Only Primo Carnera could stop a young Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 7, 2018.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Think about it, he had the height and reach, was much bigger, had great strength and a long, stiff jab and good movement and Tyson would be right there to be hit with that uppercut that sparked out Jack Sharkey.

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    So you really believe that none of the above is valid?

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    That's about the size of it.
    I think it's possible Carnera loses a decision ,that's as far as I can go with him.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  5. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    this is by far the dumbest thread I've ever seen

Seamus likes this.
  6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

Sep 21, 2017
    If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!!!

7. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    So wait, this is universally hated, but Butterbean beating Joe Louis isn't? Nor Carnera beating Marciano?

8. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Lol now this is a major reach.

9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Universally? You are basing this on just two chastising posts? It's a **** thread for sure but has nothing to do with Butterbean.

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Big people beating small people. That's my point

If someone people can say that butterbean beats Louis and Carnera beats Marciano, who's basically an equivalent puncher to Tyson, then shouldn't some people be saying "lol Tyson is too small for Carnera" or something?

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Firstly i have a lot of respect for Marciano as a puncher but i don't think he's "basically an equivalent puncher to Tyson". To cut a long story short Marciano basically hits as hard as possible for a man of his size and Tyson is in the same bracket which puts Tyson above.

Your examples are polar opposites - a modern guy (Tyson) being favored over an old timer (Carnera) vs wanting/thinking an old timer (Louis) should be favored over a modern (Butterbean) via what you term the same criteria.

Now i agree it's slightly absurd picking Bean over Louis but some don't think that heavyweight era conquers time. Some also see Louis on the floor and get excited for the chances of the Bean.

Basically nobody is going to pick Carnera over Tyson except Jacko (undoubtably) and maybe Janitor.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Just stop already

he grant likes this.
  13. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    I completely disagree. Marciano hit the point of diminishing returns for size, and honestly, I think he hits harder than Tyson. Btw Tyson didn't hit as hard as guys like Shavers, Morrison and Foreman, who weighed the same amount. That being said, I barely rank Tyson higher as a puncher (3rd vs Marciano 4th), due to his accuracy and handspeed vs Marciano's stamina and raw power.

The technicians of the 20s-50s are better than the ones of the 80s-now honestly. So I dunno how you got the advancement argument.

14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Diminishing returns certainly don't start upward of 185. Not a chance. I will grant Marciano almost definitely puncher above his poundage grade but he's at a distinct disadvantage against a guy weighing 220 odd with dynamite fast twitch and explosiveness.

Tyson was certainly in the realm of those guys. He's become underrated as a pure puncher imo.

If you rank Tyson barely above Marciano with zero P4P factors you won't find too many in agreement around here and this is coming from someone that believes Marciano's raw power might now be somewhat underrated.

What advancement are you stating i myself proclaimed???????????

15. viperzero

viperzero Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I suppose Carnera could sit on him.