Rico/Badr II

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Anyone catch it? Awesome fight!

These guys seem to just mesh (although the first encounter was brief, it was going to be fireworks).

Hopefully Badr can stay injury-free for the trilogy match.

2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah Hari was doing really well and looked to have Rico on the ropes but got overzealous with those kicks. He should have just stuck to punching. Rico let bravado get the better of him and traded with Hari too much. When he popped the jab out and avoided brawling inside he was pretty much in complete control. Unfortunate end but not a surprising one.

Brixton Bomber and DanielDimov like this.
  3. deyell

deyell MOLECULE FROM HELL. Full Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Rico fought a stupid fight and almost lost. He should have played it safe in the early rounds like he always does, and go after Hari in round 4 or 5. He decided to trade with the Moroccan who is the bigger puncher which is dumb and got knocked down twice.

Now Hari fanboys claim once again that their hero was winning the fight but got unlucky.

UnleashtheFURY likes this.
  4. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    I don't want to see a trilogy match, Badr is shot and hasn't looked good in a long time. His athletism is gone and his body can't hold up to the rigors of the sport anymore.

Despite the losses I feel Hari's claim that Rico would be an afterthought in the golden age of K1 were vindicated.

2006-2009 Hari destroys Rico easily.

Brixton Bomber and DONT B SCARED like this.
  5. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    I don't know. Hari even then was a mental midget. He could bomb Verhoeven out and then lose the rematch in deveststing fashion like with Schilt.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  6. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Yep. Too much brawling and bravado BS. I genuinely believe that Rico was too set in beating Hari at his own game. When he was popping the jab out and avoiding silly exchanges he was is complete control. I still think that would even without the injury Rico would have held on and rallied to stop Hari in the championship rounds. But there's no way of knowing that for sure. Definitely needs a 3rd fight.

7. ForemanJab

May 8, 2014
    He was a hothead for sure. Verhoeven isn't on Schilt's level, not even remotely close. A pudgy, shot Badr whose punches were 2x slower than in his prime was able to land at will. He had no respect for Rico's power. Outside of getting himself DQ'd I just can't see him losing to this guy.

8. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Nah. Didn't land at will. Only landed hurtful shots when Rico decided to trade with him like an idiot. When Rico was keeping it long and popping the jab out he was in total control. If he fights smarter he beats Hari easily.

9. ForemanJab

May 8, 2014
    Nah, he was forcing him into those exchanges. Just about every time Rico opened up he was getting clipped. I just think Badr has his number but is simply too slow, old and decrepit now to finish the job.

10. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Hari was winning the fight.

Rico came out very strong at the start of the 2nd or 3rd, real fast and threw combos - still got dropped.

Badr has slowed down an awful lot, but he still troubled Rico until his gas tank started emptying.

ForemanJab likes this.
  11. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah exactly. Rico shouldn't have been opening up there early. He doesn't need to do that. He can win with jabs, pushkicks and low kicks alone. He got overzealous trying to prove a point. Again when he was fighting smart he was in total control. If Rico sticks to jabbing, push kicks and low kicks in the rematch he'll win with ease. No bravado BS. Thats not the kind of fighter he is. He's to kickboxing what Wlad and AJ are. None of their peers can beat them if they fight a certain way.

mirkofilipovic likes this.
  12. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Any chance of a trilogy or will Badr retire?

Side note: I'd have loved to have seen Rico vs Bonjasky, for some reason.

13. UnleashtheFURY

Sep 29, 2012
    That almost happened albeit vs a shot Bonjasky.