Need a new heavy bag

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Seamus, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Split my old 120 lb Aqua Bag today. Time for a change or should I double down and get another Aqua? What's new in the heavy bag world? What's best? Thoughts appreciated.

Pat M likes this.
  2. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Aqua bags are good and all, off course way better for your joints too but I'd go for a ringside heavybag if I was you. Thay make really quality bags
    can get real pricey though.

Saintpat and Pat M like this.
  3. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Those Aqua bags are nice, we've had three at our gym and finally gave up on them after opening the gym and finding the floor wet for a third time. They all busted at night while not being used. The tear drop shaped ones came apart at the seams. The bottom part would fall away from the top. If the Aqua bags would hold up, that's all we'd use because they are not hard on the joints. We have now done what a lot of gyms are doing, we are using the 6' Muay Thai style leather bags. They're heavy enough and they allow good body and head punching, they just don't move much. Like anything, you give up one thing to get another.

If you don't mind spending the money, Title and Everlast (did, don't know about now), make good leather boxing bags that are heavy (125 lbs+) but shorter than the MT bags, and move more. They can get expensive, depending on leather and other features. I still like the bags with a long chain that hang high and move, a lot of gyms use those heavy bag stands now where the bag is mounted about 7' high and is mostly stationary. There are a lot of choices now, but the Aqua bags are nice!

sasto likes this.
  4. sasto

sasto Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    What do you recommend for use at home that's easiest on the joints? It would be great if it had a stand rather than needing to swing from the ceiling.

I own my house so I could do that if it's really necessary but I hate tearing the ceiling up.

@Pat M and @Seamus appreciate your recommendations too.

5. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    An aqua bag is really the best bag for your joints(to my knowledge). Your not getting the full impact of a regular heavy bag and if your ever injured it's much easier to work.

sasto likes this.
  6. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    I think that if I was going to use a bag stand in a standard height room, I'd look for a bag that wouldn't move much. Something heavy...you might even want to consider an Aqua bag if you can find one that is guaranteed not to bust. Otherwise, there is a lot of water in one of those bags and if it is on the second floor, it could cause a lot of damage to the ceiling below. If you are going to use the bag in a basement or garage, the possibility of water damage wouldn't be as big a factor. The water bags seem to be easier on the joints, I don't have any scientific proof, but people seem to enjoy using them and when we had them, people would go to them first if they were not being used.

We haven't had a water bag in a few years and when we did, they weren't the most expensive. Maybe the more expensive ones are much better or maybe they have improved over the last few years? I don't see any disadvantage to the water bags other than the possibility of it leaking or busting.

sasto likes this.
  7. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Anyone use the Ringside Hydroblast bag?

8. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Got the newest, biggest model of the Aquabag, 190 pounds full. First workout on it today. Love it. Love the extra weight. The bigger size allows for more angle, more movement around. Pounded the everloving sh*t out of it for an hour and feel great. Recommended.

9. Tomatron

Tomatron Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2021
    I bought a free standing stand when I moved in to a new house about three years ago, without a doubt if I could do back I wouldn’t do it.

After doing 6 rounds on the bag a night, for about 6 months, it was rattling and cracks were forming, I needed free weights to stop it from moving on the floor, but even if I hit it 35-40% of max power it would still slide across the floor. If you bolt it to the floor you might get better success, but be careful which brand you go for as the cracks were worrying. I additionally was always maintaining it every 2 weeks which made no difference.

10. Thefatprinceofwincobank

Thefatprinceofwincobank Rhino stoppers Full Member

Aug 11, 2021
    21” aqua bag for me.

One of the fitters at work fabricated me a lovely bracket with 6 fixing holes and I used 10mm anchor bolts to secure it to the wall outside.

Stuck a pull up bar on the other end of the wall, 16kg kettlebell, skipping rope and I’m good to go for half hour solid exercise when I’m on nights and can’t be bothered to go the gym. I absolutely love the bag. The neighbours adjoined to me probably less so.