Shadow boxing video - any advice?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by JackElliott, Apr 4, 2018.

1. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Hi everybody, looking for some advice, feedback, critical comment or whatever you've got on my shadow boxing. I've been training for six months or so, but haven't got a coach per se (I know that having one is the way to go, but right now it's not an option, so.....). Any feedback would be welcome.

First, though.....how do you actually upload a video here??

Edit: figured out how to upload:

This content is protected

About 6 months into training here and mostly teaching myself (haven't got access to a boxing gym/trainers really)

I'm aware this isn't very good, so looking for specifics on what I'm doing wrong and/or tips to shadow box properly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    Upload it to YouTube or what ever platform you fancy and post the link here! You can't upload videos here directly, I think.

JackElliott likes this.
  3. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Can't share Google documents on here, mate, going to have to go the YouTube route.

The fact that you have a Google account means you automatically have a YT account (since the former bought the latter a few years ago), just navigate to YouTube.com and follow the direction to upload. :thumbsup:

I'll be happy to have a look once you put it up. (have some coaching experience)

JackElliott likes this.
  4. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Ahh.... was wondering why no comments...

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I can get it uploaded tonight

5. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Figured out how to add a video - it's in the edited first post.

Cheers

6. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Added now, thanks again

IntentionalButt likes this.
  7. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    It's a little hard to take anything from a clip this short and it depends on the style you're going for but here are my thoughts.

I notice with your feet that a couple of times you seem lead with the wrong foot slightly. So when you step to the left, you moved your right foot across before your left one, which can cause issues with balance. Your punches are nice and straight and you change your height a fair bit but it's kind of in a set rhythm so could be timed by someone (if I'm being hypercritical that is). Is the stance perhaps a tiny bit wide? I guess it depends on how you're fighting and what feels comfortable.

I wouldn't say there's anything other than maybe a little footing error that's fundamentally wrong at all.

8. ScrotieMcBoogerballs

ScrotieMcBoogerballs New Member Full Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Concentrate on moving and footwork is my tel cents. Also try to be a bit sharper and faster.

lucky luke likes this.
  9. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    As Scrotie pretty much said.

Get up on your toes, at times it looks like that front foot it cemented to the floor. And your punches must be quicker. That right hand in particular is way to slow. Try to relax your shoulders and just let the punch go.

And... If this is how you look without a trainer you definitely should find your way to a gym! Over all it looks like al right fundamentals!

10. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Your right foot is too far behind your body. That is why you can't turn your hips through on your right hand, or step into your jab properly.

Pat M likes this.
  11. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks. Yes, I think my stance is a bit too long - probably I'm overcompensating for poor balance. Wider feet certainly feels a lot more stable, but I think you're right and it costs me in mobility and in reduced effectiveness from turning the hip. Appreciate the feedback.I will try to work on shortening the stance and balance.

greynotsoold likes this.
  12. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks for taking the time, Lucky. My feet are definitely too flat and heavy so that's something to work on for sure. I've recently started skipping so I'm hoping that will have some benefits on that score.

I do tend to hold my upper body a bit tensely, trying to work on loosening up. I am hoping to find a place to train in the next few months since that's clearly the way to go - for now though I'm pretty much stuck with books and youtube vids!

13. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks. I agree - I think that movement and feet are the things that most urgently need working on. Since I can't get to a boxing gym at least in the short term, I will see what's available in terms of training vids online. Cheers

14. JackElliott

Apr 4, 2018
    Thank you for that. Yes, I think you're right and the stance is a bit too wide. It feels comfortable - but probably that's because my balance is poor when my feet are more properly positioned in under my body. I'll try to find some balance exercises to work on tightening that up. Appreciate the comments.