Premature coronation: might it be that *none* of the lightweight "four kings" end up HOF worthy?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Nov 28, 2021.

Who could still become great?

1. Teófimo Andrés "El Brooklynero/The Takeover" López Jr.

35.4%
  2. Devin Miles "The Dream" Haney

37.5%
  3. Gervontaa Brown "Tank" Davis

60.4%
  4. Ryan "The Flash/King" García

31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Ryan crybaby Garcia if he gets the balls to fight he will get chinned.

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    God you can be one annoying chud sometimes. :lol:

I can tell by the lack of acknowledgment of my reply that you were really being petty and salty about me clapping you in your thread. But you are in the wrong, pally boy.

This current iteration of "lightweight four kings" is something that has pervaded in the boxing media for a couple of years now and been shoved our throats, a narrative the debunking of which kind of was my very thesis statement here. There has never yet historially been a group of boxers entrenched as the lightweight four kings by the media, so the amount of specifity in my title is plenty to provide necessary context for comprehension. In yours, the group of González, Estrada, Rungvisai and Cuadras have never gone by that. You just made it up. You're tryna make "fetch" happen; it's not gonna happen. :sisi1

Inoue, being a generational talent, gets put in historical fantasy h2h match-ups often...so it would be a reasonable assumption when asking which of an unqualified "Fab Four" in his weight range would beat him, that you meant MAB/Morales/Pac/JMM. Since that foursome has been given that name (not as closely associated with it as the 1980's middleweights aka the "Four Kings", obviously...but there are plenty of references to them as the Fab Four of the Aughts, or of featherweight). You're disrespecting those guys by letting those inferior newbies stake claim to a name that is already spoken for.

My degree specificity = sufficient for instantaneous reader comprehension, strong written communication skills, A+.
    Yours = nah. Weak sauce. F.

So get to stepping with your little petty false ass equivalency snipes. :deal:

3. JOKER

JOKER I rock the llama's ass. Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Bruh. I was just having some fun with you. I wasn't salty about your invasion of my post, but humored you and changed the title. And no one else was confused by the label and discussed the thread just fine.

I haven't even read your opening post in this thread.

I literally just finished Dexter Season 6 while working and am utterly flummoxed and angry about the absolutely ridiculous sister-brother love subplot.

Basically, it was a combination of forgetting to respond to you combined with not caring enough to.

And yeah, my naming those super flies as the 4 Kings (as they are obvious the main players of the division where every matchup is a panty-soaking affair) was my own doing not influenced by the historical naming of an elite group.

CHILL, Bruh.

That you imagined my post was some sort of get back is just — well, that's something you've got to sort out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 3:34 PM
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006

JOKER likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman America Always Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    I dont like to prematurely coronate fighters. They must prove greatness in the ring. We saw that with Loma, it has been nauseating for me to hear all this Loma love the past few years. If y'all wanna crown his ass, then crown his ass after he beats a Josh Taylor or something. Jorge Linares ain't gonna cut it for personally.

After Lopez beat Loma I was ecstatic and trolled the forum. Then when Kambosas beat Lopez and Lomas stock took a further dive.

It is my belief that HOF and ATG status should not be handed out willy nilly. You want to call Usyk, Kovalev, Ward, Estrada, etc. HOFers? Have at it. Cuz they earned it with sweat equity.

These "4 kings" haven't earned the distinction as a great.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Its now been a handful of times I've heard posters try and sully Hagler's legacy. By pointing out his back to back losses against domestic Middleweights. The mans resume and career is beyond reproach.

1. That was a young pre-prime Hagler who was learning on the job and still learning his craft.

2. He avenged those losses via Knockout.

3. He fought basically every top level contender of his era.

4. He put a 100% primed out Tommy Hearns (a better version of Hearns than the one Leonard beat) flat on his back.

Have a nice day, Tinny destroys.

7. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    We four kings of orient are
    not that good, lucky to make par

8. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Lomachenko>Kovalev

Both legacy and ability wise.

9. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    I have Kovalev beating Ward. So this is hard no from me. But I will not continue this debate and derail this thread. Agree to disagree.

Want to shift it back towards the 4 fighters the OP was talking about. Only brought up Kovalev in the first place to illustrate what it takes for a modern fighter to become HOF.

10. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    Regarding the poll question, I like Devin Haney to go farthest and think he’ll have a HOF worthy career.

I had a lot of hopes for Garcia, but with his inactivity, him ducking Haney and stories about him bursting into tears, I’m losing faith.

When you start getting sympathy points as a young man in 20s for crying for no reason, you ain’t getting anywhere.

11. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Machismo for the win :ibutt

theanatolian likes this.
  12. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    To be fair, I’d say the same if I heard similar stories about Katie Taylor or Claressa Shields too.

13. HUEwarrior

HUEwarrior New Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Teofimo Lopez - Great future, BUT... The fact is after his win against Lomachenko, he became inactive for too long, partied too hard and this destroyed his position as a lightweight. Teofimo has always been a huge lightweight, his months of party probably made it even harder to make weight on this division. If he moves up and recover his focus on boxing, he will for sure be one of the greats.
    The problem, of course, is that he don't seem to have good decision making. Probably will focus on making a rematch against Lomachenko for a lot of money, lose again and give up on his career.

Ryan Garcia - Lost completely his will to fight. May a trend down on the income from social media make him realize boxing is a huge source of income for him if he works it hard. He's probably a ppv star by that point. Make 2 or 3 more fights and go for the belts. Has a chance, but I don't know if he has the will to do it.

Gervonta Davis - Probably the one with best chances. Focused. Good manager. But realistically would need to stay at superfeather to be a legend. Lightweight is already too big for him. At superfeather, he can make some great fights against Valdez, Shakur Stevenson and Berchelt. If he wins, he's a legendary fighter.

Devin Haney - Too boring. Has good management, but depends too much on the judges scorecards (Read it - be the A side on the fight). If he gets into a fight against someone who can explore his problems and has the judges sympathy, it's over. Can ended up with a great career, though.