Prime Michael Spinks vs Evander Holyfield @ HW

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tommygun711, Apr 4, 2016.

1. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Take the best versions of both men.. Spinks of Holmes I 85', and Holyfield 91'. Who wins and how?

2. clark

clark Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Holyfield is too much for him and Spinks gets stopped.

Arminius1 and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. Hookie

Hookie Affeldt... Referee, Judge, and Timekeeper Full Member

Dec 19, 2009
    The are both 6'2 1/2", Holyfield has a longer reach by 1 1/2" (77 1/2"), Holyfield is 8-10 Lbs. heavier (Foreman and Cooper fights).

Holyfield is the stronger man, Holyfield punches harder, both are quick and have good footwork, Holyfield is more durable.

I'll take Holyfield by late round KO. I think it's a good fight but Holyfield would be able to take Spinks punches well and land some fight changing punches in return. Spinks would try to outspeed Holyfield and stick and move but Holyfield would surprise Spinks with his speed and footwork and ability to catch him if he tried to run.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  4. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Holyfield by detonation

5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Sometimes think Spinks is very underrated due to the Tyson blowout.

I mean Spinks twice beat Holmes on points, a better version than the one Holyfield beat at that.

I do think Holy stops him late on but I bet he makes a proper hard job doing it.

Spinks is no pushover.

Twisted_Metal and Bonecrusher like this.
  6. Addie

Addie Myung Woo Yuh! Full Member

Jun 14, 2006
    We're taking the best possible version of Evander Holyfield and pitting himself against the best possible Heavyweight version of Michael Spinks, who was obviously at his best at 175lbs. That's where he got most of his work done.

As it is, it's difficult to make a case for Michael here. Holyfield holds all of the physical advantages -- bigger, faster, stronger and more durable. You'd see some incredibly competitive exchanges though with Holyfield being as insolent as he was. Even the most basic of fighters like Bert Cooper and '91 George Foreman, slow and lumbering, didn't find The Real Deal to be all that elusive. A very entertaining and action-orientated fight before Holyfield's strength would begin to tell, weathering Spinks' best before grinding him down late in the fight.

7. DrMo

DrMo Team GB Full Member

Jan 29, 2011
    HW Spinks vs CW Holy is a better fight

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Like the most of you I feel that Holy was just too strong and powerful. That's really the separating factor here. Both were fast, skillful, smart and brave, but Spinks didn't have stopping power against someone like Holyfield. Wouldn't be able to really discourage him. Evander would go looking for a tear up, find it eventually and quite possible stop Spinks.

9. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Holyfield crushes.

10. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Would be interesting if Spinks shows up at the weigh-in all 'roided up (like Holyfield)....and Evander ch!tes a brick.

11. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Welcome back:good. Long time no see.

12. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Agree with this post 100%. Nicely put:good

13. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Yeah, I see SPinks posing all kinds of problems for Evander. At the lighter weights I might even pick Spinks but at heavy I'll go with Holyfield by a tough decision.

robert ungurean likes this.
  14. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Spinks gets underrated. He beat an undefeated Holmes twice. I think he'd give Holyfield a decent fight.

Sangria likes this.
  15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005