Post Your Pic/Talk About Anything Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I'm in Chicago too! :good

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The Windy City.Is it "Your kind of town"?
    I want to see Greenwich Village ,go in a couple of jazz joints, MSG,maybe Yankee Stadium,Empire State ,"The Lady In the Harbour",the Brooklyn Bridge,Times Sq,maybe see a show on Broadway,a couple of boxing bars..go on the ferry etc.
    Then maybe I'll come and see the stockyards etc the year after?

3. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Spend many a night there talking boxing, when you go there talk to Jimmy very cool guy. I haven't there in a long time. Last I heard was Jimmy was in the hospital after an accident with a taxi. It's a great place to talk boxing.

4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Welcome to New York when you get here, Mac:good. I like Jimmy's and used to go there from time to time. Kevin pretty much summed it up. Thanks Kevin:good. The owner is a former boxer himself and loves to talk boxing as well. I haven't seen him in many years and hope he's doing well. It's just off Times Square, which has been cleaned up for years and is a little too sterile for me as I'd prefer the grittier, edgier version (Times Square I mean,lol). Give us a shout and I'll meet up with you for a few pints.

5. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    The Blue Note is a well known jazz bar in Greenwich Village that has some fantastic acts. I was there a few months ago and was fortunate enough to see the great bassist Stanley Clarke. They also offer a nice live jazz brunch on Sunday's approximately noon. The Village Vanguard is a great spot too.

6. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    I hope he's well.

7. Clinton

Jan 22, 2009
    Chicago is a very nice city. The wife and I are going there in November to see Ireland beat the All Blacks for the 1st time in the NFL's Chicago Bears Soldier Field.

8. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    It's a cool place. Kind of a mini-museum. It's the sort of bar you'd want to spend a weekday afternoon at.

9. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Jimmys corner is great

I went there the weekend of Klitschko vs Jennings and for a wrestlemania event

Very cheap for the city, first round was 16 for 2 beers and 2 shots

Love the memorabilia and always good people

met a nephew of chuck wepner there and talked boxing with him

a little tight if you cant get a bar seat is the only draw back

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    New York is a fun place to visit and you'll have a good time. we'll be waiting for you in Chicago when you get around to coming :)

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanks to all for your responses:good

12. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Mrkoolkevin sums it up best Mcvey. I've been to Jimmy's many times and it's always best before a fight at madison square garden or now the Barclay center in Brooklyn. No frills, tight space with decent boxing memorabilia along the walls. Although the best boxing memorabilia was the LIC crabhouse for my money which sadly closed last year.
    Jimmy's is great because it is in the heart of Times Square so you can literally check off a lot of sight seeing and jump in to a throwback bar instead of a tourist trap.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Looking forward to it.:good

14. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, you could also go to Jack Dempsey's for a big fight. I saw Teddy Atlas there once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Really? It closed in 1974 when Atlas was 18 years old.

You were 4 in 1974,according to your personal information .:think