Scottish prospects putting it on the line

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Guy Nicho, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hearing/Reading from different sources that 4 unbeaten Scottish boy's ready to box each other fair play.

Jason Easton v Lewis Benson

Grant Quigley v Tommy Philbin

Not sure if true but if it is step in right direction, sounds like MGM want their lads in 50/50 fights

2. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    great fights if they happen, fancy Easton to finally get a win over benson. felt he has been hard done to a few time in the amateurs and the longer rounds might suit him:thumbsup:

the other one comes down to if quigley trains properly, he is by far the more talented and harder hitting but he has always seemed to gas even in 3 round amateur fights. if he sorts his training out then I think he wins but going on what I have seen I think philbin will get the win as he is very dedicated and although doesn't do anything spectacular he doesn't do much wrong, maybe can be a bit one paced if I'm being picky:thumbsup:

Scottish boxing will benefit from fights like this happening imo and it isn't just down to mgm as quigley is with saltire and Easton is managed by billy nelson:thumbsup:

3. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes it will benefit the boxing scene in Scotland if these fights start happening. I mentioned MGM as it appears to be their shows and them pushing the fights, as you rightly say takes 2 to tango though.

It seems to be the general feeling that Easton was hard done by but not sure if this is due to a dislike of Benson or an accurate reflection. I know Quigley won a semi final against Philbin and was apparently mega strong but 2 round fighter

B.A.S. likes this.
  4. boxingcrazy

boxingcrazy Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 3, 2010
    no dislike of benson but he did seem to get the favour of the judging in quite a lot of bouts, the same can be said of Joe ham though. I thought he lost all 3 bouts against Stephen Tiffany at the Scottish but he always seemed to get the decision:thumbsup:

5. Champagne Popping

Champagne Popping The TRUTH is the TRUTH banned Full Member

Dec 15, 2016
    good idea because despite British boxing as a whole being in a great place right now.. Scottish boxing is at it's worse since I've been following the sport. Hearn and Warren don't have stables there because of the lack of talent.

6. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I can confirm Sam and I spoke regarding a fight between Lewis and Jason, however both of us wanted it on there own shows so for now it won't be happening,however a big title fight could be announced for Jason very soon

7. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah like I say a few people have said he got lucky on more than one occasion, but I have noticed a lot don't like him for whatever reason. Saw Ham couple of times amatuer didn't strike me as a future star may be wrong.

Obviously Burns/Taylor good good lads but outside of that not sure how far rest can go

8. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I've heard the same mate, apparently Philbin wants it to be a 10 rounder for that reason.

Sure they've fought twice in the am's, winning one a piece.

9. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Easton v Benson would be great for the capital regardless of who put the fight on. From what I've seen of them both since they've turned pro I'd maybe slightly Easton, but it's a proper 50-50.

For MGM, I really enjoy going to their shows to see the local fighters but it is becoming a bit stale with the amount of one sided fights that are on each card. Hopefully they put their money where their mouth is and produce some decent fights in 2017.

10. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    I've only saw Easton win that title in a very untaxing fight on telly and similar Benson once on Boxnation in a very easy fight he won with 1 hand so no idea who would win, but like you say be good for Scottis boxing

Sounds like the big promoters are starting to demand that their fighters step up, if this goes down to all levels be good for boxing. Obviously 99% of fighters would fight anyone but the teams around them won't always, decision should always be right for the boxer but got to be a point when you start being in competitive contests to progress your career

11. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    Seen most of the so called prospects in Scotland. Josh Taylor is very good, and Charlie Flynn and Kieran Smith are worth keeping an eye on... apart from that don't rate any of the others Ive seen.

12. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    with respect your opinion counts for nothing, what I could suggest is maybe open your eyes when watching there lots of talented boys

B.A.S. and boxingcrazy like this.
  13. Champagne Popping

Dec 15, 2016
    well it's quite a disrespectful comment but the same goes for you.. your a one hit wonder trainer and even he ditched you.

it's simply the truth... what future world champions or even European champions will there be from scotland out of the current crop..? Guys like Joe Ham, Michael Roberts, Lewis Benson will struggle to even get to domestic level.. they will just go the same way as David Brophy, Gary Cornish, Stephen Simmons, Jon Thain.. who were hyped up by scots.
    Cmon give us a list...

14. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    well 10 world title fights 8-1-1 consists a one hit wonder in your book. winning a British title outright in Belfast with Simpson, titles with Limmond and Appleby so no one hit wonder.
    Now tell us all your achievements in the coaching game?
    Currently Simmons would beat any cruiser in UK imo
    David has only been beat by grooves and learned so much from it, he will have chances next year.
    Cornish will be starting with me next week, looking forward to improving him and see where it takes us.
    Easton is a vastly improved fighter in the last 12 months he will win more titles and continue to improve
    Tiffany, Benson, Paulin, Law,Ball,Flynn,Roberts,Quigley,
    Scottish boxing is healthy, granted lots of these lads are young but given time there will Defo be champions amongst them

B.A.S. likes this.
  15. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    spend a bit of time in a pro boxing gym and see how hard these guys work and you'd be less critical of them

kerrminator and Furey like this.