NEW James J. Corbett book

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by apollack, Jun 17, 2007.

1. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    This is what Kevin Smith (Ksmith9116) had to say:

I had the pleasure of reading an advanced copy of Adam's new book and I can assure you that it is quite worth the price of admission. Like Adam's work on Sullivan, In the Ring With James J. Corbett, is a highly detailed, well written, well researched and thoroughly detailed work. I am a big fan of primary sources and this book supplies them in detail, using them to craft a thoroughly accurate and objective look at Corbett's fighting career, his machinations and his business acumen. Adam remains objective in his prose, giving several sides to each fight, each story. In my opinion, Adam's series on the heavyweight champions is the most exhaustively comprehensive group of works available on the fighting lives of these very public and very important social figures. If you want to know about Jim Corbett's career as a fighter, you needn't look any further than In the Ring With James J. Corbett.

I might also add that at 435 pages, the price tag of $30 is a bargain.

2. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    you have over a hundred pages on marvin hart? that might actually be a huge part of your legacy as a writer, most sources claim there wasn't anything on him.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    High praise indeed. I just hope you live long enough to get through to the Lennox Lewis volume.

4. amhlilhaus

Mar 24, 2005
    I would think by the time he gets to the modern heavyweights that the game has changed so much, his writing style might not be in line with the times. what fascinates about the sullivan book is that they were still coming off the bareknuckle era, and only guys with serious reputations seem to have fought the more well known guys like sully (except for on his tour) and the only reason his tour opponents were recorded was because of his immense popularity. nowadays a fighter fights dozens of nondescript opponents to build their skills and confidence and there probably isn't any written account of those fights except a static may 3 1989 lennox lewis ko 3 joe schmoe.

5. amhlilhaus

Mar 24, 2005
    hey adam, not to divulge too much information but did you come across the story that fitzsimmons loaded his wraps with plaster to fight jeffries the second time? it's one of those great things you've heard but in the back of your mind you wonder who heard it, when etc?

6. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    It wilil be addressed in the Jeffries volume. Sit tight.

7. Bad_Intentions

Bad_Intentions Boxing Addict Full Member

May 15, 2007
    adam, how's the jeffries book going?

8. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    Finishing off Fitzsimmons right now. Got over 350 pages written already. Please post how you folks feel about my Corbett book (if and when you read it - which will take awhile - it's long).

9. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    did you add the pictures i sent ya of fitzsimmons?

10. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    Haven't gotten to that yet. I do photos towards the end, after all the text has been written.

11. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    no problem :good

12. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Mine arrived a couple of days ago. If it reads as good as it looks, should be in for a treat.

13. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007
    hardcover?

14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007

Nope, the other kind.

15. Bad_Intentions

May 15, 2007