Rewatched Canelo - Kovalev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Levook, May 23, 2022.

1. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Andre Ward had already taken Kovalev’s soul.

2. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    For sure Kov-Canelo was fixed. Disgustingly so.

3. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Compare his performance vs Canelo vs his performance vs Cleverly. Its night and day.
    This content is protected

4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    He was schooling Canelo until he gassed

5. fitzroy boy_iron mike

fitzroy boy_iron mike Active Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Where were you when the fight actually happened. I got shouted out of this forum for suggesting it was fixed

6. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I was telling people for years that the Canelo hype was a complete charade. However it made his promoters, venues, drug cartels and Las Vegas some big big money so they allowed it to continue for as long as possible.

I did want Beterbiev to be the one to end the hype though. It would have been brutal and violent. Too bad Bivol got there first.

Quina74 likes this.
  7. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Canelo is so anti drug cartel he left Mexico and says he will never return. One of them kidnapped his brother for ransom. Regardless of your feelings about his career, be reasonable about the guy/

8. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I never said he had pro cartel affiliations.

The cartel(s) did love laundering money through Vegas when Canelo fought there. So many Mexican "business men" in one place at the same time going Lavida Loca :lol:

Quina74 and JunlongXiFan like this.
  9. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    No, Kovalev fights like that for years now throwing pitty-patty punches only. The same was against Eleider Alvarez and tervel Pulev. He never came close to orcking either of them in 29 rounds despite winning about 25 of them.

Plus, if he wanted to throw the fight, why would he do it by getting brutally knocked out to the head if he could have easily "open" his liver and pretend he couldn't take Canelo's punch there? It would make more sense health-wise

10. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    That is just patently false. I suspect you haven't compared these fights recently because that is not the case. Kovalev did not pitty pat, pull punches from rounds 1 to 11 in his fights against either of them fights or against Yarde. He put intent and snap throughout in those fights. Why was Kovalev demonstrating a more pronounced hesitation to punches against huge heavier hitting guys in Yarde/Eleider/Pulev (basically everyone before Canelo) than he did against Canelo (a guy who wasn't a knockout artist at 154 or 160 and a guy who was coming up two weight classes?)

The way he got knocked out does not in the slightest discount what was seen throughout the fight which was sparring. Also, he allowed himself to be hit by a guy who isn't a knockout artist and coming up two weight classes. Would you let yourself be knocked out by a much smaller guy for millions? I certainly would

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Levook, Reinhardt and heerko koois like this.
  11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I thought Kovalev acted like he was in the ring with Qawi instead of a short juiced up middleweight. I thought that fight smelled

Quina74, The Long Count and Levook like this.
  12. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    No, he didn't throw the fight.

He was boxing well. Fought smart.

But he gassed and it wasn't a big surprise. He had a tough fight two months before and basically no camp. He was drained from the weight cut too (there is a reason why he moved up to CW).

He was basically done in that fight. Physically.Only chance to win was using that jab like he did early on.

If you want to see a fixed fight watch Wilder vs. Scott.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    - Kovalev had a hard fight against Yarde where he almost go knocked out.
    - No time to recover between fights.
    - Hydration clause.

Kovalev was weakened to the max for the fight. He had no recovery time from this hard fight against Yarde before heading to a short camp. On top of no recovery time, he had a rehydration clause that further weaken him.

14. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I watched the fight with my brother he was screaming fix. In light of the Bivol scorecards and a lot of other strange anomalies surrounding Canelo, I’ll just say the fight is suspect. Kovalev didn’t try to sit down or land one hard punch entire fight. It was weird. The ko looks legit but something does smell.

Quina74 likes this.
  15. theXshape

theXshape Active Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2011

Let's be honest here. Back then, Kovalev had his legal problems and he probably got some help from GB to make things go away with their deep pockets, and that was the price to pay.