Ray Leonard sparring

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Eastpaw, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Eastpaw

Eastpaw Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 12, 2015
    havent seen this video in a few years so I guess I'd share it with u guys. This is an absolute gem, Leonard had great footwork, great positioning(best in history), great punch selection, and great defense. Watch the whole thing.

Enjoy

2. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Fans nowadays be like, "Ew! He's just moving backward! He won't stand his ground! What's the jab to the body for? Look at him hold! He's not a real man or a real fighter, why doesn't he stand his ground and exchange?!"

Good stuff. Leonard was great.

3. Eastpaw

Apr 12, 2015
    I don't think fans these days have a he boxing iq to spot the subtle things that these classic fighters like Leonard do.

drenlou likes this.
  4. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Leonard was a bad dude! Thanks for the upload.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  5. bcr

bcr Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have this sparring session and i feel Leonard was going to easy on him and still you can see all the subtle things about his great style.
    I could kill for the sparring session of Jones vs Leonard (and it was recorded.)

6. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Reminds me of how there's a surprising amount of footage available of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr sparring from years back. Castillo, Hoya, Mosley.

A lot of stuff was filmed in Kronk gyms as well, I believe.

7. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    What a superstar Leonard was

pacas likes this.
  8. There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood #TheMedicalTeam #750 banned Full Member

Sep 6, 2016
    No comments on the Bruce Lee impersonation? Did you guys watch with the sound off?

Lol

pacas likes this.
  9. littletickle

littletickle New Member Full Member

May 21, 2014

10. TinFoilHat

TinFoilHat Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Cool video. I like seeing the sparring in this quiet environment. Makes it seem cooler. Seems surreal to see a great like leonard fight without 20,000 fans in the background cheering.

Eastpaw and kirk like this.
  11. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ray Leonard didn't look so hot the day he was sparring with a friend of mine from Dallas Tx Quincy Taylor,
    Quincy later became WBC Middleweight champ when he TKO'd Julian The Hawk Jackson. Well Quincy repeatedly caught Ray with shots, One stunning him almost dropping him. They called off that session immediately. They never sparred again. Ray is quoted as saying later that session prepared him for the Hagler fight , Hagler was robbed in that fight BTW

12. Eastpaw

Apr 12, 2015
    Eh, ray was never a middleweight

13. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Those poor sparring partners. Leonard just clowning them. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

14. bcr

bcr Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have read about it.
    Taylor was good but Jackson was done at the time they fought and at the end of the day, Sugar Ray Leonard remains as the 5 division world champion, hall of famer, all time great, olympic champion and arguably one of the top 10 boxers of all time.

15. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    People by and large DKSAB.