Most talented 1980's underachiever heavyweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Apr 2, 2020.

1. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    I was being sarcastic. Why do you guys have your sarcasm filters set to "extreme"? Gil Clancy once said "Tillis needs a heart transplant" during the TV telecast of a Tillis fight . I know he did not have a heart condition ffs.

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I think there’s some truth to the last statement. Saw an interview somewhere where he said he saw an interview with Muhammad Ali and said, ‘I don’t want to end up like that’ and how boxing was a big part of his life but he’s glad he got out when he did.

Titan1 likes this.
  3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    The bout was on the table. It was part of the HBO heavyweight tournament. All Tim had to do was get by what was considered to be an easy fight for him---the Smith rematch. He'd already dominated the guy A to Z & a rematch win gives the WBA champ the WBC/IBF title shot against Tyson.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  4. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Spoon had old school pedigree. I think that he looked the aggressor and the winner against Holmes and of course Larry wanted no part of a rematch(but you will read 100 excuses here)

Roughhouse, Titan1 and lloydturnip like this.
  5. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    There is interview with Larry Holmes where he may well have been stroking his own not inconsiderable ego but he was adamant that Cooney would have been world champion had he (Larry) not been around.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  6. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    It was on the table yeah and Tim blew it but I still thought he could have been given a shot instead of Tubbs. At the time I thought he would have been a far better opponent than Buster Douglas. May have to admit I got that one wrong !

7. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Same with Tim as the rest of those guys outside of Holmes===they could rise up and win the title on career best performance night.
    they had the tools.
    what they could not do was sustain it for like 2 fights. And these guys all seem to have a horrible B game. It was like A game or C game that we had to endure for quite a while.

8. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Larry was never one to under play his, admittedly, considerable talent but it's interesting he said that. Larry probably fought the best Gerry Cooney that night.

9. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Mitch Green had the size and pedigree but like the other HW on this list
    potential wasted by substance abuse.

Titan1 likes this.