Post- Prison- Tyson vs. 77- Ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Luigi1985, Sep 19, 2007.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Tyson was considered a huge puncher in his era. I find it difficult to fathom anyone hitting harder than him "by a significant amount. You mention Butler and Williams but what about the myriads of fighters Tyson sparked that had proven durability?

2. Cojimar 1945

Cojimar 1945 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Athletes seem to be getting better and better as time passes. Tyson might look impressive compared to fighters from earlier eras but as more time passes I suspect we may see more heavyweights that surpass him in physical ability.

Without actually measuring the force of punches it is hard to know who hits hardest.

3. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I have Ali at #1 spot alltime, both achievement-wise and head-to-head.

From 1964-1967, I thinke he was peak and nearly unbeatable. He lost a lot from 67 -70, and was merely great when he came back (1970-1975). Still good enough to take a series with Frazier and to recapture the title from Foreman.

After Manilla, he was more ordinary, nowhere near what he had been. The 1977 Ali loses to a prime Holmes, Foreman, Frazier, Louis, Marciano, Lewis, Tyson and maybe others.

Did Tyson bring enough to the ring after prison to handle that version of Ali?

IMO, probably.

4. anut

anut Boxing Addict banned

Apr 4, 2007
    ali would beat tyson.............tyson looked horrid after prison...**** he got outboxed for 2 rds against buster mathis jr...........ali would win:smoke:smoke:smoke

5. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    He got outboxed for 2 rounds before brutally stopping Mathis.

Its called Ring Rust.

6. Langford

Langford Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I would go with Tyson UD.

7. radianttwilight

radianttwilight Well-Known Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
    Is this even a debate?

Tyson wasn't THAT bad post-prison. He still beat everyone he fought except for Holyfield and Lewis, both ATGs (we won't count the Williams/McBride fights, Ali had that too with Berbick). He was a shell of his former self, sure, but he was still dangerous as hell and kept putting contenders to sleep.

On the other hand, 1977 Ali was shot. Totally shot. We might as well compare McBride Tyson to this Ali - there's no comparison, he was utterly done by 1977.

8. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I dont see why people are picking Ali over Tyson in this regard?? Whats next?? Is the Ali that fought Holmes going to beat Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey on the same night. Tyson yes pass his best, STILL had a lot of talent, his bout with the Real Deal was a classic. Yes he lost, but it was pretty fun.

Ali was at the end of the round in 77, and wont be long until he loses to a 6-0-1 fighter.

9. Griip

Griip President of TFE Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Tyson by KO, it's a fact if you ask me. Source? Thrilla in Manilla. Imagine what Tyson would do that night. Better upper body and head movement than Frazier and alot faster punches.

10. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    no man, i'm a big tyson fan but even that ali would have beaten tyson. look at what ali did to frazier in that fight! look how much punishment he absorbed and how many punches he dished out. tyson isn't a bully but he won't have a strategical answer to that kind of output from ali. ali will absorb tyson's best shots and come right back. '77 ali was shot to **** so i'll pick tyson in a scenario that has no bearing on greatness or prime for prime.

for the most part, frazier was also a better fighter than tyson even if he was less talented and not as versatile. frazier would have ko'd buster douglas - guaranteed! he'd have beaten holyfield and be a game undergod against the big, monster punching lewis.

11. Jbuz

Jbuz Belt folder Full Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Tyson, possibly by stoppage.

12. Griip

Griip President of TFE Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    no man, I'm a huge Ali fan but Tyson would beat Ali any day

13. arther1045

arther1045 Member Full Member

Aug 29, 2007

I never understand why people say these things when pitting Ali against Tyson. fact is Ali even at that age and he would have trained hard for this one had one of the best chins ever in boxing. While Tyson never finshied a fight when taking any really punishment in his entire career ehich eh would against a well trained Ali even at that stage of his career. Yet everytime these two are matched up someone comes up with the Ali would have trouble staying on his feet opinion. Don't get it when its so obviously the other way around.

14. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Ali in '77 was a shot fighter. At that point in his career his skills were severely diminished and he was beginning to exhibit signs of parkinsons or pugilistica dementia or both. If shavers had pressed the issue more and was'nt in awe of Ali he would have stopped him. Tyson would have too many weapons at his disposal for that version of Ali and would have stopped him midway through the fight. Ali's clinching and holding would prolong things for a little while but Tyson would eventually nail him with a 3 or 4 punch combo and end it. Ali at that point in his career had no power left and therefore would have no way to get Tyson's respect. I see this as similar to the Holmes-Tyson affair with a similar ending as well. It's no surprise that after the Shaver's fight, Teddy Brenner who was matchmaker in New York for Madison Square Garden at the time said after the fight that he would no longer promote another Ali fight in MSG for Ali's sake, that's how bad he looked. Tyson would have done a number on that version of Ali.

15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    not with 1977 version. that version was shot imo. agreed, ali had a great chin and a fighter's heart so tyson would have his work cut out for him. ali couldn't dish out like he used too. not enough to put down tyson. if you don't consider chin + mental strength, but chin alone, ali and tyson were close. tyson's chin never failed him. and you don't think he took punishment against ruddock? ruddock was not 1% the fighter ali was but he was a deadly puncher who landed his best shots on tyson, shots that would have felled lesser men in brutal fashion but tyson made them look ok.