Scott Quigg

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by kojak, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    What evidence is there to think that in fairness? Quigg can take a punch just fine IMO.

2. BaronSamedi

BaronSamedi Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Just watched it

Good fight, Quigg did get hammered so many times though. Commentary was fairly biased too, kept saying Simion is a tough man hes taking a real beating etc when it was Quigg on the receiving end of a barrage of punches

Quigg didnt look particularly sharp, i think he was just really hunting the knockout because he wanted to show it was a smart choice to change trainer, plus he was on that massive stage and wanted to impress.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Well if my memory serves I've seen him put in his backside with a perfectly placed solid jab by Jamie Arthur.

I think with the new trainer, the new style and at featherweight he will be knocked out sooner rather than later.

4. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Looked poor

5. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Tbf at the time, going with haymon was the right decision. Uncle al binned him after the montiel performance.
    Lets be right..selby hasnt done much since grado and no way since then has he done anything other than ok performance.

6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    He wasn't so terrible but certainly didn't impress. Might take a little while longer until you see much change for him under Roach. I actually enjoyed the fight and the guy he's fighting isn't awful either. That said, he doesn't seem to have brought his power up and did ship more shots than you'd like

7. Ace Frehley

Ace Frehley Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It was a poor display. He actually looked better under Gallagher.

8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I am not claiming to be a boxing expert but cannot understand anyone not moving their head in a fight. Even as a kid fighting in the playgrounds etc I know how to do this as you were shown it of your dad. It's not rocket science to try and dodge punches.

9. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    He looked fairly limited, would expect Selby to outpoint him to be honest.

10. Two Shakes

Two Shakes Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Quigg didn't look great on Saturday, but lets not get carried away with the criticism.

Quigg was trying desperately to impress in front of a big crowd, and was too intent on trying to headhunt Simion instead of boxing. Simion isn't a World beater, but he is a decent fighter and he's never been stopped. He's also not the biggest puncher so Quigg knew he could be pretty reckless trying to land his own shots.

Quigg looked very lean at the weigh in, but had filled out hugely by the first bell, and when he was landing punches you could see he was the heavier hitter of the two.

I'm happy to give him a pass for the poor showing Saturday, and i'll reserve judgement until he's in with a tougher opponent.

11. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    The Arthur "knockdown" was just a once-off flash knockdown from a jab in fairness....no reflection in his chin at all.Quigg has taken big bombs since and fought through a broken jaw against Frampton.

12. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    i thought Quigg looked like he enjoyed himself being let loose...i doubt he will win any belts fighting like that though but what do you expect from a Roache fighter?they all seem to fight the same way

13. sharpy

sharpy Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Agree with you completely he is usually defensively very good in the frampton fight he actually landed more than frampton did it's as if he chose to take the shots and I think even if they don't bother you it's still a daft thing to do

14. sharpy

sharpy Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 12, 2009
    And it has to be said the commentary was pretty bad. Froch claiming he was being hit too much was a bit hyppocritical and Jonny nelson hates quigg and anyone else who isn't black or of an ethnic background

15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Quigg was in trouble against Arthur, he was genuinely hurt but yes that was a long time ago and you're right Quigg has passed bigger test but you can't get hit like Quigg gets hit at featherweight and survive very long against the top fighters.

I may be wrong but I believe Quigg will get stopped against Selby.