Prime Iron Mike Tyson against the 1960's heavyweights how would Mike have fared?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    1st, it's not about me, it's about the site and your opnion on a particular subject . 2and I'm not entitled to anything, but do respect your opinions. 3rd, stop having such an over inflated ego , its really not that serious.

2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    He reminds me of a shooting star, it goes up, then comes down. I agree with your assumption of Mike, I feel the same way too about him. he was great, but he faltered.

George Crowcroft and choklab like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I do not want to belittle the man, but it is well documented, he did have mental issues, which he could not help. It can happen to anyone, and with treatment, the victims of this get better with time. None the less, a great talented fighter.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    do the other heavies get to be prime too or is it just tyson gets to be prime?

5. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah but when he faltered, he was still among the best in the world. People don’t recognise that. Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and probably even Jack Dempsey all had these periods where they lived right, Fought often, were great to start with and were then able to produce periods where they just looked (and probably were) as close to unbeatable as anyone ever got. Beating enough good guys regularly made them achieve something better. Anything just below that is not as good, but it’s still great. It was probably just the reduction of regular fights and keeping busy. And that can never be achieved at championship level for that long.

If you look at all of them, that period where Louis was awaiting the draft, that period where Ali took the title on tour before he was stripped, Tyson when he was unifying and Dempsey where he was knocking out Willard’s contenders... these were all unusual circumstances.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    At whatever age they were at during the 60`s.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Nah, i understand the question alright mate, just being a bit mischievous. Im forever hearing about this mythical creature called Prime Tyson who farted thunder and **** lightening yet i never ever hear anybody else being referred to or having the prefix, a helluva lot more often than not as tyson does, of prime. It just seems somewhat unfair he always gets to be prime ya know

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Very good post.

9. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    I always use prime on all my post for everybody.

10. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Did you not already post your opinion in this thread? Why post the same tripe again? You post more than I do on your hateful Tyson threads. Tyson more than anyone would conceivably beat Liston, Ali and Frazier. I don't see anyone else turning the trick. Not even Joe Louis. But the Tyson we're talking about could beat them all.

(Waits for the ever faithful Unforgiven's butt hurt reply...)

moneytheman12 likes this.
  11. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Maybe your behind is in pain, but that has nothing to do with boxing. Douglas took care of him already, need I say more.

12. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Tyson was awful v Douglas, I hate when people can`t tell that wasn`t the real Tyson, tons of heavyweights could have beat Mike that night, I don`t get it.

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    There is such a thing as steroid burn-out. Even when you stack them, steroids can only have you at top performance for a limited time. Like most other drugs, the body develops a tolerance (not to mention the pretty ugly side effects).

It's quite possible it wasn't just the lifestyle Mike was leading that ended in his downfall (the Buster ko)...though by 1990 it can be ascertained drugs were a regular part of that lifestyle (ask Mike).

Do I think Mike would have lasted longer as a hyper-potent mega-monstering bully if he hadn't been on drugs? No, I don't think Mike would have reached that inhuman peak of savagery without them. Whether 'roided or no, Mike's rage is obvious during the Frazier ko, the look on his face before and after...

Mike has already admitted to steroid/drug abuse so I know I'm not just pitching in the dark here.

14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No Tyson`s moves were very good, he had an excellent team in D`Amato and Rooney, all this steroid crap and athleticism is less important than fundamentals, it wasn`t just Tyson`s strength it was his skill.

15. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    You know he was awful that night, Douglas had the perfect strategy, but again it appeared as though his heart was not into it, the better man won the title that night. But Buster was not into it in his next fight, against Holyfield. I believe that Mike at his best would have defeated everyone, except Prime Ali,Foreman, and Liston. He would have walked over the rest. Mark, I really enjoy your post and respect your opinions.