Primo Carnera vs Deontay Wilder

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by baconmaker, Apr 23, 2017.

1. baconmaker

baconmaker Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Is Carnera too tough old school brawler that Wilder wouldn't see more than 2 rounds? Who wins?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Based on what Wilder has done to date, we would have to favour Carnera.

Just a much more proven fighter at world level.

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'll take Carnera too. He wasn't particularly special but he had size and heart and was better technically than people give him credit for. Definitely a cut above the rest of Wilder's resume in difficulty rating.

4. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    This content is protected

JoffJoff, GALVATRON, Pat M and 3 others like this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I think wilder beats primo. By vicious ko. Carnera isn't half as bad as some say but in this case I see a baer type beating.

Pat M, mrkoolkevin, mcvey and 2 others like this.
  6. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Gotta go with Carnera on this one. At least he was a proven world class competitor. Wilder is great at knocking out stiffs that anybody could KO, but other than Stiverne, who went the distance while sick, he has yet to fight anybody remotely decent.

7. joe brown

joe brown Keep it Simple Full Member

Jan 22, 2017
    never been to high on Carnera with the footage I've seen of him and since I don't have a great knowledge about him I've gotta go with wilder by ko or decision

8. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Wilder does NOT have a good chin - this is a guy that was sent to the canvas by carnival fatman Dustin Nichols and professional loser Harold Sconiers.

Oh, and his supposed "Power" is a joke too, the product of facing pathetic stiffs that anybody with a pulse could KO. Carnera destroys this fraud.

SHADAPBLAD and Sting like a bean like this.
  9. joe brown

joe brown Keep it Simple Full Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Agreed

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I assume that Wilder has serious durability issues, because I can't see any other reason why he would have been matched so timidly.

It would not be in his interests to send him into a title fight so unprepared if he had a decent chin.

I think that his power is genuine, and not an artefact of his opposition.

Even so my money would be on Carnera, and probably by KO.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    This is a tough one.

I can see Carnera's mobility and technique winning the fight.
    I can also see Wilder win with an overhand right.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  12. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I don't honestly know in this one.
    Carnera was probably better than given credit for, technically he looks pretty sound.
    For a huge guy he moved around the ring pretty well utilised a decent jab but left himself open when he threw it.
    Against the limited and right hand happy Max Baer he was bounced up and down off the canvas regularity but was stopped on his feet which he was against Joe Louis.
    The thing with Wilder you just can't gauge his level because they're simply not putting him in with anyone with a bit of a pulse, but like Baer he has a big right hand, but it is a wild shot. Also when he has a fighter in trouble Wilder tends to look like an amateur when trying to finish them off.
    Carnera's record suggests he was a big puncher but in reality I don't think he was, offensively his punches look a bit pitter patter, so
    power wise I don't really know how much of a threat he poses to the untested chin of Wilder.
    Really I haven't got a clue who takes this they're both mediocre, I tend to edge towards Wilder.

reznick likes this.
  13. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    This content is protected

14. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Carnera is far too slick. Wins some rounds while throwing fewer than zero punches.