Muay Thai fighter vs Boxer?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by TheStraightLeft, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Saber120

Saber120 New Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Wholy ouch **** that was shocking. Cant believe he dropped his hand to block like that.

Any boxer who wants to be consistantly successful in kickboxing needs to learn the basics of defence and do the sparring. Kinda like mark hunt who mostly punches and defends the rest. People say that boxers stances are too messed up and innapropriate for kickboxing and checking kicks but i dont always think so as i see quiet a bit of variation in boxing stances with some being halfway to a kickboxing stance which also has variation. Nor does anderson silvas stance in his training books/ vids look that radically different. Ive never had much trouble altering my stance if needed as mine is already a very balanced stance somewhat suitable for all sports.

As far as good boxers vs good kickboxers well i still dont think we have had a "even" matchup. Thats the point of matchmaking is to make the fight competetive based on what level they at in thier sport. Bit hard to do match ups for various sports though. These fights have given us a idea and confirm alot of what everyone is saying. You cant say they dont mean anything. I dont think botha was on the level of alot of those guys he fought in K1 comparable to what level he was at in boxing when he left. What about the bojanski fight? I heard botha was winning that till he got knocked down by a head kick. The thing is though is that when botha was at his best lennox made him look ****ing useless and smashed him horribly. That does give you a idea of where he was at in boxing when he was at his best and had his shot at the title . Then he was getting bashed by wlad a few years after that. Not many boxing fans seem to think too highly of wlad.

Its hard to tell but we have some examples.

Bare knuckle is a different ballgame and a whole other argument. With gloves though any professional boxer with a brain will and should come properly prepared or otherwise he is stupid.

The problem is we will probably never see the elite level boxers fighting. Because if they are in the top twenty or even more they should be making more money in boxing and will stay there.

2. banger8412

banger8412 New Member Full Member

Jan 25, 2011
    whats going on with these threads people? its the fighter not the style!!!!!!! i train in both disiplines from a boxers pov if he gets clinched hes done from the elbows and knees

3. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Depends on execution. If a boxer uses his footwork then he shouldn't be getting involved in a Thai clinch and should be avoiding kicks. He should also be looking for some swift and brutal punches to land quickly. If a boxer is stationary then a Muay Thai guy will go to school on his legs, get him in the clinch and knee his head into orbit.

Style vs style is about execution but in MMA few could stay strictly in their style i.e. a wrestler will naturally want to move his head or hold his hands up if he is moving in on a boxer. He won't come in with his elbows tucked in and hands low as he braces himself for a take down or underhooks.

4. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Depends, from a distance Muai thai fighter has the advantage. Close range a boxer, even in the clinch the body is exposed

5. Theonlyone

Theonlyone Active Member Full Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Anderson Silva's last KO was described as a teep.

6. HENDO

HENDO Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Shannon Briggs also beat the **** outta of a guy in his MMA fight and he ended it with one punch.

Most people that practice Muy Thai are average practicioners and would be nothing in boxing.

7. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Shannon Briggs beat a wrestler in kickboxing match. He did not fight under mma rules. He out punched a wrestler that was not allowed to wrestle.

8. Theonlyone

Theonlyone Active Member Full Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I was going to say the same thing. Tom Erikson lost all of his K-1 matches and all by KO.

9. Mister T

Mister T Conquer.... Full Member

Sep 1, 2010
    As a practitioner of Muay Thai, here's how I see it:

an average boxer beats an average Muay Thai fighter.
    however,
    an average boxer loses to an average dutch kickboxer.

Muay Thai fighters have a tendency to be very upright and have virtually no head movement. Additionally, they usually throw punches/kicks one at a time rather than in combos. At the same time, they do have better clinchwork/knees/elbows than their dutch counterparts.

Dutch Kickboxers, on the other hand, created a style which combined the lethal kicks of muay thai, with the hand combinations, head movement, and footwork of boxing. They tend to throw combinations and will punctuate them with lethal leg kicks.

To better understand Dutch kickboxing, look at the following highlight vid of Ernesto "Mr. Perfect" Hoost, one of the greatest Dutch Kickboxers of all time:

[yt]6eIJTWYX8F0[/yt]

Notice how he throws combinations (to the head and body) along with murderous leg kicks.

IMO, a boxer will have a much harder time dealing with the footwork, combinations, and strikes of a dutch kickboxer than a Muay Thai fighter.

EDIT:

Here's a better HL vid (just ignore the gay music)....

[yt]M8pVpTvyQCI&feature=related[/yt]

10. outtieDrake

outtieDrake Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 17, 2009
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s-1pu8PduQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Evvdo0wrU[/ame]

there are other fights where boxers have beaten k1 fighters ranging from kick boxing and thai boxers. But mma is neither k1 or boxing, but boxing is in most cases , the proffered style for grapplers. Because the thai boxing stance is unpractical for mixing striking and grappling . you can shoot better or sprawl from a "wide boxing stance" than a traditional thai boxing stance (one knee bent and back leg rested).

11. 1HitterQuitter

1HitterQuitter RUTHLESS BY LAW Full Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Muay thai fighter ofcourse! duh, common sense. Muay thai fighter would work a boxers legs until they turn to jello, then go in for the kill.

12. ttunnel rat

ttunnel rat Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    The fundamentals of boxing is far more scientific than MT. Leverage and angles are the critical aspects of the sport to master. Because of MT reliance on kicks, defensively they are vulnerable to boxers. They arm punch, no head and body movement, they just block punches and kicks, they leave their body wide open. The boxer has only to get the angle, move in load up on the kickboxer, he will not worry about being countered, as in a boxing match. Even if a kickboxer connects with a low kick, it won't knock-out a boxer, and standing on one leg is vulnerable from combination punches. A Humberto Soto would be very a dangerous opponent for a kickboxer.