Premature coronation: might it be that *none* of the lightweight "four kings" end up HOF worthy?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 28, 2021.

Who could still become great?

1. Teófimo Andrés "El Brooklynero/The Takeover" López Jr.

35.4%
  2. Devin Miles "The Dream" Haney

37.5%
  3. Gervontaa Brown "Tank" Davis

60.4%
  4. Ryan "The Flash/King" García

31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    i do NOW,
    I Voted!

IntentionalButt likes this.
  2. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Just not seeing Davis as a great fighter. Especially after the Cruz fight. I yhink he's highly protected and terribly overrated. I think Haney and Teo both beat him. Maybe Garcia too but thats a closer fight.

Jackman65 likes this.
  3. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    You think?

The mere advent of a new era is not a guarantee that it will yield fighters of comparable quality to past eras. Competitive division does not mean greats will emerge.

People are just really wanting to be excited about some fighters who aren't over 30. I get it, but none of these guys has ever looked like future ATG material — theirs is a squabble of B fighters.

4. Quina74

Quina74 Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Tank bullies on smaller guys (or gets bullied by them as we saw with Cruz) , Tyson bullied bigger guys which is significantly more impressive

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 3:35 AM
    Jackman65 likes this.
  5. boxingforum24

boxingforum24 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2013
    None of the above. As others have stated, they are not worthy of the four kings moniker.

6. JOKER

JOKER I rock the llama's ass. Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
  7. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    STFU.

8. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    That time off seems to have done Garcia the world of good and he's actually started talking sense

''The lightweight contender still believes former unified lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko is the top threat in the division, putting him over the likes of WBC titleholder Devin Haney, Twink Davis, Teofimo Lopez, and the recently crowned WBA/IBF/WBO champion George Kambosos.

Garcia, 23, slotted Kambosos into the No. 2 spot on his homemade list, followed by Haney and Twink at either No. 3 or No 4.

“Loma No. Close between Devin and Twink. Then you got George, who fought well. Loma No. 1. Then I would say Kambosos No. 2 and Devin and [Twink] a toss-up. They both had pretty mediocre performances.”

Garcia (21-0, 18 KOs) said he would eagerly welcome a fight with Lomachenko (16-2, 11 KOs). The social media influencer from Victorville, California was especially impressed by Lomachenko’s dominant decision over Commey.

“I think that’s a huge fight, me versus Lomachenko. But I would love to fight Lomachenko as well,” Garcia said. “I think he’s a great fighter and I think he fought masterfully. He looked great.

“Lomachenko just fights so pure with his movement and he doesn’t waste any energy. He flows and he has the footwork, his body positioning. He fought amazing, but he should have knocked [Commey] out.”

Garcia was also impressed with Kambosos (20-0, 10 KOs), who scored one of the biggest upsets of the 2021 with his decision over Lopez at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in November.

“Stars aligned for Kambosos,” Garcia said. “I don’t know if Kambosos is going to go after another top fighter but if he does I personally don’t think he’s going to hold onto the belts. Maybe he will. He surprised me once.”

On the other hand, Garcia was not blown away by either Twink’s or Haney’s recent performances. Haney (27-0, 15 KOs.) and Twink (26-0, 24 KOs) are both coming off unanimous decisions, the former against Joseph Davis and the latter against Isaac Cruz.

He just doesn’t know how to handle himself when he gets hit,” Garcia said of Haney. If that makes sense. He gets flustered easily when he gets hit with a good one and he starts doing random things that I see I could capitalize on in the ring.”

Of Twink, Garcia believes he gave “too much respect [to Cruz] in the opening rounds.”

Not to mention Loma was fighting a murderous punching giant 154lb 135 pounder who was way heavier 2-3 divisions, longer (5.5'' reach advantage) and more powerful than him (KO82% amassed at lightweight and who was actually a world champion at 135 and was higher ranked than both the leprechauns Twinnk and Haney fought.

Whereas, conversely, the massive 155lb if not more Haney was fighting a blown up 126-130 pounder featherfist (2 KOs in his last 13 fights) in Jojo who he was way bigger, heavier, and longer than (7'' reach advantage), was never a champion at 135, who despite not being able to punch holes in carboard rocked him numerous times and even hurt him a bit and octopus grab him to prevent him from cracking that glass even more, arguably lost his only fight at the weight against Fortuna who Loma victim, who Loma toyed with and stopped like he was nothing, Jason Sosa KO'd, and Jojo lost to Loma victim GRJ who, again, Loma toyed with like he was nothing despite the fact he's an excellent fighter :facepalm:

And Twink was badly exposed by an oompa loomp who he had a 3.5'' reach advantage over, had only stopped one of his previous five opponents, had never held a belt, and who he had to octopus grab, stiff-arm and foul all night to scrape by by a single point on two the PBC judge's scorecards and should've and would've lost with a fair ref and judges.

Four kings my dog's ass :facepalm:

JOKER likes this.
  9. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    Cruz popped Gayvis' cherry.

Serge likes this.
  10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    His cherry got popped even though he was swimming in the shallows and they've keeping him away from the deep waters and sharks for years

11. Pimp C

Pimp C Free The Guys! F 12 & Goofies Stay Dangerous! Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    How? He lost the fight.

12. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    They have one thing on their side......youth. If they keep the mind set to keep learning, stay focused and hungry, they all can become HOF'ers.

13. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    Duckvonta got a gift. Cruz landed the harder shots, had him running and clinching for dear life. Was hurt to the body multiple times. Most of the shots Duckvonta threw were deflected or landed partially.

That's why Duckvonta said "hell no!" when asked about a rematch after.

14. Pimp C

Pimp C Free The Guys! F 12 & Goofies Stay Dangerous! Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Stop! You have a clear agenda and everyone already knows what that is. Davis won a close fight he was doing well in until he hurt his hand and he stopped using it. Davis was not hurt in that fight other than his hand, you see what you want to see. You acting like Davis got beat up and outboxed like Pac did against Ugas it was far from that.

15. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    The only one who could still be hof worthy without a serious change in their approach to the sport is... teofimo Lopez.

Great fighters fight the tough fights. He's the one who is daring to try to be great. He's not ducking a fight when the circumstances aren't absolutely perfect.

Plus, from a resume perspective, teo is one win away from the hall of Fame. Granted, that win is to move up and upset josh Taylor, which is a tall order