Premature coronation: might it be that *none* of the lightweight "four kings" end up HOF worthy?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 28, 2021.

Who could still become great?

1. Teófimo Andrés "El Brooklynero/The Takeover" López Jr.

34.1%
  2. Devin Miles "The Dream" Haney

42.7%
  3. Gervontaa Brown "Tank" Davis

54.9%
  4. Ryan "The Flash/King" García

28.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Hagler lost to Bobby Watts and Willie Monroe, Duran lost to Esteban de Jesus, Hearns lost to Barkley. All of them can become great HOFs if they fight and win titles. If Lopez manages to overcome Taylor somehow, that's it, he's a HOFer, no more needs to be done.

Obviously they're nowhere near the real four kings at this point, but they could be, with the right dedication and courage.

Pepsi Dioxide likes this.
  2. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Has Tank fought a top five fighter at 135 yet? Last time I checked he was still on the bum train, pulling up smaller guys, older guys and jumping weights to fight no hopers and obscure the fact that he is afraid to fight real opposition AT HIS OWN WEIGHT.

I have no idea how good or bad Tank is these days because anyone can look good against his opposition. Why is he afraid to fight top guys at his own weight? Is Floyd afraid his chubby little protege will be exposed?

Each guy in the group has flaws but they all have some impressive strengths. At least Teo has faced top opposition. He lost yesterday but is still you g. His biggest problem is the weight. Same is true of Haney, they are both getting too big to make 135 comfortably and they are not good enough to beat top guys at their natural weight. Tank can’t even fight top guys at 135 because he’s a natural 130 pounder who can’t make the weight. No way they are feeding his pudgy ass to a top 140 pounder, EVER. Garcia is still young and appears to have some mental problems. He also gets hit too much and is still raw. He’s athletic and has a good frame but I have no idea how he will look after this lengthy layoff.

I’d love to see a tournament with all of these guys in it. The chances of this happening are not good. Sadly, there is a better chance none of these guys will ever fight any of the others.

Quina74 likes this.
  3. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Is it a commitment or lack of fundamentals that force him to rely on power because he gets outboxed by pretty much every opponent? He’s able to do this because he fights a lot of no hopers. Why is Davis allowed to avoid all top opposition at his own weight? He’s messing around at 140 but everyone knows he has zero chance of being competitive against top guys at 140. He hasn’t even faced the top guys at 135.

Quina74 and Aussie Invader like this.
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Well, couple of things about those Hagler defeats: they were both within three years of his pro debut while still on his way to world title contention, and he avenged both. So, if Teófimo had losses to some decent but not elite fringe contenders that were a) before 2019 and/or b) avenged, then it would be comparable. He is already in the championship mix and has already faced a p4p ranked opponent in Lomachenko, so humbling defeats at this stage, particularly entering as the heavy favorite and getting dropped and decisively beaten, are harder to rebuild from.

Some people believe de Jesús belongs in the IBHOF, and The Blade was too big for Hearns. There's context for all. Of course, GKJ could move on to have a wonderful career making this hiccup for Teó less ignominious than any of the ones you mentioned - but as it stands right now, it takes most of the wind from the sails of him and his cohort being four pillars of greatness that can even halfway fill up the middleweights' footprints.

5. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Teo was exposed for letting an opponent get into his head. Fought off of emotion for the first 5 rounds and once he realized he was not going to go through Kambosos, it as too late. Kambosos had more left in the tank going into the second part of the fight and Teo was fighting a dumb fight. Did not set up his offense with the jab, not enough body work, head movement was absent. He deserved to lose. GK out fought and out started Teo. If Teo plans on moving up to 140 to lock horns with Taylor, he needs to be exponentially better than he was last night, and even then, he has his work cut out for him.

ShovelHook and IntentionalButt like this.
  6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I can't envision him beating Josh at 140, and honestly don't see him beating Kambo in a rematch at 135 either.

Braindamage likes this.
  7. TheVet

TheVet Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Ryan Garcia has no business being in that list. Aleast the others have or had a world championship belt Remove Ryan and put Shakur

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Don't tell me what to do! :rosstheboss

This content is protected

I'm not the one that affixed this exact group with the "four kings" label; the boxing media did ...and I've pretty much never thought it fit them (any of them), as explained in this very thread.

Also - swap out a #2 world ranked contender and interim champ in the division for ...Shakur, who is yet to ever debut there? :thinking:

9. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I agree with the Taylor fight. I think he can stop Kambosos in the rematch. He just needs to fight a more reserved fight. The López that fought Loma, would have beaten Kambosos. Teo never allowed GK to lead, even though he is a good counter puncher. Never tried to set up his offense and pretty much abandoned defense. These are attributes we've seen Teo use with great success in the past.

10. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I wasn't necessarily fond of the "The New Four Kings" label to describe these guys, since it's better suited to the gang at super-fly...But it's an interesting topic and warrants some consideration.

So...

Let's see...

Lopez has two wins over Commey and Lomachenko to unify lightweight, and that's a pretty big accomplishment. He was competitive enough in the loss to GKM that it wouldn't hurt him too badly in the long term if he accomplishes anything further. If he does so, he's still in track for HOF consideration.

Haney survived a couple of rough moments late, but did manage to outbox Linares for much of the fight to that point. Tough to do. That said, it's his one really significant win over a top guy. He does have a fight coming up with a legit guy in Jojo Diaz, so that will bolster his resume if he wins. He's got a ways to go, but the step up in competition is a good sign.

Garcia really only entered the upper echelon of lightweight rankings in January, against a solid but unspectacular Luke Campbell. Way too early to say anything for sure, especially given his inactivity since then.

As for Davis...Let me think...

The Pedraza win was excellent way to introduce yourself on the world stage, and following up by whacking an undefeated mandatory in the latter's backyard was a nice follow-up. Was kind of impressed by the manner in which he blasted out Cientifico Nunez (who I consider to be a little underrated). Had flat performances against Fonseca and Gamboa, but do like the wins over-and performances against- LSC and Barrios. A win over an ascendant and aggressive Pitbull Cruz would add nicely to his resume, I think. So, in general, he's created a decent foundation for a HOF case, but unless he builds upon it with a couple of top tier wins, I don't see him gaining entry.

TL-DR...

Not one's there yet. Too early to write any of these guys off completely, though.

Braindamage and IntentionalButt like this.
  11. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    They don’t call them the Four Queens for nothin’.

12. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    They gotta fight each other

What looked exciting at the end of 2020 is cooling off

Teo lost

Garcia keeps backing out of fights

Davis has been bouncing weight classes

Haney has called out teo and garcia unsuccessfully

A threat to the 4? Loma hasnt gone away yet does he spoil one of the other 3 or avenge the loss. Does jojo beat Haney? What happens when shakur eventually comes up?

The 4 kings might be over before it starts ? Not that they cant be great but the prospect of them all fighting in big 135 fights may not happen

Could see teo go to 140

Could see Garcia retire to do something lucrative that doesnt involve fighting

Do loma or kambosos knock off someone else?

13. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    And some people thought I was crazy when I started touting Kingry as the best of the four. :rolleyes: But still.... the best of four overrated hype jobs. But still might end up being the last man standing of the four.

When are people going to finally realize and start actually listening to us?

When it comes to comprehending this sport, processing what we're seeing and understanding the level most fighters are operating on, long before they've officially proven it.

We know our ****.:deal:

IntentionalButt likes this.
  14. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    it depends on how they navigate their career. you got to keep the hype growing while not over reaching without the payoff.
    if i was to pick 2 careers out of those around 135 to work with and guide, it would probably be shakur and garcia. i think they have the most potential with the right path.
    garcia is legit big, and very fast for that size. with stunning power. he has a lot to work with going forward.
    stevenson seems more complete technically and mentally than the rest. will be more reliable under stress.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  15. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    At this point in time they all have a very long way to go. They need to fight each other or move up and fight top tier opponents. It's become ludicrous watching them fight B level fighters- yes Kambosos was a big underdog as he wasn't considered to be at Lopezs level. That is what made his win that much more special.