was a one sided ass whooping mismatch. He beat him like a ragdoll.

7. First Round KO

First Round KO Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Never noticed sorry.

8. Tomatron

Tomatron Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Ricky Burns winning despite a very early knockdown against him against Roman Martinez was pretty one sided after the first round.

9. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    It wasn’t ridiculously one sided as everyone is making out. I scored it 7-5 Usyk on the night, and could have seen 8-4 depending on how you scored the second but AJ was still in the fight after 10 rounds, but Usyk stepped it up and ran away with it in the championship rounds.

10. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The Pride of Wales is one of our greatest ever yet he gets serious stick on here and little credit from same people.

46 wins from 46 fights and fighting nearly all his career with badly damaged hands.

The Lacy example is a classic way to discredit a great by ridiculing his opponent after a loss.

Calzaghe was the outsider with the Bookmakers in this fight and most thought he was getting knocked out.

The performance that night was right up there with the best boxing skills seen in any ring - an absolute clinic.

11. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    The only way to give AJ 5 rounds is to be bias towards him imo. 5 rounds is very generous

12. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I can see why you think that - I can assure you I’m not bias towards AJ but I wanted to be what I thought was fair. I scored 2,4,5,6 and 8th to AJ but could see Usyk winning the second. I’d felt after 6 AJ was going to pull away and Usyk would stop engaging after he’d shipped a couple of right hands, but to his credit Usyk increased on the tank there and wore AJ out. Even though I gave AJ the 8th I felt he was in serious danger, and then I had it level after 10 but then Usyk upped his gears even more in the championship rounds and ran away with it in the end.

Cookiedough, BoxingABC1 and Twentyman like this.
  13. First Round KO

Sep 14, 2013
    Agreed, very satisfying to see the big head destroyed.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  14. First Round KO

Sep 14, 2013
    Calzaghe/Lacy, Ward/Froch, both one sided walk in the parks.

15. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    It wasn't quite the dismantling that Lacy Calzaghe was. Round 2 was close with no much happening and AJ probably won a couple of rounds in the middle of the fight. Lacy didn't win a minute.

I thought the cards were fairly decent. I had it something like 117-111 was there a 115 card? That was too close but the decision was thankfully correct.

I thought AJ would be able to impose himself on Usyk but never really came close other than a couple of rounds where Usyk either took a breather or felt a heavy shot in the middle of the fight. Usyks agility and movement were next level

Gatekeeper likes this.